0 (0%)
Record in any venue as long as it is the fastest
6 (54.5%)
Only the fastest car and motorcycle only
0 (0%)
The one your mind thinks you deserve
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: What is a World Land Speed Record? is it SCTA, FIM, AMA, ECTA, El Mirage...?  (Read 32486 times)

bak189

If one were to handle it right a FIM motorcycle "World Record"
can and will get you future sponsorship
help.............the rest gets you a hand shake and a piece of paper............Hey, racing is expensive...Right...........................................................

Offline willieworld

Sometimes fast is not that good. Watch the video and see for yourself. Warning...rated R

Sheri Buchta

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaZksyi-Z8E
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 07:15:10 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
If one were to handle it right a FIM motorcycle "World Record"
can and will get you future sponsorship
help.............the rest gets you a hand shake and a piece of paper............Hey, racing is expensive...Right...........................................................

I have an SCTA speedweek record and an ECTA record. I also got a handshake and a check from my new sponsor!
Is that "check" the piece of paper you're talking about?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 07:36:54 PM by Rchop »
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline PanchoPistoles

• New folks
Don't forget, Glen, I was up there with you from 2001 on.  There was also the option of the BNI-International course. Exactly the same as FIA but without the official stamp.  But I was talking about now, and as you point out, it is not practical now, with the large number of entrants at WF.

As for the "the fastest is the fastest", I was using the international (or world) designation in the official, bureaucratic sense, not implying that it is in some way superior. A BNI record, in my mind, is in no way a lesser accomplishment. We all cheer when a record falls to be replaced by a larger number and it happens over and over at every meet.  Can't get any better than that.
Regards, Frank
I know how fast you were going.

Offline Peter Jack

Sheri:

That's funny!

Pete

Offline Sam Green

Hi guys, This is the way I see this.
You can be your countries national land speed record holder. (SCTA, AMA, ECTA)
You can be the international land speed record holder. (FIM)
If your countries national record is faster than the international record, and is faster than any other countries national record, only then can you lay claim to the world land speed record.
In my class, the FIM record is 8mph faster than the British record. The American record is a further 7mph away.
If I was to break the FIM record, I wouldn't consider myself the world land speed record holder for my class if I didn't better the American figure.
World record holder yes, world land speed record holder no.
Just my take on it, thanks for reading :wink:

Sam.

P.S. nice forum. 8-)
175cc Woodbridge Mile record holder 118.3mph

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Sam seems to be a pretty smart feller...  8-) 8-)
Most of us see it that way.  FIA and FIM don't have classes for everything that runs a Bonneville, so a World Land Speed Record is easily attained....   :|  Did I say easily...  :-o  Maybe it should be an easy call after you set one...
Sam Welcome to LSR, sounds like you have a firm grasp of the situation
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Malcolm UK

Response to Dave Dahlgren

Having been at dinner last weekend with Andy Green and Richard Noble (alomg with 56 other record holders or enthusiasts) I can confirm that the Thruist SSC team consider they made two too many runs during the '97 campaign.

The record fell on October 15th, but both owner and driver would have preferred it if they had achieved the record on the 13th (a day when chute failure caused the over run in distance and more than 60 minutes elapsed between runs) when two supersonic runs had been achieved.

The SSC team did not contrive to get their record to coincide with the first in flight supersonic speed.

Malcolm
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline Malcolm UK

Whilst the bike world seems to be getting an "International" act together with the AMA/BUB and to some extent SCTA through their classes.  You still have to convince me Sam that the method of operation gives parity between sanctioning bodies.  [For national records in the UK racers should remember we only have two mile runways such as Woodbridge and Elvington]. 

With the four wheeled world I cannot see the FIA ever running separate body classifications for such vehicles as Comp Coupe or Roadster.  Even getting the capacity classes for internal combustion engines the same, seems to be a distant hope.  And as with the 'bikes the operating conditions remain to be dealt with - and whilst Speedweek, World of Speed and World Finals remain so popular there is little chance of the USA reverting to two way runs, except for the very few.  Hence there are 'more' private events by UK and US racers under FIA on the salt each year.

Malcolm

Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline willieworld

i looked up the FIM record for 1000cc sidecar for the mile with a standing start it is 133.980 km/h  so i converted my gas run from last saturday of 132.280 to kilometers its 212.970 km/h -hmmmmmmmm i like this kilometer thing 212 it didnt really feel that fast      willie buchta
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 05:39:03 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Sam Green

Whilst the bike world seems to be getting an "International" act together with the AMA/BUB and to some extent SCTA through their classes.  You still have to convince me Sam that the method of operation gives parity between sanctioning bodies.  [For national records in the UK racers should remember we only have two mile runways such as Woodbridge and Elvington]. 

With the four wheeled world I cannot see the FIA ever running separate body classifications for such vehicles as Comp Coupe or Roadster.  Even getting the capacity classes for internal combustion engines the same, seems to be a distant hope.  And as with the 'bikes the operating conditions remain to be dealt with - and whilst Speedweek, World of Speed and World Finals remain so popular there is little chance of the USA reverting to two way runs, except for the very few.  Hence there are 'more' private events by UK and US racers under FIA on the salt each year.

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm, I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say there, are you saying that the diferent organizations that run speed events in the States and claiming National record status, are not all timed in the same way as FIM sanctioned events?

Sam.

Offline tortoise

You will find most of the racers don't give a damn about FIA records. Ask any of them.
Unfortunately, I can't ask Nolan White.

Offline kip305

• New folks
If your world encompasses all venues, than a record must be sanctioned by the world body to be a world record.  If your record is at El Mirage and that is your world, than that should be your world record.  The only way to have a world record is to run in a vaccumm 
Louie
Still like to go fast

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
i looked up the FIM record for 1000cc sidecar for the mile with a standing start it is 133.980 km/h  so i converted my gas run from last saturday of 132.280 to kilometers its 212.970 km/h -hmmmmmmmm i like this kilometer thing 212 it didnt really feel that fast      willie buchta

Willie, welcome to the 200 KPH Club ....  now ya gotta try to get in the 3 chapter...  :roll:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Sam Green

Sam seems to be a pretty smart feller...  8-) 8-)
Most of us see it that way.  FIA and FIM don't have classes for everything that runs a Bonneville, so a World Land Speed Record is easily attained....   :|  Did I say easily...  :-o  Maybe it should be an easy call after you set one...
Sam Welcome to LSR, sounds like you have a firm grasp of the situation

Thanks for the kind words Stainless, Willie is over the moon with his new world sidecar record, an improvement of 78.990km/h :-o :-o :-o  I wonder which rotten person will spoil his new found fame and tell him that the 133.980km/h is only the average speed :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D I can be rotten at times :evil: :evil: :evil: sorry Willie

Sam. :-D