Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2276680 times)

Offline NeilG

• New folks
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3945 on: May 27, 2021, 10:06:56 PM »
It may be, there's a pic of it there online but it's old. would really like to find who actually owns it. Will try calling them again, thanks!
I didn't check last year, but I sure think I've seen it at the Nugget (nee Stateline), like when we go to the banquet hall for the 200 MPH Club dinner, right?  Isn't it there any longer??

Offline ic101

• New folks
« Reply #3946 on: June 11, 2021, 06:50:03 PM »
Hi All,

Ian here. I'm a California person who started going out to El Mirage on SCTA race weekends when I was a kid (23ish years ago?). I'm an electrical engineer with motorcycles in the blood. I started buying rule books around 2015, and have finally decided to build a small displacement (budget) motorcycle. Between the rule book and the rookie manual there is a lot to consider, and I'm glad this forum is around to help me towards making that rookie pass. I won't be able to make it this weekend, but for those of you who are out there, have fun and set some records!

-Ian

Offline Burkdoll3111

• New folks
« Reply #3947 on: July 23, 2021, 05:17:37 PM »
Hello Bo Burkdoll here. Had a old account. Got ride of that one and started a new one.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #3948 on: July 23, 2021, 07:39:05 PM »
Hello Bo Burkdoll here. Had a old account. Got ride of that one and started a new one.

Bo, please don't tell me that a T-Shirt was the reason for..... :cheers:
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Burkdoll3111

• New folks
« Reply #3949 on: July 23, 2021, 07:51:13 PM »
Nope not at all

Offline Dutch Speedfreak

• New folks
« Reply #3950 on: July 28, 2021, 07:24:03 AM »
Hi fellow speed freaks, greetings from the far far away Netherlands.

I have always been een great fan af anything with wheels and an engine going fast.
So, naturally, Bonneville Speedweek has been on my bucketlist for a while.

In 2019 a fellow race crazy nut and I decided it was high time to visit the salt.
Plans were made for August 2020, tickets were booked and then...... Covid-19 struck the planet  :?
Resulting in a ban to travel to the USA....
But we do not give up easy, new plans and bookings for 2021 were made.
Covid-19 would be a thing of the past by then, right...?

Bouncing around with excitement, ready to go and taste the salt and then..... nothing.
The ban to travel to the USA remains in summer 2021.
Mega bummer. Sad. Mad. Disappointed. In need of a drink. And then some more.
Cancellation time once again. Who could ever have thought of that...?

Okay, yes, we don't give up so easy, right?
When flights are available we reschedule the whole plan yet again.
So, when will Speedweek be in 2022 ???
My buddy Herman and I are ready!

Good luck and lot's of fun for those who can attend this year  :cheers:

Rutger Kwant

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3951 on: July 28, 2021, 10:57:40 AM »
Perseverance is always the key to success...  :cheers:
Welcome to the fray 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline David_in_Golden

• New folks
« Reply #3952 on: August 10, 2021, 02:28:02 PM »
Hello all,

First time (Rookie) Motorcycle racer here, looking for some quick advice. In the Run what you brung class (and expect to be under 150mph) do I have to have a Steering Damper? What do they mean or how involved is the required Chain Guard?

The bike I am trying to get ready is a 1995 Husky WXC-610 that is mostly stock.

Thanks,
David_in_Golden

Offline sabat

« Reply #3953 on: August 10, 2021, 02:56:15 PM »
Welcome, I'm guessing you are planning on BMST, the bike only meet. For tech questions, email: tech@bonnevillemst.com

I would get a damper no matter what tech requires, and a metal chain guard is usually an easy fab job.

Cheers,
Dean

Offline David_in_Golden

• New folks
« Reply #3954 on: August 11, 2021, 01:21:50 PM »
Thanks for the reply, I have ordered a steering damper, and should be able to get it installed OK. On the Chain Guard, does the chain have to be completely enclosed or can I just do the upper strand above the swingarm?

Offline sabat

« Reply #3955 on: August 11, 2021, 01:48:05 PM »
Yep, just the upper half, just make sure it extends all the way to the rearmost edge of the back sprocket. SCTA requires 3/32nds inch for steel, 1/8th for aluminum. Width must be 1.5 times as wide as chain. BMST may be different, I've never run there.

Offline Trytogofast68

• New folks
« Reply #3956 on: September 02, 2021, 11:30:09 AM »
Hi, thank you for accepting me to the forum.

I'm Keith Wynegar, I've always liked anything with wheels, I've always wanted to go out to the Salt and in 2020 I did Speedweek. I'm collecting parts to build an LS powered 95 Firebird probably for an altered class. I was in the Model T hot rods for a little while and then Model A, I've started in on trucks and car haulers. My boy and I both have Henry J's.

I live in Elmwood Nebraska, between Lincoln and Omaha. I have a rule book and I read it and read it and read it and sometimes I just can't figure out what the rule really means. That's why I usually ask questions. Sometimes I think I read too much into a particular rule. I'm building a car to run on the Salt because it's a mesmerizing place to be and to say I ran the Salt because it's such a nostalgic place.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #3957 on: September 03, 2021, 12:24:29 AM »
Keith, welcome... the rules are fairly straightforward... try not to make them up as you go  :laugh:
Ask questions... do searches... we may send you to the class tech chair, but most things have been tried by someone around here. 
Stainless

Offline The Month of June

• New folks
« Reply #3958 on: September 23, 2021, 06:35:39 PM »
Hey all. I'm finally jumping into the forum. My name is Carsten and I'm from New Orleans. I've been building Hot Rods, race cars(for other people) for a long time. Made my first trip to the salt in 2019. Walked off of there asking myself how was I going to do this. Bought the rule book. Came back in 2020 and this year. Long story short, I'm eyeballing the mid-mini truck class with a 2004 Dakota extended cab. Already gutted the interior and started fitting the roll cage and seat. I'll have a squillion questions before this journey is done and just glad there is a place where I can come and bug people for advise. Just for the record, I'm a computer idiot but I've got a friend who can help me with pictures and all the other stuff I'm going to mess up on this fancy typing machine. Looking forward to learning from all of you here and hopefully I'll see y'all on the salt in a year or two.  Carsten. :cheers:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #3959 on: September 23, 2021, 10:17:41 PM »
Carsten, welcome to the fray... don't quit going to the races just because you're building... ideas from other projects are always available.  There's a race starting next Tuesday... Stop and say hi if you are there.
Stainless