Author Topic: so how long is the shutdown area/  (Read 6533 times)

Offline Carl Johansson

so how long is the shutdown area/
« on: May 04, 2008, 10:36:32 AM »
so after you go through the traps,  how much shutdown is there at Goliad?  I went to their website,  but couldn't find it anywhere.  In the supercars show shot there,  the guy says it's only 1/2 mile of shutdown,  and that does't seem right!

Carl Johansson
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: so how long is the shutdown area/
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 12:00:33 PM »
so after you go through the traps,  how much shutdown is there at Goliad?  I went to their website,  but couldn't find it anywhere.  In the supercars show shot there,  the guy says it's only 1/2 mile of shutdown,  and that does't seem right!

Carl Johansson

I think Stainless told me maybe even less than that.  Stainless??

Sum

Offline 1 fast evo 2

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 09:58:33 PM »
It is a 1/2 mile or maybe a little less. It's not bad until you are really moving like over 200 unless your brakes are" not so good". I would highly rec. a parachute(if you run a car that is).
E.C.T.A. 200 MPH club
Winner HOTROD TOPSPEED CHALLENGE (superstreet) 2008
My EVO 2 - 8.96@158 mph in the 1/4
221.4 mph at Maxton sept. 08
223.6 mph at the Texas mile oct. 08
237.6 mph at Maxton april 2010

Offline tricktom1

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 02:32:27 PM »
it's supposed to be 1/2 mile. I've been 237 with no problem. I would not recommend that fast for a newbie though. They have a drive through before everything starts, I recommend that for sure.
TexasMile 261.5 MPH
http://www.houstonmile.com/

Offline TheRipler

• http://www.landsharksti.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 03:05:22 PM »

Just from rough guestimates on google earth, it's ~.5mi of good shutdown before the turnaround, and there's ~.2mi more of WWII era concrete if that's not enough. If you need more, there is a pasture. I would recommend stopping before you get to that.
Professor Weinburger sighed, knowing that without the alien mother to care for the last surviving egg of her once-proud species, the egg would surely die; still, he thought, greasing the fry-pan, it certainly was going to be an interesting breakfast.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 03:43:56 PM »
http://www.airnav.com/airport/7T3            looks like they have 2 runways 8000 ft each ------            willie buchta
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 03:46:04 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 05:27:10 PM »
The Race runway is a Standard Navy "bounce strip, to practice carrier landings" ---1000' of concrete on each end with 7000' of very smooth asphalt in between. the problem is you dont start at the outer edge of the concrete----have only seen pictures of start line.  But I checked it out in '99 when Govt. just turned it over to the county. Skip and I were looking for a test strip.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless Two

• newest member of the 199.9 club :)
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 12:23:30 AM »
It can get a little hairy on weak brakes.  I was getting high 180s and had to engine brake hard and full rear brake at the end for the lack of the front disks and rotors.  I tested the overrun area once as well :)

Standard brakes should not have any problems.
Look at my new RED HAT!!!!

#278 1000CC APS-G 208.959MPH record
209.093 mph best time

pit bitch to #1000 Bockscar

Proud to be a Texan!  in San Antonio

Offline willieworld

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 01:55:32 AM »
the faa says its 8000 ft-and on each end is 1000 ft of concrete leaving 6000 ft of pavement-----------------http://www.airnav.com/airport/7T3  ------------willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 09:11:22 AM »
Willie---who you gona believe---the FAA of my senior memory!!!!!!!!!!  LOL thanks for setting the record straight---there is a 1000' of semi-packed gravel beyond the concrete.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!