Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2276788 times)

Offline The Month of June

• New folks
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3960 on: September 24, 2021, 02:52:34 PM »
Thanks Stainless. Won't be able to get out to Utah for the World Finals but I've made Speedweek my yearly vacation the past 3 years. I might get down to Texas at the end of October for the Texas Mile to check that out as well. With or without a vehicle, I plan on being back out at Speedweek next year. Hopefully with a car. Maybe with just some binoculars.   Carsten.

Offline Magneto

• New folks
« Reply #3961 on: October 29, 2021, 06:48:13 AM »
Magneto from Stafford Virginia. Checked out the Motorcycle Speed Trials in 21, as a spectator. Caught the bug and now working on a bike to run in 22.

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #3962 on: October 29, 2021, 07:12:00 PM »
Loring Me. is closer than Bonnevile . They time you at 1 mile and 1.5 miles. It's asphalt so no worries about poor
surface conditions.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3963 on: October 30, 2021, 12:18:44 PM »
. . . but it's not Bonneville.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline JayD

• New folks
« Reply #3964 on: November 10, 2021, 01:56:37 AM »
Hey hey!

My name is Matt, my first time land speed racing was World Finals 2021, came away with a record and a new addiction. Just now joining the forum because there's so much I don't know, and I want to take a stab at 200 next year.

My first question is going to be about finding "race use only" motorcycle tires in older style sizes. All I can really find is modern slicks. Not looking to start a full-on discussion here but I'd appreciate a poke in the right direction if anyone has any sources.

Thanks! Looking forward to getting to know y'all!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 02:07:27 AM by JayD »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3965 on: November 10, 2021, 10:07:40 AM »
Welcome Matt, how about a little more info... and what are older style tires...
What record are you challenging at over 200?  What record did you break?
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline JayD

• New folks
« Reply #3966 on: November 11, 2021, 12:43:15 AM »
Hi! For the tire sizes I'm hoping there's someone out there making race tires in sizes like 4.00-18 / 3.25-19, but from asking around in the meantime it seems like tire availability is going to dictate wheel size, not the other way around.

The record I have my eye on is APS-Omega, or if I don't get a faring together in time, A-Omega. I came away from the salt this time with M-Omega and MPS-Omega, but I was limited by, you guessed it, tire rating.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3967 on: November 11, 2021, 10:54:08 AM »
Matt, you might do some searches here but I think you are going to be stuck with 17 inch rims... but that is not a bad thing.  You might want to look at goodyear top fuel front runners... I think Sparky determined those were made for motorcycle rims when he was experimenting with them on his lakester. 
Start a build thread...
I remember your bike, we were pitted about 5 pits away from the Vesco's... little red, white and blue  lakester.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline JayD

• New folks
« Reply #3968 on: November 16, 2021, 01:21:00 AM »
Ah, good tip, thank you! I'll get a build thread started as soon as I get some time to sit down and make one. Much appreciated! I think I remember seeing the lakester out there!

Offline BoardTrackRacerBuilder

• New folks
« Reply #3969 on: November 23, 2021, 06:03:26 AM »
Hi all UK based (Swindon) amateur 'vintage style' bike builder tuner

I have built a bike based on the old board track era styling with 1940's J.A.P 600cc sidevalve engine bored out to 733cc and a ton of other modifications on a 4 speed Burman with NEB race clutch
Currently have it stripped down after the last beach event to makes some frame upgrades and fit a supercharger

Not sure how it would fit into any land speed category but really my aim is to make it faster by doing all the work myself and running it at any events that will have me.

Interested in hearing from other single cylinder flathead racer/tuners and info on the supercharging bit Im doing now and info on any potential events along with considerations for scrutineering etc

Cheers

Sam

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3970 on: November 23, 2021, 10:11:54 AM »
Welcome to this group, Sam.

BTW, wasn't the bike that T E Lawrence was fueling up in the first scene of "Lawrence of Arabia" a JAP?
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline BoardTrackRacerBuilder

• New folks
« Reply #3971 on: November 23, 2021, 10:34:15 AM »
Welcome to this group, Sam.

BTW, wasn't the bike that T E Lawrence was fueling up in the first scene of "Lawrence of Arabia" a JAP?

Thanks Manta  I wish it was the same bike I believe that was a well sought after Brough superior which was a land speed  record holder of its time 1924
This is the same make of engine J.A.P but a single flathead version rather than the OHV twin used in the Brough

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3972 on: November 23, 2021, 11:10:18 AM »
Thanks- I know next to nothing about motorcycles but the "JAP" stuck in my mind for some reason.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Escue

• New folks
« Reply #3973 on: December 10, 2021, 07:36:23 PM »
Hi to everyone. My only experience with Land Speed Racing has been with ECTA when they were in Wilmington. I plan to learn everything I can from all of the experience and expertise on this forum. I’ll be looking for information to help build a production gas coupe.

Offline TheBaron

« Reply #3974 on: December 11, 2021, 10:20:32 AM »
Hello and Welcome "Board Track Racer"

Plenty of help available here among land speed racers....

Supercharging questions I can help with and I suggest you order a SCTA rulebook as soon as you can as it will be invaluable in setting up your bike.

Check out my racing partner's blog as there are ton of pictures and info on how we setup our race bike:

red-baron-racing.com

Cheers,

Robert in California