Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2276939 times)

Offline Hot Rod Lincoln

• F/GC Record Holder 164.845
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #2130 on: February 26, 2012, 10:16:30 PM »

Hi,

My name is Jon. My first trip to the salt was last year with my dad ( Joel ) and my brother ( James). It was our year to try to figure out a few things. We came away with more questions than answers. Our '88 Mustang GT ( C/GC) ended up running 179.79 with my brother driving. Dad drove it 160+, I just got to run it for my license on Sunday and the water pump broke and the engine over heated, but  I got my "D" license out of the way. I had to fly home on Monday so I didn't get a chance to run again. 

The Mustang was a running car Dad bought to get something off his "Bucket List", this year we are working on something new and just plan on running better than 200.  I'll post something in the Build thread.

This was last years car:

We even made Hot Rod Magazine:

We did learn a few things and hope to put them to use with the 2012 project:  Hot Rod Lincoln

See you on the Salt.

Jon

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #2131 on: February 26, 2012, 10:29:55 PM »

We even made Hot Rod Magazine:

that's neat. bet you had a lot of fun and that you'll be going back.

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Bebe

• New folks
Re: Introduce Yourself - Bebe
« Reply #2132 on: March 01, 2012, 01:43:24 PM »
Hi, I'm Bebe from Auburn, CA.

I came here to look for info on a Vintage roadster/lakester that my Dad left to my Sisters and I when he passed recently in Jan.

There is a lot we know and even more we don't know. I'll post pics of it shortly.

Thanks in advance for all your help and I look forward to meeting you all at the swap meets.

All the best,

Bebe

Offline DND

Saying Hi
« Reply #2133 on: March 02, 2012, 04:04:32 AM »
Hi Slim & guys

I'am Don Nowell and i started going out to the lakes in 59', bought a 38' chevy coupe from Tom Finn sr in 60' 3 yrs later starting running the car in B/Gas at local drag strips.

Been to the salt 4 times just stopped in on a vacation trip in 60' - 63' spent 3 days with 2 friends from town and got to see Markley go 289 in his blown 255 cid tank. In 65' Hot Rod did a story on my gasser and was invited to go to the salt with the filming crew, what a neat time that was also going to the 2 club dinner too and did it again in 66'. In 67' i was building Can-Am engines working for Al Bartz and could not take the time off then in 68' opened my own engine shop for short track stock cars and circle racing boats and was very busy at the time each year. but kept going out to El Mirage and now i keep up by reading the Bonneville racing news and talking to long time friend Monte Wolfe.

Since 85' i retired from building engines and do new product design stuff, and to satisfy my passion still for LSR i have 6 new 1/16 scale race car models in the works a 32' blown fuel roadster - a 25' T blown modified roaster and of course a Tank to kind of honor seeing Markelys tank go 289 that day, they are resin body cars with bolt on mag wheels.

Well that is my racing past and present and really enjoy reading all the new car builds that are on here, there are some very nice cars & bikes being built and it is nice to see the building passion still going strong too.

Sincerely
Don

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #2134 on: March 02, 2012, 11:53:26 AM »
Hey Don- Welcome! :cheers:

Any pics of the '38? I'm a little partial to them!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline DND

« Reply #2135 on: March 02, 2012, 12:26:28 PM »
Hi 38

Yes if you go to my facebook page   Don Nowell  and in photos there are some nice ones, after i got the car from Tom i had the chance to buy a whole new steel 37'front end - fenders - grille & center and hoods.

Then a year later i met Curt Hamilton and he made a complete set of glass parts off of my very straight metal parts, so the car ran with a glass front end that saved me a lot of weight along with a new tube axle and 33 willys spindles & hubs and made it lighter yet. 2300 lbs ready to run and 700 lbs to make class at 9 lbs per lb for B/Gas in 63', then in 65' it went to 7 lbs and back to 2300 lbs and set a record at Irwindale in 66' of 121.80.

Later
Don

Offline bitpusher

• New folks
« Reply #2136 on: March 02, 2012, 04:15:31 PM »
Hey all,

My name is Sky, in Phoenix, and I am hoping to make BUB and WOS this year on my turbo harley.

