Author Topic: 200mph club  (Read 37028 times)

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
Re: 200mph club
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2008, 02:32:51 AM »
I would have been banned, if not for your fathers intervention! please tell him thanks for me!

i certainly will!

i cannot imagine a modern bonneville nationals without one of your amazing cars!

but, 20-years ago, i could not have imagined that the 200 mph club would become just two years later.

bravo for standing up for those who have earned their caps even after you earned yours!

isn't integrity a wonderful thing?
gregory w. gillette
aka: monty wolf (not monte wolfe)

"fear is never boring!"

read all about it: http://montywolf.blogspot.com/

Offline nebulous

« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2008, 02:54:48 AM »
Quote from: John Romero on March 27, 2008, 12:19:46 PM
I like the 2 club minimums. And I'm not a member.
I
When you get your hat I will salute you! I will salute you twice if you broke a minimum, because you had to spend double!

agree with the minimums also not a member yet but i will do my home work and find one that is 200.
Jack Costella   
"Records are set by effort, not by the stroke of a pen!"

Offline nebulous

« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2008, 03:28:55 AM »
isn't integrity a wonderful thing?         
Somebody said minimums give the"club" integrity. I think it comes from PROVIDING recognition for a persons acheivements! Not establishing new critria and then judging thier willingness to spend more money to conform! That would be an ellitists view, I think! The "club" is for the indevidual, not the the other way around! Its not really a "club"!  Club is a convienent name for a dedicated group who provide a selfless service of recognition! It just got too self important, and forgot the indevidual! Kinda like aristocrats.
Jack Costella   

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2008, 09:44:12 AM »
Jack ,DrofRockology and others, while I don't agree with some of the minimums or moving minimums, I have stated my case to the club and am awaiting my answer.  You might try the same route.

As long as you abide by forum rules, you have no fear of moderator intervention, remember you signed an agreement not to insult and "name call" as we are a civilized group,  :|  participation here is a privilege not a right.  I would have removed the offending part of your post also, but I didn't see it first.

As far as I know, no one has ever had their membership in the 2 club revoked for going against the status quo, so don't infer that can happen.  If you don't want to be an active member, you are not forced to be one.  If you want to change the club, try from within, nothing stated in this forum is part of the boards actionable items.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2008, 10:01:53 AM »
DR. Rock,
---would you rather I call it El Dusto---thanks for your post stating your case without the " personals"  some of us are creative spellers and typist ---(some would call it borderline illeraticy)---and may not have know how to spell El Mirage at the momoent--CRS
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2008, 12:24:10 PM »
As far as I know, no one has ever had their membership in the 2 club revoked for going against the status quo, so don't infer that can happen.

mine was threatened when i received, about 9-years ago, a letter from the board or directors.

seems they don't like criticism much.

trust me: go against the 200 mph club's grain and they will pull you d-ring!

now you know.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 12:28:55 PM by DrofRockology »
gregory w. gillette

"fear is never boring!"

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2008, 12:24:20 PM »
Sam Wheelers 'liner is 1100 cc, unlimited is over 3000 cc
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2008, 12:37:10 PM »
DR. Rock,
---would you rather I call it El Dusto---CRS

no.

please, call it elmo.

i'll consider it an acknowledgment of his efforts over the years; a little something to add to his legacy.
gregory w. gillette

"fear is never boring!"

Offline mike mendoza

« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2008, 01:57:02 PM »
DR. Rock,
---would you rather I call it El Dusto---thanks for your post stating your case without the " personals"  some of us are creative spellers and typist ---(some would call it borderline illeraticy)---and may not have know how to spell El Mirage at the momoent--CRS
Don't be lazy nick names are ok for people but El Mirage Dry Lake and Receration Area is already short.  Elmo Gelette is a great man not to be confused with El Mirage.  my .02

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2008, 02:23:07 PM »
Shouldn't the shorthand be ElMi since there is no "O" in Mirage? I have to confess to using "ElMo" in the past with no disrespect meant to person, place or thing.

Nothing to do with "2 Club" but this is an interesting thread.

Tom

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2008, 04:17:03 PM »
Sam Wheelers 'liner is 1100 cc, unlimited is over 3000 cc

I'm aware that Sam Wheelers 'liner is not unlimited.  I was referring to his speed of 355+.  The fastest run ever by a bike.  The unlimited SBF minimum is 15mph above that.  Just struck me a strange that if you are running an unlimited SBF you have to run 15mph faster than the fastest recorded run ever  just to qualify for the 200mph club. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 06:30:41 PM by Nortonist 592 »
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline nebulous

« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2008, 04:32:00 PM »
What is extraordinary? I can't say for sure but I know that 201 MPH in a AA blown fuel rear engine modified roadster isn't. When a new set of classes is created (and they seem to be coming in a constant stream) then just being the first over 200 in it isn't by itself extraordinary. That car should be knocking on 300MPH.
THAT IS A VERY UNPOPULAR OPINION, ASK SOMEONE WHO HAS BEEN DENIED, OR SOMEONE WHO SPENT THEIR LAST BIT OF ENERGY AND LAST DIME TO BREAK A RECORD, THEN HAVING TO EXPEND EVEN MORE TO BREAK A MINIMUM,  DON'T ASK THE FEW WHO CREATED THE MINIMUMS! I KNOW PEOPLE WHO LEFT LSR BECAUSE OF THIS ELLITIST POLICY!   JACK
Jack Costella   

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2008, 06:10:43 PM »
What is extraordinary? I can't say for sure but I know that 201 MPH in a AA blown fuel rear engine modified roadster isn't. When a new set of classes is created (and they seem to be coming in a constant stream) then just being the first over 200 in it isn't by itself extraordinary. That car should be knocking on 300MPH.

THAT IS A VERY UNPOPULAR OPINION,    JACK

It seems that you would be wrong on that Jack, at least by my count on this forum.

I KNOW PEOPLE WHO LEFT LSR BECAUSE OF THIS ELLITIST POLICY!   JACK

And I know some who dug in their heals and kept climbing.........

Jack, as has been pointed out before you're entitled to your opnion but I don't think it's as widely a held view as you are saying. The problem is not the 2 club, it's the proliferation of classes IMO.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 06:13:05 PM by Dynoroom »
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

John Romero

« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2008, 11:44:22 PM »
The problem is not the 2 club, it's the proliferation of classes IMO.

Exactly.

It's kind of like a 30 minute qualifying session. The first car to complete a lap, regardless of speed is listed as the number 1 qualifier (for a few seconds at least). What would everyone think if he immediately pulled into victory lane and demanded his trophy while the rest of the field is out there lapping significantly faster than he just did???

« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 12:59:08 PM by John Romero »

Offline Randall Parker

• Yup, I'm a Baby Boomer!
  • My Boss 429 KK2159. bought it from the Breedlove's
« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2008, 01:54:44 AM »
Hey Scott Guthrie,
I have never been to Maxton, but it has got to be easier to go fast there because of the tire spin issue on the salt in addition to the extra lead that you do not need to pack?  elevation, density altitude, Am I right?
The Faster you go the longer you live...it's just physics.