0 (0%)
Record in any venue as long as it is the fastest
6 (54.5%)
Only the fastest car and motorcycle only
0 (0%)
The one your mind thinks you deserve
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: What is a World Land Speed Record? is it SCTA, FIM, AMA, ECTA, El Mirage...?  (Read 32490 times)

Offline 2fast4u2c

• http://www.TigerRacingProducts.com
Guy, you've hit upon my thesis -- a speed that is faster than any other comparable vehicle has gone is the fastest in the world and can therefore be considered a world record.  Whether the record is sanctioned by any particular organization or not is beside the point (as long as the speed is measured by a certifiable method) - if you've gone faster than anyone else in the world has gone, how could you not have a world record?  Any adjective added to the description of world's fastest just dilutes the statement (i.e. world's fastest under the FIM/SCTA/DLRA/CHP/PTA rules), but the speed doesn't change.

Congratulations on the record 228++, and thanks for leaving the goal intact for when (if ever, darn it) I get back on the track with my nitrous bike.  Someplace I've got a photo of the control panel of your bike, and I'll try to find and post it here.

I believe the fundamental measure for the validity of a record is whether it is a true measure of technical progress.

For example, a short trap at the end of a mile measures whether a bike can sustain for a short period of time the horsepower needed to run whatever speeds are clocked.

Running the same speeds at Bonneville tells you whether an engine has the durability to clock those speeds over longer distances, so in that sense Bonneville and Texas/Maxton mile records are not the same fundamental measure of progress.

An excellent argument indeed.  Long or short?  Sustained High output for short time on a 1 mile high traction surface (cement runway) or go the long distance on a controlled wheel spin surface (salt-dirt) thought of as a durability venue.  This definitely is a great topic for discussion but holds zero value for anyone other than us who care to continue the topic.  Since there is no one person who can say definitively what a "World Land Speed Record" is, how it should be measured or where is should be run, we come to an impasse.

Until someone goes faster than me at any venue on any surface in my category, I shall continue to state the obvious.  Adding adjectives to the statement matters not to me.  Fastest speed is fastest speed, everything else is subjective to opinions which are just that.  But they do make for good reading.

Guy
300mph or Bust in 1 mile!!!

Tiger Racing

Ratliff

Guy, you've hit upon my thesis -- a speed that is faster than any other comparable vehicle has gone is the fastest in the world and can therefore be considered a world record.  Whether the record is sanctioned by any particular organization or not is beside the point (as long as the speed is measured by a certifiable method) - if you've gone faster than anyone else in the world has gone, how could you not have a world record?  Any adjective added to the description of world's fastest just dilutes the statement (i.e. world's fastest under the FIM/SCTA/DLRA/CHP/PTA rules), but the speed doesn't change.

Congratulations on the record 228++, and thanks for leaving the goal intact for when (if ever, darn it) I get back on the track with my nitrous bike.  Someplace I've got a photo of the control panel of your bike, and I'll try to find and post it here.

I believe the fundamental measure for the validity of a record is whether it is a true measure of technical progress.

For example, a short trap at the end of a mile measures whether a bike can sustain for a short period of time the horsepower needed to run whatever speeds are clocked.

Running the same speeds at Bonneville tells you whether an engine has the durability to clock those speeds over longer distances, so in that sense Bonneville and Texas/Maxton mile records are not the same fundamental measure of progress.

An excellent argument indeed.  Long or short?  Sustained High output for short time on a 1 mile high traction surface (cement runway) or go the long distance on a controlled wheel spin surface (salt-dirt) thought of as a durability venue.  This definitely is a great topic for discussion but holds zero value for anyone other than us who care to continue the topic.  Since there is no one person who can say definitively what a "World Land Speed Record" is, how it should be measured or where is should be run, we come to an impasse.

Until someone goes faster than me at any venue on any surface in my category, I shall continue to state the obvious.  Adding adjectives to the statement matters not to me.  Fastest speed is fastest speed, everything else is subjective to opinions which are just that.  But they do make for good reading.

Guy

Outside of whether the clocks are accurate, a lot of it is a matter of opinion.

Blue

I think that records have to be certified by an independent sanctioning body that plays fair:  i.e. holds everyone to the same rules.  The current LSR sanctioning bodies do that pretty well.  I am a <little> uncomfortable with the fact that there are "world records" that can be run with the wind.  Yes the FIA is a little byzantine, but they do have the gold standard with the two-way-mile-in-an-hour.  If we didn't have this, we'd have to admit the Bud rocket broke Mach 1 without making any visible or audible shock. :roll:

JMHO, ThrustSSC did it first.  Now, we need to go above the transonic (M.6 to M1.2) and go fully supersonic.  We'll see if we can knock and course markers down...

