Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2277113 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #4005 on: November 17, 2022, 06:40:51 PM »
Dean, I would suggest reading through a few of the diaries just to get the drift of what you might include.   cromag

No one ever talks about the "good" money they throw at their junk...   :dhorse:  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline StreetProz

• New folks
« Reply #4006 on: November 17, 2022, 08:13:54 PM »
Good point I will make that my business to review other build processes and respond accordingly.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4007 on: November 17, 2022, 09:41:52 PM »
Hints:  Slip a $20 to the guy at all car parts stores you buy from and ask 'em to give you TWO invoices for everything.  One is real, one is the one for your dresser for your wife to find.  She'll see that the new set of pistons, for instance, was $11.50 each or that the cost of nitro has skyrocketed to $1.35/gallon. 

It might work...  Or you could take an easy (?) way out and have her begin driving the car - or get her one of her own.  This one worked for me - Nancy has managed to set a few records on bikes and never was too cranky at the bills since some were for her.

But that can be kinda spendy, too.  Maybe you should wimp out and give her some credit cards and a trip to Paris on the Concorde.  It would probably be the wisest move for you.

Welcome to the fun here.  Have you figured out how to change your location?  8-)
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline StreetProz

• New folks
« Reply #4008 on: November 17, 2022, 11:17:21 PM »
The wimp out move really doesn't sound that emasculating. Plus, I'm familiar and comfortable taking one for team me! I took our 51 Nash Rambler off the road this spring for a spruce up that mission creeped into a unibody off restoration and some crazy ugly powder coating invoices for all the suspension components and stainless restoration.

That said she really wants a 30s hi boy coupe. Unfortunately for the moment that ship has sailed with the purchase of the liner.

I was sure I corrected the location info. Humm I'll try again.

Offline P-38 Neil

• New folks
« Reply #4009 on: December 06, 2022, 11:43:20 PM »
Hi, my name is Neil Schlabaugh. Been a lurker for a while and figured I should introduce myself. My brother and I have a Porsche restoration shop close to Iowa city, Iowa. In ?96 and ?97 we partnered with a good friend and Porsche mechanic Tom Burch with a 914 in the 1 LT class at Speedweek. Didn?t set a record but had a blast and we ended up running the car at Maxton with a 2 LT where we did set some records in multiple classes ( although they were open classes) 139 and change was the fastest I had it and became friends with the late John Beckett R.I.P and Joe Timney. To me the P-38 belly tank is the epitome of land speed racing back in day. I mentioned to John that I?d like to find a P-38 and he said he might know were there was one half. Later we talked and he said he bought it and if I wanted to buy I had 1st dibs. I did and later bought another half from Randy Ravon who at the time was running a ?32 roadster at Bonneville. Plans have always been to run C class with a early Chrysler hemi. I have lots of stuff for the project but as you may suspect the tank halves are still screwed to the shop wall : )  Thanks for listening to my long winded story

Offline StreetProz

• New folks
« Reply #4010 on: December 07, 2022, 02:42:56 PM »
This sounds like a great start to me. Good luck with you project.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #4011 on: December 07, 2022, 07:49:48 PM »
Neil, take it off the wall... start a build diary.  Start laying out where everything goes, and decide if you are going to stretch it or not.  Don't forget to leave enough room for you  :?
Stainless

Offline P-38 Neil

• New folks
« Reply #4012 on: December 07, 2022, 11:05:23 PM »
Thanks guys, lots to figure out for sure. 10 lbs of stuff in a 5 lbs bag right.   : )

Offline OldCarNerd

• New folks
« Reply #4013 on: January 03, 2023, 09:55:19 PM »
Hey Guys,

Newbie here from N. Carolina that has been to about everything but land speed racing.  I'm looking for advice and ideas for building a "tanker", nothing crazy or too serious but more to have fun with.  Doubtful it will ever see the salt but maybe the ECTA flathead class. I figure my first time slip has to be faster than no time slip.  So, I'm here for ideas, good, bad or ugly, some used parts and maybe a little advice. I'm early in the layout stage of it now. Thanks for having me here!!

Queston #1. If you have a tank that is shaped like a wing (bottom slopes upward in the rear) would you run it upside down? I'm thinking that if I run it upside down that wouldn't cause lift in the rear.  Almost all I have seen are symmetrical top to bottom or stretched and it's hard to tell.   

Offline bearingburner

Tank
« Reply #4014 on: January 03, 2023, 10:15:41 PM »
 Tank for sale on HAMB antique for sale section I think

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4015 on: January 04, 2023, 10:09:01 AM »
Hey Guys,

Newbie here from N. Carolina
Queston #1. If you have a tank that is shaped like a wing (bottom slopes upward in the rear) would you run it upside down? I'm thinking that if I run it upside down that wouldn't cause lift in the rear.  Almost all I have seen are symmetrical top to bottom or stretched and it's hard to tell. 

Re-Question 1. I believe you have it backwards...
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #4016 on: January 04, 2023, 11:36:09 AM »
Old Nerd....  have you been to Bonneville to look at tanks in person?  That would be a good first step.
Do you have rules for the venue you want to race?  That would be the next step.
There are no patterns for lakesters... very few using the same tank look alike.  If you like the way it looks upside down, build it... but be aware most were built to be aero neutral on the plane, and when released, it was desirable to fall away... not climb up into the plane. 
If you post pics there are plenty of folks here with opinions of what you should do...  :laugh: :laugh:
Have fun with your project, start a build diary  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline tortoise

« Reply #4017 on: January 04, 2023, 07:55:56 PM »
For the pavement mile, with a lower power engine, light weight and gearing for good acceleration are more important than aero.

Offline OldCarNerd

• New folks
« Reply #4018 on: January 06, 2023, 11:56:44 PM »
Ok here?s a picture of it. I appreciate everyone?s input and support.  keeping it as light as possible.  As well as still reading the rule book.   Probably going to try to stay in one of the vintage engine category?s. 

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #4019 on: January 07, 2023, 10:44:09 AM »
Well since I'm a guy with a lakester that swoops up in the back I have to say that looks OK to me.... I thought I had a pic of that tank used before, but looked through my pics and couldn't find it.  Ok, I didn't spend more that 20 minutes. 
So get a build started... If you are runway racing be sure to have brakes on all corners.  :cheers:
Stainless