Author Topic: Your First Ride down the salt  (Read 3825 times)

landracing

Your First Ride down the salt
« on: March 29, 2008, 09:22:17 AM »
Do you remember your first ride down the salt? Share your experience here.

I remember it like yesterday. I wheeled my 600cc contraption up the to start line. The excitement I felt that I had created this machine and it was my turn on the salt. I was waiting for my brother to show up to send me off the line, however he was in line with his machine on the long course at that time.
Scott Guthrie and my dad were there to send me off. Bill Taylor gave me his famous line to rookies on the salt. "Be Safe, The throttle works both way and Have fun." While staring at Bill Taylor he was on the radio waiting for the all clear, Scott comes up to me and gives me some words of advice, "Get into it easy, get comfortable on the bike, get a nice tuck and roll into the throttle easy while going thru the gears." I listened to him so intently. I was very nervoud, my legs were shaky and i was sweeting like crazy in the August heat. Taylor then have me the famous go ahead, signaling to put face shield down and pointing down the course. I gently put it into gear and whatever Scott had told me just went out the door, I hammered the hell out it. It really seemed forever for the first mile to come and by that time I was already in 5th gear, then I just held it easy from there.

That was my first time down the salt. This was the original look of the bike from then.

After the run my legs still shaky waiting for my crew. Smile ear to ear, an accomplishment I will never forget.

Offline isiahstites

Re: Your First Ride down the salt
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 09:31:51 AM »
How fast was your first pass?

Scott

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 11:06:22 AM »
I usually drive at Elmo and my dad drives at bville.  One year we were having difficulties keeping the blower belts intact and my dad asked if I wanted to drive and the response was hell ya.  The fastest that I had gone at Elmo was 229 and did not know what to expect at speeds higher than that, I also didn't know what it was going to feel like with the different gearing.  So as I push off and get going I feel a little tense on how things will go with the engine and the car not knowing how to drive at Bville or the longer distance.  As I drive everything is going great, a little drift of the car, but nothing disturbing and as I get just pass the 3 boom.  No not a terrible boom just another blower belt and our week was finished.  I went through the 3 at 252 and change.  I did get my AA license which was a good thing.  My only pass at Bonneville was a boom.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 11:26:56 AM »
My first ride was in  1955 in a twin engine comp. coupe that I helped Jack Grub build.One blown and one unblown flat head engine. Had lots of problems and it was evil handling with all of the weight on the front wheels. We were in the same class as Mickey Thompson. We never made it past the 3 mile. I do remember that that was the longest 3 miles in the world.  :-D
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 04:38:34 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 11:47:37 AM »
I remember my borrowed leathers choking me in the tuck. And the shocks were set too soft. Couldn't keep control of the bike over 75 mph. Which lead to my cousin's infamous observation that it was faster on the trailer.

The second pass, however....

Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 12:31:47 PM »
 '00
I was one of the eng. partners & we ran Skip's 4400 as a AA/GS with Gary Allens as driver and his SBC up front.  My EFI BBC was in back..First trip to the salt as a racer, lots offun

In '01 we campainged as AA/GL with me as driver and my 509 in back. I had spent hours sitting in the car on early Sunday mornings.  I spent nearly evey Sat. night with Skip and Joyce --we worked on the cary virtually every Sat. and Sunday.

The car was long coarse qualified---we caught grief when they saw my rookie sticker and we were on the long---the log book straightend this out- the car had been repainted over the winter---no long coarse sticker. I will forever cherish that the guy who checked my straps was none other than Bob Higbee---I have forever regretted that I didn't wait to get him to sign off my timming slip---I was in such a hurry to get on with my lisc. runs---we had a lot to get through.

We had 2.50 gears with a AT400---the car will run 2 at the first mile---so I spent time just playing with the throttle and steering---slowing down---nailing it---trying  to learn---147--at the 1/4---nailed it again and poped the chute befor the 3, turned out and just  ---135 for the mile----for I was so new--I got out of the car just walked around in utter disbelief,  I had just completed a run on the BONNEVILLE SALT FLATS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was higher than a tree I was standing on the Salt--but I could see downtown SLC!!!  Later I
got questions about what I was dooing!!!!!!

The later driving out on the salt watching the presunrise, with the car in impound---what a religous experience-- you  experience the presence of GOD in one of his most unique creations SUNRISE over Wasatch!!!!!!!!!!

We ended the week with 2 records on opens one was based on two lisc runs--AA/FL 262 and 280 "club" minimum---our AA/GL 267.on a 270 Club min. was bumped to 271 this year by Dauernhiem-Biglow---congratulations guys---Now I will not have to run on the dreaded MIN------yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Dave Haller

