Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2276923 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #4035 on: July 31, 2023, 09:45:18 PM »
Welcome Matt, stop by and chat... if you run out of things to do  lol8
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Greg Tholen Motorsports

• New folks
    • GT Motorsports
« Reply #4036 on: August 06, 2023, 05:53:19 PM »
Hello All,
Greg Tholen here. I'm From Southern Ohio and plan to build a Honda 450 CM to bring to Bonneville in the near future. I'm hoping to build a truck some time later to run. I figure the motorcycle will be an easier barrier to entry than a truck or car. I look forward to gleaning as much knowledge and information from as many of you as I can. It's a pleasure to be here. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 02:36:03 PM by Greg Tholen Motorsports »
Never drive faster than your angels can fly

Offline 71GSSDemon

« Reply #4037 on: August 08, 2023, 03:58:08 PM »
Hello Everyone,

My name is Eric and have been fascinated with the thoughts of a 200mph time slip.  Originally, it was to be a part of the official 200mph Club, but it seems you need to break a record and run in excess of 200mph - so a time/speed slip will suffice.  I have a few cars, hot rods, 1971 GSS Dodge Demon and the current project of a 1968 Charger which is highly modified giving homage to the stock cars (NASCAR) cars of the day i.e. full cage, home built tube frame, C500 treatment, etc.  I doubt the car would pass tech due to bar placement and such, but I inspire to at least drive it out to the salt next year 2024 and watch the event.  I am here to learn as much as possible.  Thank you.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #4038 on: August 12, 2023, 12:07:48 AM »
Eric attending an event is the best way to get started at Bonneville.  World of Speed has a couple of Clubs that allow street cars...
visit the USFRA site to read up. If you are looking to race in a Land Speed class buy a rulebook and start reading. 
Anything you build must comply with the rules for the class you enter...
Good Luck with your quest...
Stainless

Offline 71GSSDemon

« Reply #4039 on: August 17, 2023, 08:08:46 AM »
Thank you Sir.  I do have a rule book and am trying to learn as much as I can.  I am not sure if this is the car to use, but if I can make some changes I may try.  I will check out the USFRA site.

Offline tallguy

« Reply #4040 on: September 03, 2023, 04:07:58 AM »
Hello, everybody.  I don't post to this forum very often, and I apologize for my "rustiness" regarding how to do it.
I may, in fact, have posted an introductory message years ago, but don't know how to find it.  So anyway, here I am (again?).

I am a retired manufacturing/mechanical engineer, who used to be a weldor and metal fabricator for many years.  I attended Speed Week at Bonneville once -- as a spectator, about ten years ago, and absolutely loved it.  I dig the friendliness of the people, as well as the technical aspects of the sport.

I used to be on the North American Eagle land speed record team, until Jessi Combs crashed the car about 4 years ago,
resulting in her death and total destruction of the car. 

I'm interested in helping someone else with their land speed project if they are located fairly close to where I live (near Oakland, California).  Yes, I'm more interested in the absolute land speed record, compared to a 200 mph car, but I don't
live in Australia or England, and Craig Breedlove (who, by the way, was my #1 hero and role model), who lived fairly close
to me, recently died.

I plan to attend World Finals this year (2023), again as a spectator -- if it doesn't get rained out.  I'll be driving a 2007 Toyota Tacoma truck, the color of "desert sand" (tan), with a missing left front fender.  And I plan to bring an ice chest with canned soda and beer . . . to give to people I see there -- a token of friendship and camaraderie with the land speed racing community.

I can't automatically commit to a huge amount of help, and I'm financially quite poor.  But if you live within about 50 miles
of Oakland, and can use a small bit of occasional help, please let me know, and maybe we can discuss this.  My e-mail address
is boringandrew@yahoo.com.  Good luck to all racers.  And more generally, good luck to all of us.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 11:51:54 PM by tallguy »

Offline Mr. MD11

• New folks
« Reply #4041 on: September 07, 2023, 03:13:02 PM »
Hi,

Mark Pritchett here. I have bene an aircraft mechanic starting when I was 16.

I have always likes LSR , circle track , F1, and Indy, but LSR is what I focus on for my car. I have a 1969 Charger I bought in 83. It did well for high school and a few fast trips on the road ( 155 was the fastest ). But that was a high school kid who survived that part of life.

Car is currently being build to meet the requirements for SCTA-BNI and my goal is 200. Its not high tech. Big block, manual trans, nascar 9 inch rear, big brakes, fuel cell,. Working on the roll cage at this point.

