Author Topic: I am new to speedweek and have some questions, I could use advice  (Read 13734 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: I am new to speedweek and have some questions, I could use advice
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2008, 01:32:24 PM »
Salt-X also has a auto spray unit that mixes the correct ratio of salt-x and water, this connects to a garden hose like a garden sprayer. It's for applying and clean up after wards. Good for cars and bikes and does not hut paint or plating. I just ordered the spray unit for $24.95. It's the easiest way to apply the product and protect your vehicle. I have used the salt-x for 8 or 9 years.Look up their web site and all of the data is there. :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2008, 01:47:12 PM »
Glen:

I went to the Salt-X site, but before I order -- how much is what I should buy?  I've got the truck, the race trailer -- and do I want to spray all three race bikes, too?  If so -- gallon?  5 gallons?  I see the auto mixer -- that'll probably be a good idea and might save me some product from incorrect mixing.

What about Saltbuster vs. Salt-X?  Is the -X for before and the Buster for when we get home again?

Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2008, 01:59:28 PM »
Jon
1 gallon will last a couple of years. I use only salt-x before and after only. That's what they said to use. :-)
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2008, 02:09:35 PM »
Glen:

I went to the Salt-X site, but before I order -- how much is what I should buy?  I've got the truck, the race trailer -- and do I want to spray all three race bikes, too?  If so -- gallon?  5 gallons?  I see the auto mixer -- that'll probably be a good idea and might save me some product from incorrect mixing.

What about Saltbuster vs. Salt-X?  Is the -X for before and the Buster for when we get home again?

Thanks.

From looking at their site I think you should also order some ...........Phew-Go!  The Finest Organic Deodorizer available!

Not that you personally need any  :-), but in your line of work on the salt it might be a good thing  :evil: ,

Sum

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2008, 02:16:13 PM »
Sum, is that something like CRAP-BE-GONE. Just kidding but I think salt - x is still the best of all of the products out there. With the new pre mixer unit it will be much easier to use.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline hoppedupandcutdown

• New folks
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2008, 02:18:51 PM »
Now we're cookin'!  
 Thanks for all the tips. How about magnesium wheels, will the salt-x and others protect them? Has any one tried installing a sacrificial anode, like a boat motor? Has anyone experienced electrical corrosion and failure?
 Also, the reason for our road trip is that several years ago my buddy flew out and the "honey" at the rental car counter put the fear of God into him about taking the rental car off-road, so he didn't. Bad week for him.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2008, 02:44:30 PM »
The original product was developed for marine engines and marine products. Their web site should tell everything you need to know. All I can say it's a product thats perfect for people tha race on the salt.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2008, 03:34:39 PM »
Now we're cookin'!  
 Thanks for all the tips. How about magnesium wheels, will the salt-x and others protect them? Has any one tried installing a sacrificial anode, like a boat motor? Has anyone experienced electrical corrosion and failure?

Everyone that has gone to the salt has experienced electrical corrosion and failure.  Salt can wreak havoc on your electrical.  Bonneville is the only place I have been bit by 12 volts.   Make sure everything is clean and tight before and after the trip.

Don't worry about your mag if it is coated properly, it it is not, the sacrificial anode is already in place....  :roll:  A set of cheap steelies might be in order....  8-)

Have fun, it is gearhead paradise
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline hoppedupandcutdown

• New folks
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2008, 06:48:08 PM »
Oh well, I guess I'll be the guy with raw 12 spoke magnesium spindle mounts putting the Salt-X to the test.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2008, 07:50:50 PM »
We had our 18" Halibrand Indy wheels on the salt numerous times.  They're polished, but Simichrome cleaned them right up -- more water spots than anything else.  If they're on your race car, you better consult the Rule Book before tech.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline Wester

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2008, 01:33:08 AM »
The pond at the end of the access road shouldn't be much of a problem this year.  Intrepid, the new owner of the potash facility in cooperation with the BLM, put down enough salt to fill in the deep spot.  Reports we have had say it is really not going to be a problem.  I will second the comments about gently flushing the salt away.  The car wash in Wendover recycles their water so you are putting salty water, under pressure, into the seams on your vehicle.  Better to use Salt-X, WD-40 and such at home.  I have used 5 weight motor oil from a spray bottle.  Messes up my glasses and the shirt I wore needed 40 Mule Team Borax and hot water along with laundry detergent to get it clean after spraying on the oil.  It does help however.  I've used Salt-X in a spray bottle and solved most of my after exposure problems.  A second hit a couple of days after the first doesn't hurt.  Apparently the salt is very hard on the electrical connections for anti-lock brakes.  There are horror stories about rusted brakes on trailers that don't get thoroughly cleaned until time for the next trip to Bonneville.

Offline power58

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2008, 12:38:16 PM »
Last year was my first year on the salt. The advice from this list was priceless
to a newbe!! Used SPF 50 , bought a napsack that I put bottles of water in.
Went through a 6 pak of water real quick. bought a case and it was almost gone the first day. Brought a spare pair of shoes to walk around in, and changed to a pair to drive home in. Had a long sleeved shirt and wide hat. The only sun trouble I had was that I forgot to put sunscreen on my hands. The cool thing is that you can park almost anywhere. The freedom of Bonneville is like no other in racing. You will have a great time.     
My inner child pretty much runs the place

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2008, 12:19:13 PM »
I took my '04 GMC pickup to the shop yesterday for the annual brake cleaning and inspection.  They called this morning -- only four of the four calipers and four of the four rotors need replacing.  $1400!  They said all four calipers were soundly seized -- proof that Wendover loctite is good stuff, even with regular maintenance.

Unh, take this as my suggestion that you spend even more time cleaning your vehicle after you've been on the salt.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2008, 05:54:37 PM »
Thanks for the tip on the recycled water at the Bendover car wash, I sure didnt know about that and Im sure Im not the only one.