Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2276900 times)

Offline Dave Russell 640XO/PP

• New folks
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3900 on: January 17, 2021, 07:28:28 PM »
"Choose File" doesn't do anything when I click on it. I assume it should take me to a file directory? I'm on a Mac.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3901 on: January 18, 2021, 11:16:51 AM »
On my old steam-powered Mac, I put the resized (must) on the desktop, then in the reply to choose, choose the desktop and then the photo wanted.

But, you know, getting instructions from me might not be the best answer.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Dave Russell 640XO/PP

• New folks
« Reply #3902 on: January 19, 2021, 02:25:47 PM »
Dragging and dropping worked. Here's the engine in the 640 XO/PP Virginia HAMB Special.

Offline bambrose

• New folks
« Reply #3903 on: January 21, 2021, 04:44:08 PM »
Howdy fellow gearheads!

I figured I would introduce myself as I randomly browse and research over the coming months and years.

My name is Brady, I live in St. George UT, and I'm in the planning stages of a roadster build.   If any fellow racers are in Southern Utah I would be happy to lend and hand and hopefully learn a few things.

I've done the initial homework:  Read the Rulebook, Read the Rookie Orientation, and I'm scheduled to be at Speedweek this August to get my feet wet. 

My current goal is simple:  150+ MPH in a car I built myself using mostly vintage equipment.   I plan to stick with a 26/27 roadster body, but beyond that the ideas are unlimited.  Because records are somewhat more attainable (it would appear) I've considered the RMR classes, but the long wheelbase and CG/CP concerns are a whole new research topic I need to dig into more thoroughly.   

I'm torn currently on sticking with the XO motor class vs just going straight to a D class engine, as I have in my possession a nice 292 Y-block that would really make a great runner and platform (I know Tim McMaster has been out on the salt for many years and really admire his work with the Y-block platform).  The D/BGRMR class with a 471 blower would be a hoot!
I am an engineer by trade, physics graduate from Utah State, and I love attention to detail and the nitty gritty elements of a build.

I'm sure I'll have many questions along the way.  When I finalize some plans I'll start a build diary. 
Hope to see you guys on the salt! 

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3904 on: January 21, 2021, 05:32:28 PM »
It looks like you've picked the right class.  (I'm only looking at the 2020 Rule Book.)  The D/BGRMR record is almost 60 MPH less than the D/Street Roadster record.

Another observation if you don't mind.  You realize there're no "vintage"-type rules that somehow get Y-Blocks to be competitive with other engine makes that seem to be dominant in the D Class -- and their parts are more easily obtained and less costly.  I might know of a bargain for a "complete" on of those that only needs freshening.

And, one more, the E/BGRMR record appears "Open" -- that might be a path, too. 

Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #3905 on: January 21, 2021, 06:54:39 PM »
Welcome banbrose! Using a 26/7 pretty much resigns you to street or modified roadsters with 2 placements of the engine.
A typical XO engine in street might have wee bit of a problem with only a 3 inch hood extension but one ran successfully in XXO for years and spun with most of its owner/drivers. Modifieds would be fun as I would have always wanted to run one. 
Y-Blocks are great to look at as I get compliments on my 56 Vic all the time especially with the dual quads, but as for performance in class; the only one who had that covered was my dear friend Karol Miller in the late 50s.
However good luck and above all have fun..
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline bambrose

• New folks
« Reply #3906 on: January 22, 2021, 12:22:46 PM »
It looks like you've picked the right class.  (I'm only looking at the 2020 Rule Book.)  The D/BGRMR record is almost 60 MPH less than the D/Street Roadster record.

Another observation if you don't mind.  You realize there're no "vintage"-type rules that somehow get Y-Blocks to be competitive with other engine makes that seem to be dominant in the D Class -- and their parts are more easily obtained and less costly.  I might know of a bargain for a "complete" on of those that only needs freshening.

And, one more, the E/BGRMR record appears "Open" -- that might be a path, too. 

I appreciate your feedback, and I agree the Y-block certainly is a more expensive format to reach for a goal than say the SBC or other supercharger friendly motors.   I was curious what motors have shown success in the XO class in your experience?  I know the GMC 302 inline is common, and ironically there is a 55 1st series GMC pickup in my family that has a stovebolt so I'm familiar with these motors.  I would love to stick to a vintage motor for the joy of learning something new and unfamiliar.   I was wondering if there are other highly successful mills for the XO class I could consider.

One other question, I'm sure I'll get refered to the SCTA rep for this, but I was curious if in the XX blown classes if they require vintage blower technology?  I believe turbos are not allowed, but can you use modern superchargers or are you relegated to McCulloch and older GMC/Diesel blowers?

