Author Topic: Another dumb question for a first timer to speedweek  (Read 2559 times)

Offline mc1984ss

Another dumb question for a first timer to speedweek
« on: May 18, 2008, 03:31:30 PM »
I was just wondering how far is Wendover form the access road to the salt?
Also will I have a hard time finding the access road off of I-80 I am assuming there is a sign or some other marking s but would like to know ahead of time. Thanks in advance!  really appreciate it! Everyone on here has been very friendly and helpfull and I am really looking forward to my trip. Thanks!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Another dumb question for a first timer to speedweek
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 04:50:18 PM »
Wendover is about 5 miles west of the access road, it's the first turn off and has a large sign that says Bonneville speedway. The road  in is another 6 miles to the salt. There is a truck stop right off the ramp and just down the road in is a camping area. You will be stopped at the end of the road to make sure you have pit passes etc. The start line can be as close as 3 miles or further depending on the salt conditions, the pit area is down around the 3 mile section of the course. Once the advance work crew gets there they will do a lay out and it will be posted on the www.scta-bni.org web site.

Enjoy your 1st time. There will be a list of items you will need to take with you and that will be on this site as we get closer to the event. :-)
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 02:13:48 PM »
Wendover is in the bottom left of the picture. The entrance road is the one going straight north, then straight east. At the end of the road you drive on the salt to the pits, about 6 miles. The pin shows the actual location of the pits as shown in Google Earth. You can zoom in an see the cars lined up.

The condition of the salt changes year-to-year, so the pits and the actual course location can radically change. Just follow everybody else.
More info here:
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,3869.0.html
http://www.landracing.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=78
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline AJR192

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 03:09:40 PM »
Just follow the trail of salt clumps through town back to where they came from! Seriously, though, Wendover is a very small town and the access road is right off of I-80. The exit is clearly marked and anyone in town will gladly give you directions. Even better, follow a racer or rodder. It really is like seeing mecca when you get there......

Offline 38Chevy454

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 03:41:27 PM »
Wendover main exit is mile 410 on NV side.  Salt flats exit is mile 4 on UT side.  Marked with a sign that says "Bonneville Speedway" as others said.  Total distance from Wendover to the hwy exit is about 5-6 miles, and then another 5-8 miles getting to the course area.  Have fun, bring an EZ-up to hang out under when you are not walking around.  A bicycle is great to save time and walking.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.....

High Quality USA-made bear claw style latches CHEAP! Now including install kits also!
buy here directly:  www.hotrodlatches.com