Author Topic: 1974 Rulebook  (Read 9206 times)

Ratliff

1974 Rulebook
« on: May 31, 2008, 12:34:05 PM »
I have a 1974 BNI rulebook.

It's about 1/8th of an inch thick.

There was no definition of what constituted an "automobile." However, rule #32 (engines) required "the car's propulsive force transmitted through the wheels" and banned the installation of jet engines, rocket motors, and JATO units.

There were 12 classes for streamliners and 12 classes for lakesters (A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, X). Streamliners and lakesters didn't have gas, fuel, supercharged, or normally aspirated records.

There were no classes for electric and turbine cars.

There were gas and fuel records for roadsters. There were no gas, fuel, supercharged, or normally aspirated records for modified roadsters and competition couples.

There were six fuel records (A, B, C, D, E, F) and six gas records (A, B, C, D, E, F) for open bikes.

Streamliner motorcycles were required to have a rollcage but there were no rules governing construction of the rollcage.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 02:36:58 PM by Ratliff »

dwarner

Re: 1974 Rulebook
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 12:38:39 PM »
so- your point?

I can;t stand it

DW

dwarner

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 12:40:49 PM »
BTW, I have one too. I like the picture.

DW

Ratliff

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 12:41:52 PM »
so- your point?

I can;t stand it

DW

Just describing the book. People can draw their own points.

Offline Freud

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 01:04:01 PM »
It also cost 3 cents to mail a letter then.

That was then. This is now.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline willieworld

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 01:35:16 PM »
everyone  i would like to collect all of the rule books --if you can help  willieworld@hotmail.com        thanks  willie buchta
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 01:42:13 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

John Romero

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 01:59:53 PM »
In 1974 the dow jones industrial index was under 600. Today it is 12,628

In 1974 the Heino released the smash single "Das Polenmädchen"

In 1974 the cost of a barrel of oil was $12. Today it is $127

In 1974 Ken began taking request for songs to include in his upcoming landmark album.

I'm not making any specific point either and you can draw your own conclusions...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 02:08:09 PM by John Romero »

Offline racergeo

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 02:11:22 PM »
      Point well taken! Under that class structure racing would develop. If there were 4 or 5 cars in your class even if conditions didn't exist for a record you'd go home pretty proud of winning your class. Now if you are the only car in your class unless you set the record you haven't achieved much. Add a few xx and xo classes to those and call them the RACE classes. All others (of the thousands) are time trials with out red hats or trophies, just a dash plaque. In Drag Racing if there is an 8 car top alcohol field and only 3 cars show up and you get 2 by runs into the finals and your competitor brakes and you get a single for the win you still get the trophy but you don't tell any one how you did it . (until about 30 years later when you make up a good story,i.e., ad a 0 to the 3 and its " there were 30 cars trying for an 8 car field and I was on fire at the 1/8th but didn't lift and won by less then a foot!")

This was started buy the most FEARED and HATED person on this site RATLIFF

So would the most LOVED and REVERED person, JACKD please jump in!!!

Just my 42 cents worth, cost of a stamp or 1/10th of a gallon of gas.

Ratliff

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 02:19:37 PM »

These are some photos I took in 1974.

Ratliff

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 02:33:41 PM »
     Point well taken! Under that class structure racing would develop. If there were 4 or 5 cars in your class even if conditions didn't exist for a record you'd go home pretty proud of winning your class. Now if you are the only car in your class unless you set the record you haven't achieved much. Add a few xx and xo classes to those and call them the RACE classes. All others (of the thousands) are time trials with out red hats or trophies, just a dash plaque. In Drag Racing if there is an 8 car top alcohol field and only 3 cars show up and you get 2 by runs into the finals and your competitor brakes and you get a single for the win you still get the trophy but you don't tell any one how you did it . (until about 30 years later when you make up a good story,i.e., ad a 0 to the 3 and its " there were 30 cars trying for an 8 car field and I was on fire at the 1/8th but didn't lift and won by less then a foot!")

This was started buy the most FEARED and HATED person on this site RATLIFF

So would the most LOVED and REVERED person, JACKD please jump in!!!

Just my 42 cents worth, cost of a stamp or 1/10th of a gallon of gas.

In 1946, Sir Malcolm Campbell (regarding his upcoming attempt with the first turbojet boat) expressed much the same sentiments when he wrote, "Well, it goes rather deeper than the mere desire to set up a new record. Standing by themselves, these speed records may mean much or little, as the case may be. Of course, there is a great sense of personal satisfaction in setting a figure which challenges the opposition but, if that were all, I should without much hesitation say that the effort was scarcely worth the time, trouble and expense involving in building a world-beating car or boat or aeroplane. It certainly would not be worth while if the achievement did not constitute a landmark on the road of progress. Every time we set up a new record of speed, either on land or water or in the air, we have learned something which can be applied to development and have travelled another distance towards that relative perfection of the machine which is the goal of human endeavor."

Ratliff

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 03:29:33 PM »
BTW, I have one too. I like the picture.

DW

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 07:44:00 PM »
This picture was the On the Bonneville poster and was taken by Glenn Freudenberger.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Ratliff

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 07:53:06 PM »
This picture was the On the Bonneville poster and was taken by Glenn Freudenberger.

That picture is a great pictorial document of early seventies racing technology.

Offline jdincau

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 08:48:50 PM »
I like the cover picture too.
Jim
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Freud

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 09:22:43 PM »
And I still have the original negative.

FREUD
Since '63