Looking forward to learning more and eventually hitting the salt!
Thanks!

Mark

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #4042 on: September 07, 2023, 11:11:24 PM »
Mark, welcome... start a build diary and post pics.  We can occasionally be a helpful bunch.
Stainless

Offline 71GSSDemon

« Reply #4043 on: September 12, 2023, 12:59:37 PM »
Hi,

Mark Pritchett here. I have bene an aircraft mechanic starting when I was 16.

I have always likes LSR , circle track , F1, and Indy, but LSR is what I focus on for my car. I have a 1969 Charger I bought in 83. It did well for high school and a few fast trips on the road ( 155 was the fastest ). But that was a high school kid who survived that part of life.

Car is currently being build to meet the requirements for SCTA-BNI and my goal is 200. Its not high tech. Big block, manual trans, nascar 9 inch rear, big brakes, fuel cell,. Working on the roll cage at this point.

This is awesome.  Agreed on the comment above to have a build we can follow.  I am very interested in what you are doing and how you are doing it all.

Best regards,
Eric

Looking forward to learning more and eventually hitting the salt!
Thanks!

Mark

Offline tauruck

« Reply #4044 on: September 13, 2023, 03:21:44 PM »
Take Stainless' advice. He's on the money.
I'm in Africa and they've never let me down.

Offline PistonFoundation

• New folks
« Reply #4045 on: October 05, 2023, 12:02:37 AM »
Hello,
I represent The Piston Foundation. We are a 501(c)(3) public charity that helps people pursue careers in collector car restoration. We provided tech-school scholarships to students who are exploring automotive trades and apprenticeships to aspiring technicians who are ready to build a career in auto restoration. You can learn more about Piston at https://pistonfoundation.org/

One way The Piston Foundation raises money is through our Cars For Piston Scholars campaign, which auctions collector cars that are donated to us by our supporters. 100% of the sales go to our scholarship program.

One of our supporters, Harvey Siegel, has donated his land speed racer, a 1999 Mazda Miata MX5, that ran in the GT Production class and set a record of 165.269mph during Speed Week 2011. Harvey's car will be sold in a charity auction on Bring a Trailer at the end of October 2023. I will post details and photos of the car in the for sale section.

Personally, I'm a vintage rally racer and completely new to the world of land speed racing. But, speed is speed and we all like it. So, we have that in common.

Before posting here I reached out to Ron Main at SCTA and Louise Noeth, who both recommended landracing.com as the best place to share this auction.

Thanks,
Jeff Mason
President
The Piston Foundation

Offline delcrossv

« Reply #4046 on: November 02, 2023, 12:22:46 AM »
Hi,

I'm Frank Kowalik. I used to do some Harley building in the 80's and 90's, and now am working with my oldest son on a 100 CI/ 1650cc class  naturally asperated Sportster to hopefully run on the salt in 2025 (we're just getting started with the build). We're going to run ethanol (e98) . Some of the ETOH threads are what brought me to the forum.

Been through Wendover a number of times as we always stopped at the convenience store just before the flats, but never made it out to Speed Week.

We're total noobs to salt flat racing so I'll be sure to be asking a lot of questions. :)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #4047 on: November 03, 2023, 10:25:08 AM »
Frank, welcome to LSR
Start a build diary for the scooter... Sometimes we can be helpful  :laugh:
 :cheers:
Stainless

Offline roycross

• New folks
« Reply #4048 on: December 10, 2023, 08:15:14 PM »
Roy Cross here, in Montreal, Canada. I?m building a bike for the salt in 2025. I thought about this 15 years ago but never followed through.

I?m not in it for the speed, as much as I am for the build, camaraderie, and the call to adventure.

Currently:
I do not have a bike,
I do not have a shop,
I do not have any tools,
My mechanical knowledge is, at best, limited,

I thought I might try to find a SR500 or give a go at a Honda CB350 twin. I have friends who wrench their bikes so I am not completely isolated.

I?ve been studying the scta-bni site and researching other enthusiast?s stories. I?ll keep a diary to share my progress. I look forward to learning from the members on this site. Any and all advice is appreciated.

I wanted to make my declaration in some public way, to put the fire to my feet. (insert sound of match being struck!)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 08:18:24 PM by roycross »

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #4049 on: December 10, 2023, 08:24:28 PM »
Roy;

#1... get a rule book.
#1 ...read it thoroughly.

Good luck.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