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 03:11:51 PM »
My first ride on the salt was back in 1994 in a Monza I had purchased as a roller from Doc Jefferies. I powered it with a Toyota four cylinder and never made any real speed with it. I gave up and sold it off after three years of trying. Was going to walk away and saw on A & E a special on Speedweek. Saw Ken Walkey, Al Teague, Nolan White and a bunch of others I had met and visited with. Got stung again with the need for speed and the salt. Purchased a 1990 Beretta that Carlson and Duerkson had built and modified it. I will never forget my licensing runs in that hot rod. When I got my A license I realized I had become a part of the family that runs at Bonneville. Got my best back door speed at 228 on a 233 record at the time. Realized that wasn't going to be fast enough and sold the Beretta to a now good friend, Doug Wright who continues to campaign the car. Bought Mike Cook and Billy Hodges lakester as a roller and now have it ready for the salt. Ran it in 07 and had new car gremlins. Got those fixed and am putting in a quick change in the next few weeks. Selling the narrowed 9 inch once that is done, it's powder coated with wilwood brakes, Strange awels, 2.47's with a spool if anyone is interested out there. The goal on the Lakester is to capture the A/FL 292 record held by one of my best friends, Marlo Triet. A daunting task but is very fun trying. My number is 93, the year my daughter Victoria was born. She is our miracle girl surviving two open heart surgeries. We just found out she will need more to keep on going. Hopefully she will be one who wants to pilot the Lakester some day. 8-)

Offline Larry Forstall

Re: Your First Ride down the salt IN A CAR !!!
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 04:16:39 PM »
In 1977 I made the long tow from the East Coast by myself in a Honda car towing my little open trailer with my Honda bike. This was a USFRA meet and I had a little 500 with a big turbo. The boost gauge would start to flicker at 9000 rpm. After a few blubbering runs I leaned her down and at the two she really started to pull. At the three it was all smoke and no power. A blown head gasket and torched barrel. Done for the meet. That evening I was consoling myself at a State Line bar when a gentleman named Mort Strain introduced himself and asked how my race had gone. Upon hearing my woes he offered me a ride in his roadster. The hour being late, preceded by many liquid screwdrivers I said sure. The next morning with head pounding I arrived at Mort's pit and tried on his firesuit and slipped into the car. Pretty simple I thought; Mort would push me, honk to let know to pop the clutch to bump start the blown hemi and away I go. We all know it seldom goes as planned. We pushed up in line and as my turn neared I suited. Just then Mort motioned me to wait; he then went to his truck and returned with a knife and preceded to cut a piece of flapping cord from the ancient Indy Firestones. This car goes 200 on THOSE !! Sweating profusely as the alcohol left my body I climbed in. The driver basically sits on the floor just peering over the cowl. The tach was recessed so that only 4000-6000 showed. The chute was discharged from a tube by electronics (Mort was in the surplus business). We're ready but the car won't roll with the clutch pedal down. Seems Mort just does this for fun and the car sits between meets. The metallic clutch disc is rusted to the flywheel and pressure plate. OK says Mort I will push you and the rotating tire will break it loose. Between skidding and BA-Thunk ,BA-Thunk the clutch does break loose and I am off. Squeeze into the throttle like Mort told me. Man what a rough ride, every jolt coming through from the solid rear to my rear not far apart. Sweat pours down my face, my glasses hop on my nose. Mile one should be coming up soon. Just then on my LEFT appears an El Camino, lifters clattering at 125 mph with Mort frantically motioning me to turn right as I am headed for the mountains. I see him and rejoin the course between the one and two. Things settle down, the tach needle comes into view and I enjoy the ride just as others have and will. I hit the switch, the chute deploys and I coast off course. Seems like it was yesterday. If any blown hemi roadster driver wants to try my bike it would be my priviledge. Thanks Mort. RIP. (Batteries not included).

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 03:54:32 PM »
I remember my first ride down the salt very well. It was in 1999. They used to wheel pack the course because of different salt conditions back then. Ed and I were there just to spectate and try and learn a few things before building a car. We caught a ride in the back of someone's pickup (used to be able to do that) and at the 3 mile there was a dip in the course that bottomed the suspension of the truck at only 60 mph. We came back the next day to watch the first cars down the course. The very first car was doing about 200 when it hit the dip and spun. I said to ED right then-"WE WILL HAVE SUSPENSION ON OUR CAR". My first drive down the salt was a whole other story, but the first ride was just as memorable.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 09:26:15 PM »
I'm with RT, my first ride down the track in 78 left me in awe of the place. I didn't get to run a race car down until 2000 and a scooter in  2005.  When I arrived in 78, I was stuck in salt heaven, it was the place of legends, over time, most of them I've met and talked to on the salt.  They all have been friendly, a trait of most of the salt greats, even when they were busy, they took the time to talk, show folks what they were up to.  It is a lesson we all should take to heart, this is what separates us from the round-e-round and the drag racers.
In 99, Johnboy spun the car, and we decided we could make the car 33% safer for John and Marty if we stretched it a foot, adding me to the driver pool.  My Rookie pass was a surreal experience.  I was probably sweating profusely, but I didn't notice, Higby checked my belts, told me to have fun and stay under 150....it was hard to keep the car under 150.  I didn't like the chute button position, so like a fool, I changed the control positions, gear shift button and Chute button. I put the guarded chute button closest to my thumb and the gear shift above it.  Multiple times, including a return record run, my gloved thumb bounced against the chute when I tried to shift.  Moved them back, and the next pass, I spun at 220.  Wow.... but I got the button in time and the car had minor damage. 
Every year the feeling renews itself, first just being there is awesome, when I get to drive the car or bike down the salt the exhilleration  drives an adrenaline high that lasts a week. 
Rambled enough, y'all have fun...  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 01:28:22 PM »
OOPS- I meant 1979, however 1999 was also a very good year. FIA record at 340+