Ratliff

I think that records have to be certified by an independent sanctioning body that plays fair:  i.e. holds everyone to the same rules.  The current LSR sanctioning bodies do that pretty well.  I am a <little> uncomfortable with the fact that there are "world records" that can be run with the wind.  Yes the FIA is a little byzantine, but they do have the gold standard with the two-way-mile-in-an-hour.  If we didn't have this, we'd have to admit the Bud rocket broke Mach 1 without making any visible or audible shock. :roll:

JMHO, ThrustSSC did it first.  Now, we need to go above the transonic (M.6 to M1.2) and go fully supersonic.  We'll see if we can knock and course markers down...

Best speed by the Budweiser car through an electric eye timing trap was 692 mph, clocked on the next to last run.

Offline Malcolm UK

Regarding Budweiser Rocket

Whose clocks, were they certified for accuracy, who measured the timing distance (perhaps they paced it out?). 

Can we see any independent mathematics of speed calculation regarding 692 mph?

Malcolm UK

PS

Keith, Slim, Doug and Company, on patrol in this forum - how long a ban do I get if I ridicule both Waldo and Franklin in one e mail regarding the introduction page ? :-D

Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Ratliff

Whose clocks, were they certified for accuracy, who measured the timing distance (perhaps they paced it out?). 

Malcolm UK

PS

Keith, Slim, Doug and Company, on patrol in this forum - how long a ban do I get if I ridicule both Waldo and Franklin in one e mail regarding the introduction page ? :-D

Earl Flanders did the timing. Don't have any reason to believe he didn't know how to set up clocks.

Offline Larry Forstall

Oh Boy I love this stuff. Welcome back Franklin, now play nice !! The Thrust SST is the first and only car to go supersonic as the Bud's best was 692 .(It missed the traps on the final run and the team got the Air Force to use land radar to "calculate" that it broke the sound barrier. lol ). If his balloon hadn't escaped the Frenchman might have exceeded 1000 mph in freefall. An extreme example of air friction (or lack of). So the summary is: N/A needs cool temps. and low altitude. Forced induction needs higher altitude and modest temps. Based on speed both cars and the fastest bikes need distance. GPS and radar don't count. If it is a record for the venue then it is the Fastest. I am just one Mega Lotto ticket from my 15 mile indoor LSR track with controlled environment, computer calculated runoff cushioning, and high traction paving. Night racing, no problem, I will use Musco lighting. I will put it in the geographic center of the US and send free tranport for overseas racers. Now excuse me, I have to go buy a ticket.  :-D

Offline Sam Green

Malcolm UK

PS

Malc, stop winding the colonials up, don't you think they sound confused enough  :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Sam. :roll:
175cc Woodbridge Mile record holder 118.3mph

Ratliff

Oh Boy I love this stuff. Welcome back Franklin, now play nice !! The Thrust SST is the first and only car to go supersonic as the Bud's best was 692 .(It missed the traps on the final run and the team got the Air Force to use land radar to "calculate" that it broke the sound barrier. lol ). If his balloon hadn't escaped the Frenchman might have exceeded 1000 mph in freefall. An extreme example of air friction (or lack of). So the summary is: N/A needs cool temps. and low altitude. Forced induction needs higher altitude and modest temps. Based on speed both cars and the fastest bikes need distance. GPS and radar don't count. If it is a record for the venue then it is the Fastest. I am just one Mega Lotto ticket from my 15 mile indoor LSR track with controlled environment, computer calculated runoff cushioning, and high traction paving. Night racing, no problem, I will use Musco lighting. I will put it in the geographic center of the US and send free tranport for overseas racers. Now excuse me, I have to go buy a ticket.  :-D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta3M3_65Fkk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCDVjhleEhQ

Speaking of high altitude, it amazes me no one has yet tried running on the 14,000 foot elevation Salar de Uyuni in Bolivia.

Offline Sam Green

I am just one Mega Lotto ticket from my 15 mile indoor LSR track with controlled environment, computer calculated runoff cushioning, and high traction paving. Night racing, no problem, I will use Musco lighting. I will put it in the geographic center of the US and send free tranport for overseas racers. Now excuse me, I have to go buy a ticket.  :-D

That's a great idea Larry, as an overseas competitor, can I be the first to put my name down ?  :-D :-D :-D :-D
Being indoors, no wind and all that, no need for two way runs....save on fuel :-D :-D :-D

By the way, who'll be doing the timing, will I be able to call it an official LSR+  :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Sam. :roll:

Ratliff

Guy

With trap speeds of close to 260 mph, Top Fuel hydros are A LOT faster than Unlimiteds, yet it's always the Unlimiteds that get credit as "the world's fastest prop-driven boats."

Offline Bobby c

Wow! this is the coolest thread!
Please keep it going
Bob

Offline Sam Green

Yes Bobby but, whos side are you on ? the world landspeed record holders or THE WORLD LAND SPEED RECORD HOLDERS. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Sam. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Offline 2fast4u2c

• http://www.TigerRacingProducts.com
Land Speed Record Holders whose Land Speed Records are the fastest in the world making them World Land Speed Record Holders of World Land Speed Records.
300mph or Bust in 1 mile!!!

Tiger Racing

Offline Sam Green

your post was 2fast4me2c :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Sam. :wink: