Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2276988 times)

Offline Jalopy Greg

• New folks
  • Jalopy Greg
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3975 on: December 16, 2021, 07:09:55 PM »
Hello everyone,
     Greg (52) here from Camarillo, California.  About 13 years ago I drove my 34 Ford out to El Mirage to watch the races and got the bug.  I got home and tore my car apart to build it right and safe to race.  Life happened, other cars happened, marriage and 3 young kids happened, and now I am back on track and building the car.  My friend and I chopped it 5 1/2 inches and put a full cage in it.  It currently has a SBC with a 671 Blower on it, followed by a T56 trans and a 9" rear end.  It's an all steel car and I believe I will be racing in Comp Coupe because of the chop and engine choice. I plan to race for fun not to be competitive, but time will tell.
     I have been trolling the forum for a while getting info for the build, and yes, I have read the rule book dozens of times.  I have found Land Speed Racers to be a very informative bunch and am appreciative of all the info I can get.  I attended Bonneville for the first time in 2020 and can't wait to get my car finished.   

Offline John Lawrence

• New folks
« Reply #3976 on: December 28, 2021, 07:47:45 PM »
Hello everyone,

My name is John (29 y/o), and I am mechanical engineer from South Central Indiana. I?m a amateur motorcycle builder, and I am currently building a blown 1968 Honda CL175 to compete at Blytheville and eventually Bonneville. I am very new to land speed racing but I am eager to learn and get this bike going. I am a few months into the build, but I plan on starting a build diary here to document it and get some much needed advice.

Thanks for having me!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3977 on: December 28, 2021, 09:59:08 PM »
Welcome John... interesting choice... looking forward to seeing what you are up to
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline roblebel

• New folks
« Reply #3978 on: January 02, 2022, 07:22:50 AM »
Hey everyone, I'm Rob

I've been road racing for about 15 years and decided this year that 2022 was the year of Bonneville for me. I'll be running a J/GL lakester this year and can't wait to be a part of this historic event. I look forward to being a part of this pirate hoard and getting to know every one of you!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #3979 on: January 02, 2022, 11:09:37 AM »
Welcome Rob... tell us more  8-) Is your lakester a recent purchase?  What motor are you using... which meet are you shooting for.... all of them?  Where are you located...
We can be a curious hoard  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline XF/FMR

• New folks
« Reply #3980 on: February 01, 2022, 07:03:08 PM »
Name: Dan

More like a re-introduction! I was on here a few years back, but life stalled the project out. I have completed some other projects and am back on the roadster. 172" wheelbase, solid front susp and leaf springs on the rear. 9" ford and an 8ba on alcohol with either a 3 speed auto or a T5. I'm in the Tulsa area so I'll probably run a ECTA event first. Anyone in the Tulsa feel free to reach out and come over and make sure I'm not completely screwing this thing up! I'll provide the beer!

Offline lukedrywalker

• New folks
« Reply #3981 on: February 08, 2022, 04:37:59 PM »
Hello folks.
Totally new to this type of racing.  I'm considering building a XF/VGCC car after I'm done building my 39 coup. 

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #3982 on: February 08, 2022, 09:16:40 PM »
Welcome guys.... have fun, be safe, then go fast  :cheers:

Oh, I forgot... get rulebooks and read them a lot
Stainless

Offline Smalleyster

• New folks
  • Everything in moderation, including moderation. 8D
« Reply #3983 on: February 11, 2022, 10:20:20 AM »
Hi Y'all!
My name is David (Dave) Smalley. I'm 65, from The Bahamas, currently live in Homestead Florida (Just below Miami), and was introduced to Land Speed Racing at about 8 years old by my neighbor. You can believe that I completely wore out the pages of the magazines that he gave me about The Green Monster and The Blue Flame.
I know a bit about motorcycles and telescopes as I've built and repaired a few. Currently ride a 97 Honda Valkyrie, am refurbing a 76 Yamaha XS 360, and when it is done and sold will concentrate my efforts on my 75 Yamaha RD 350 basket case. I live about 5 miles from the Homestead Speedway and think I will build the RD 350 as a track bike, with the silly hope that I might somehow be able to get it out on the salt someday.
I've never been to a land speed event. I rode a FXRT around the four corners in 1996 (13,800 miles solo in 54 days) and when I was running south from Renton (Hendrix's Grave) considered popping over to Wendover for a quick look, but a cute lady in San Diego's invitation distracted me.
Now that I'm closer to the end than the beginning one of my main bucket list items is to go spectate at Bonneville at least once. Last year's 5,000 mile month long run around the east on my Valkyrie put me into a deep enough hole that I probably won't make it out there until 2023, but if there's any way I can pull it off I hope to join y'all this year.
I bought the three rulebook package and have read through most of last year. I later stumbled on this resource that is almost identical wording;

https://americanmotorcyclist.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/AMA_2022-RULEBOOK_PRINT.pdf

I cracked up when I realized that if I ever do get the ability to compete that my personal safety gear upgrade will probably cost more than my RD 350. A friend of a friend in Virginia gave it to me, but it cost $600 to get it home.

Thank you all for all you do. Go fast, don't die.
DAVe
I yam what I yam.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #3984 on: February 11, 2022, 10:35:43 AM »
Welcome to the fray... nothing more expensive than a free bike that you are going to race  :laugh:
The rules are similar, but enough difference that you better pay attention to the rules of the  organization putting on the race. 
Hope to see you at the salt  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #3985 on: February 11, 2022, 10:18:49 PM »
You should give Loring Me a thought. Not Bonneville but they run 1.5 miles in northern Me on pavement.

Offline Smalleyster

• New folks
  • Everything in moderation, including moderation. 8D
« Reply #3986 on: February 12, 2022, 10:00:27 AM »
Welcome to the fray... nothing more expensive than a free bike that you are going to race  :laugh:
The rules are similar, but enough difference that you better pay attention to the rules of the  organization putting on the race. 
Hope to see you at the salt  :cheers:

LOL big time on actual cost of "free" stuff. 8^)

I so hear you on details demanded by different sanctioning bodies. Which is why I want to just spectate for the first year or so. Hoping to hit at least two or three events that first run. Perfect situation would be Bonneville for both SCTA and BMI with El Mirage in between.

In a "perfect world" I'd love to pit crew for an existing team before trying to build my own.

Bearingburner, thanks for the tip about Maine. Was hoping to find something in Florida or thereabouts for eventual straight line practice runs.

DAVe
I yam what I yam.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #3987 on: February 12, 2022, 01:00:17 PM »
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline fissionspeed

« Reply #3988 on: February 22, 2022, 01:41:27 PM »
I realized I forgot to make an intro post!

I'm a mechanical engineer from Texas but currently living in SoCal. I learned almost everything I know about cars from youtube and have been looking to get into racing since I was a kid. Salt fever got me real good on my third or fourth rewatch of the Roadkill Bonneville episode, then I went out to El Mirage and got hooked on that too. I'm currently building an S10 for both Bonneville and El Mirage, and hope to be out on the dirt/salt within a year or two. I have no (sanctioned) racing experience so this will be a big learning experience in many ways.

I'll be posting big updates on the build diary here and little updates on my instagram @fission.speed. Also I'm working on a side gig designing custom 3D printed parts, so y'all let me know if you need something done!

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3989 on: February 22, 2022, 01:44:46 PM »
Fission;

Welcome to the LSR forum! As everyone will or has already told you- get a rule book and read it over & over. Good luck with your project. See you on the salt.--

Neil
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