Author Topic: El Mirage procedures  (Read 18530 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
El Mirage procedures
« on: April 02, 2008, 11:32:08 AM »
The 2008 El Mirage Operating Procedures have been posted on the www.scta-bni.org web site.
There are several changes. Please read if you run at the dry lake. 8-)
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Re: El Mirage procedures
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 04:11:00 PM »
I took a quick scan of the procedures and here are the underlined portions.

All Rookies must attend a Rookie orientation before driving/riding and comply with all requirements set forth in the procedures, e.g. shut off in the lights, run under 150 MPH.
Regardless of SCTA license held, all Rookie drivers/riders must make a first run under 150 MPH from the rookie line.

A. Course, Preparation, Facilities, & Areas Setup
The course areas are maintained over the year on non meet weekends through a Course Preparation
process which requires the supporting clubs to provide manpower to accomplish the various tasks.
The penalty for SCTA Member Clubs non-fulfillment of their assigned duty is as follows:
1) Forfeiture of Club Points for the next meet (following the failed duty date) and,
2) Loss of first round run privileges for the same meet

B. Meet Starting Time
Generally the drivers’ meeting will be held no earlier than 7:15 a.m. (conditions permitting) at the Starting
Line Announcers Stand. A separate patrol personnel meeting will be held prior to the drivers meeting at
6:50 at the starting line.
Time trials are scheduled to begin no earlier than 7:30 a.m. (conditions
permitting) provided club duties are completed and patrols are in position. Club Duties and patrols rosters
are included in these procedures as Appendix A

Out of Bounds Penalties – During any given calendar year, Any driver / rider whose race
vehicle goes “out of bounds”, either past the cone marked end or out of the cone marked side of the
course will be subjected to the following penalties:
1) First offense will result in a mandatory re-inspection and an entry in the log book
2) Second offense will result in loss of the entrants points for that meet
3) Third offense will result in referral to the SCTA Board for disciplinary action
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

LVMAXX

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 05:43:50 PM »
 :-D
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 10:37:28 AM by LVMAXX »

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 05:53:51 PM »
As far as I know a "hans" type device is not required yet.  I believe devices attched to your seat (if rigid enough) or the cage for lateral miovement is required in all vehicles.

Someone on this site did say they needed to add something for additional lateral support at Bonneville in order to run. As I remember they had installed manfactured "wings" but they were not rigid enough and could bend easily............Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

LVMAXX

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 06:02:09 PM »
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 10:37:48 AM by LVMAXX »

Offline jdincau

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 08:55:00 PM »
Yes you will need to add the side to side head restraints.
Jim
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 09:55:33 PM »
I wouldn't exactly call them restraints.  You can only have a certain distance that your head can move side to side, I believe it is 2 inches on both sides.

LVMAXX

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 10:21:13 AM »
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 10:38:12 AM by LVMAXX »

LVMAXX

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 01:07:41 PM »
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 10:38:41 AM by LVMAXX »

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 01:09:37 PM »
2"s is the max, 1" is better!

We started with about 4"s per side (had widened the shoulder bar by 4"s and thus the cage). Fab'ed 1" bars to reduce the distance then added 2 pieces of SFI padding to get down to about 1" lateral movement.

You have a different issue with a manufactured seat.

Off the topic, I'm running a Bowtie 700R4 (done by Steve Holmes)in a roadster with a D class engine. I'm switching to a 4 Speed for several reasons. I found that if I had to lift or peddle in OD that I couldn't get the RPM back up.  What size engine will you be running? Obviously less of an issue with a bigger engine making more torque.

Tom

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 01:45:07 PM »
To be on the safe side and saving $$$$ wait for the new rule book to come out in case there are additional changes/requirements. Once they are approved by the board the new changes will be posted on the SCTA/BNI web sitee.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

LVMAXX

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 05:55:41 PM »
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 10:39:04 AM by LVMAXX »

Offline RichFox

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 06:04:31 PM »
I bought the right and left side $26 dollar supports and there is no way that they will pass inspection on their own. You can bend them with out any real force. I use mine between my helmet and roll cage tube supports. A nice place to locate cushions but not in any way an acceptable head restraint.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 06:06:31 PM »
.................At the test session last month it ran 90 MPH, and I started in 'Overdrive' for the first pass, and it never shifted into overdrive.

In the second pass, it ran 110 MPH, starting in 'Overdrive', and it downshifted.

The third pass, I started in third (3rd) gear, and it ran 125 MPH, never downshifted into overdrive.........

If you put it in Drive (the OD postion) what rpm will it up-shift at WOT?  Mine is set-up to upshift at 5000 rpm at the moment, but that can be changed.

Also some 700R4's won't shift into OD under WOT.  Mine will and it is my understanding that only the vette and HO Camaros would unless the transmission has been modified.  You might want to check into that.  I can put mine in 3rd and it will stay in 3rd over 5000 rpm and will then shift to 4th when I move the shift lever into OD.  Mine is also set-up to not back-shift from 4th to 3rd unless I'm over 2/3's throttle.  Most will back-shift under less throttle than that.  There is a simple valve you can change for that.

The 700R4 can be set-up in lots of different shift configurations,

Sum

LVMAXX

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 06:31:15 PM »
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 10:39:30 AM by LVMAXX »