I am happy to see a bunch of my pals from the xlf running around here.

I might as well get my first question out of the way here before i post it in the wanted section:

I need SCTA leather, any color, doesn't have to be perfect fit, don't care if it smells like ass as long as it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I am 6'3" with a long torso.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #2137 on: March 02, 2012, 04:26:02 PM »
Don, This one?

Sweet car! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline DND

« Reply #2138 on: March 02, 2012, 05:58:41 PM »
Hi 38

Yes that is the car after being lost for 25 yrs , and restored and sold to 4 different guys. Never was finished and was sold to the first guy in Mass for [ are you setting down ] $ 69,000.00 can you believe that.

The resto job was very bad and he bought it sight unseen, and had a sick feeling when he saw the car coming out of the trailer after spending that much money.

Boy some guys a crazy, i do not think that Maz's willys would bring that much coin.

The good thing is it is done nice enough to be around now and not forgotten to just rust away somewere sight unseen.

If you go to my facebook page those are the real pics from back in the day plus the Hot Rod story too

Don

Offline DND

« Reply #2139 on: March 02, 2012, 09:23:08 PM »
Hi 38

BTW i did not do the restoration, but i had the 327 that i ran so i donated it to the cause but he changed a lot of stuff and i bailed out of the project.

When i bought the new 37' front end parts i had the chance to buy 10 sets of brand new running board rubbers, since i took mine off to make it lighter i did not buy them  BIG  mistake i could have sold them in a heartbeat. Win some loose some !!!

Don

Offline Bjohnny

• New folks
« Reply #2140 on: March 04, 2012, 07:15:29 PM »
RE: HoT Rod Lincoln.............looks like a great project. Those look fast just sitting still! Looking forward to my first trip to the salt (spectators). see 'ya there!

Offline Bjohnny

• New folks
« Reply #2141 on: March 04, 2012, 07:44:31 PM »
As a newbie and first time visitor to the salt..........how about some info on where to go and where NOT to go on the salt. Also some tips about being in and around the pits so we are not in anyones way, but can still have fun. It's not my grandson I'm worried about, it is me :-). Thanks!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2142 on: March 04, 2012, 08:34:00 PM »
It's pretty easy to not get into trouble with wet spots and such at the Bonneville salt flats -- just pay attention to the map that is available, make sure you follow the cones and instructions, and don't get to taken with exploring once you think you've got it all figured out.

As for the pits - well, without a pit pass you aren't allowed to drive into the area.  You're welcome to walk about or ride your bicycle, but to drive a vehicle you'll need that pass - which you get by being registered on a crew or team.  Speed limit in the pits is 5 mph - because most of the race vehicles that will be moving are being pushed or pulled and don't have brakes or other such niceties, as well as (usually) compromised vision from the driver seat.  Be extra careful and give the racer every consideration. 

As for getting too close (for instance) - common sense rules.  There are no rules to prevent you from getting close up to the pit - - other than if the crew asks you to back off you should back off.  If there's something going on that's causing high stress levels you might be greeted with a bit of a raised voice, so be aware.  Other than that -- it's not unknown at all for a spectator to wander a bit close to a pit and, upon being seen by someone working in the pit, being told something like "Hey.  Would you mind coming here and grabbing this wrench and holding while I tighten this?"  There are not many secrets in land sped racing, so not many times will you be chased away for the possibility of stealing a super-secret idea.

We look forward to seeing you on the salt.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2143 on: March 05, 2012, 10:19:24 AM »
BJon, the pits last year was 300 yards by a mile.  The easy way to see vehicles is in the waiting to run lines.  The farther back you are, the more time folks have to talk about their car. 
If you wander out off the beaten path you risk your wallet and your safety.  There have been several threads on this topic, do a little search.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #2144 on: March 08, 2012, 02:58:27 PM »
If you wander out off the beaten path you risk your wallet and your safety.  There have been several threads on this topic, do a little search.

I assume you're talking about the Boyd Coddington Incident?
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder