Author Topic: Hayabusa brakes and salt  (Read 2410 times)

Offline V8Pinto

Hayabusa brakes and salt
« on: April 03, 2008, 01:06:29 AM »
Had normal salt damage on tow rig and bike after 2007 Speedweek (my first time at Bonneville).  Trying to figure out how to get my brakes to stop squeaking.  I replaced pads and rotors look *ok*.  Not grooved or anything odd looking.  Everything is very clean.  What gives? 

Am I going to have to replace rotors after every trip to the salt?

Cause' I'm still gonna go to the salt...I just want to know if I need more rotors  :-D
Shane
V8 Pinto on juice
Hayabusa on the brain
Twin-Turbo F150 4x4

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Hayabusa brakes and salt
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 09:24:46 AM »
Had normal salt damage on tow rig and bike after 2007 Speedweek (my first time at Bonneville).  Trying to figure out how to get my brakes to stop squeaking.  I replaced pads and rotors look *ok*.  Not grooved or anything odd looking.  Everything is very clean.  What gives? 

Am I going to have to replace rotors after every trip to the salt?

Cause' I'm still gonna go to the salt...I just want to know if I need more rotors  :-D

I'm trying to determine right now if I'm going to replace mine or get them turned.  They aren't that old but the cooling fins are really loaded with rust.  This is the first time I've had to do this as a result of Speedweek.  Last year was the first that I've had to drive thru that much water.  The couple years before we broke before the rains came, so no you won't have to replace them every year,

Sum

landracing

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 11:01:39 AM »
brake noises are 95% of the time related to the friction material. Is slides look ok, I would just replace the pads, or as an alternative take some fine grit sand paper and sand the pads, after that used a mild dish soap and water and wash the pads, dont srub them, you are just trying to get sanded particles off them. For the rotors, do the same with sand paper or a whizz wheel and use soapy water to wash them.

Jon

Offline guttley782

• http://www.angelicbulldog.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 12:25:14 PM »
We just find it easier to take the brakes off the front altogether. After all, you don't need them at Bonneville. That just leaves the back one to sort out. It also makes less drag on the front!
An eccentric Englishman building a motorcycle streamliner with the help of a few friends!

Offline mike mendoza

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 01:54:37 PM »
We just find it easier to take the brakes off the front altogether. After all, you don't need them at Bonneville. That just leaves the back one to sort out. It also makes less drag on the front!
you can only go as fast as you can stop :-o

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 02:15:49 PM »
mike    ive went a lot faster than i could stop several times  lol   willie buchta

come on jack help me out here 

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 03:21:41 PM »
Brake squeal can be caused by a bunch of things. Rust is certainly one of them. You can clean the rust off of the rotor, but it becomes a permanent part of the pads. What Jon mentioned is a good start. You may have to replace the pads to make it go away. A different brand may work better. Starting with a roughed up surface on both the disc and pads will help them re-seat. It may take a new set of pads. What you are hearing is a vibration through the disc and the caliper. A small amount of lubricant between the pad and piston can help.

Burnishing the brakes will help. Brake power is generated by the friction material on the pads embedding into the surface of the rotor, re-bonding to the friction material still on the pads and then breaking apart or shearing.  In order for this bonding/shearing to occur, the friction material must first be displaced onto the surface of the rotor.  This typically happens during the first 10 – 50 stops of a brake system and is referred to as “burnishing” the rotor and pads.  When a rotor is cleaned, it will need to be re-burnished again to re-deposit the friction material onto the surface.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline V8Pinto

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 04:49:43 PM »
I replaced all the pads (with stock Suzuki parts) and cleaned it our real well with gun brushes and brake cleaner, soap and water, and beer.  Just wondering if I should remove the calipers and look for more gunk cause' the new pads squeak too.  Guess I'll just take it all apart and see..  I like the idea of hitting stuff with some light abrasive to help things seat. 
Shane
V8 Pinto on juice
Hayabusa on the brain
Twin-Turbo F150 4x4