Welcome banbrose! Using a 26/7 pretty much resigns you to street or modified roadsters with 2 placements of the engine.
A typical XO engine in street might have wee bit of a problem with only a 3 inch hood extension but one ran successfully in XXO for years and spun with most of its owner/drivers. Modifieds would be fun as I would have always wanted to run one. 
Y-Blocks are great to look at as I get compliments on my 56 Vic all the time especially with the dual quads, but as for performance in class; the only one who had that covered was my dear friend Karol Miller in the late 50s.
However good luck and above all have fun..
   Having fun and challenging myself is what this is all about.  I appreciate the feedback!   I know enough in my "old age" of 35 to realize that there is no reason to reinvent the wheel, and learning from those who came before me is my fastest path to success! 

Offline RichFox

« Reply #3907 on: January 23, 2021, 11:15:48 AM »
Turbos are allowed, or at least were, in non vintage bodies in XO/Blown. Buick eight and Hudson six cylinder engines have run well in class. But the GMC is most often seen.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #3908 on: January 23, 2021, 02:51:17 PM »
The Dozier Hargety Chrysler 8 is a record holder. A few Cad flathead V8, also blown, did good. A few Ford six cylinder cars run. Both flathead and  OHV. So far no records. Bruce Crower had a very fast Nash straight eight. It is really up to you and how creative you are

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #3909 on: January 23, 2021, 05:40:21 PM »
ProChargers are allowed along with any other belt driven supercharger just no turbos with a vintage car class.
AIR should have never allow any Chevrolet V8 or Chrysler Hemi?s then the class would been as really was desired. There is a MEL now competing I believe.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline bambrose

• New folks
« Reply #3910 on: January 26, 2021, 12:00:10 PM »
The Dozier Hargety Chrysler 8 is a record holder. A few Cad flathead V8, also blown, did good. A few Ford six cylinder cars run. Both flathead and  OHV. So far no records. Bruce Crower had a very fast Nash straight eight. It is really up to you and how creative you are
ProChargers are allowed along with any other belt driven supercharger just no turbos with a vintage car class.
AIR should have never allow any Chevrolet V8 or Chrysler Hemi?s then the class would been as really was desired. There is a MEL now competing I believe.

Appreciate the clarification and pointers on successful XO motors.  The exhaust manifold in the Cad flathead w/ a blower would be a tricky one! 

It isn't clear to me what defines the Vintage body class.  Seems like "Vintage" is anything in section 5.B, page 72 in the 2020 rules.  5.B would include the roadsters, modified roadsters, RMR, vintage coupes, etc.    The no turbo rule is on page 72, and it says "No turbos with vintage bodies + vintage motors".   It would seem that you cannot run a turbo with an XF, XO, XXF, XXO, V4, V4F essentially.   In a RMR w/ an XO motor, only a blower would be allowed, but in a lakester you would technically be allowed to run an XO with a turbo. Am I interpreting this correctly?

Turbos are allowed, or at least were, in non vintage bodies in XO/Blown. Buick eight and Hudson six cylinder engines have run well in class. But the GMC is most often seen.

Thank you for the pointers, I think I'm understanding this more now.  I need to look into the Hudson motors, haven't researched these ones yet!

Offline Takatsukasa_Fumio

• New folks
  • 50cc streamliner design under consideration
« Reply #3911 on: February 06, 2021, 04:25:06 AM »
Hello All.

I participated in this forum today. Thank you all for your cooperation.
I am currently recovering from an illness, and as part of my rehabilitation I am studying the design of a 50cc streamliner.
I am particularly interested in BuddFab's records as I have developed supercharged 2st engines in the past.
Former aviation technician, former automotive engine technician (on medical leave).

Offline Grumpy32

• New folks
« Reply #3912 on: February 12, 2021, 05:40:46 PM »
Hi guys,
I've been a member here for a while now and I have read with great interest and enjoyment all the posts.
So, I'm from a little town in South Australia, I have had hot rods since leaving school (1978) drag raced for a while (see my avatar) been self employed and even spent the last 12 years of my working life in the RAAF as an airframe/engine tech on a great old bird AP-3C Orion.. (we have to do it all here).
I have wanted to get to our speed week since it started 30 years ago, as life has it now is my time. I have almost completed my roadster. It is aimed at C/Fuel but will be able to slide into Gas, AIR or modified... but gotta get out there first. (I'm not sure if the pic uploaded.) 🇦🇺[20210213_084307.jpg]

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #3913 on: February 12, 2021, 06:35:48 PM »
The picture and the car both look good. Have fun with it. Stay safe and go fast!!!

Pete

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3914 on: February 12, 2021, 10:27:42 PM »
Nice car.... uh roadster.... but the big question is, it that a Coopers Stout? tough to tell with the size pic allowed in our forum. 
hope to see you on your or my salt one day....  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O