Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2276675 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #2040 on: January 10, 2012, 03:47:11 PM »
Which NW suburb, John?  It doesn't say in the avatar space -- and we prefer to have members of the Forum list it so we can easily find out where you are - for instance, when somebody might offer help if he knew where you are.  Go back to registration and select "profile", and once there, fill in "location".  Thanks, and welcome to the Forum.  Make yourself at home and join in the fun.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2041 on: January 10, 2012, 10:09:30 PM »
John, welcome... lakester guy right?  still hold the 2 liter fuel record if I remember correctly...
and welcome to Kansas.  Send me a PM when you get here so we can get together for a cold one or 2
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #2042 on: January 11, 2012, 08:46:12 AM »
John, welcome... lakester guy right?  still hold the 2 liter fuel record if I remember correctly...
and welcome to Kansas.  Send me a PM when you get here so we can get together for a cold one or 2
 :cheers:

Count on it, Robert.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #2043 on: January 11, 2012, 11:41:07 AM »
Hello, my name is John Goodman and I am a salt addict. I currently live in a Northwestern suburb of Chicago but around July of this year, will be moving in Stainless Steel's back yard (Andover, KS). I am something of a 2.0L nut and hope to get back on the salt soon.

I can confirm this guy is a salt addict! First time we met in 5 minutes we both confirmed our addictions and John offered to loan me one of his cars to run!  Welcome to the forum you former lurker! :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

gschris

« Reply #2044 on: January 13, 2012, 09:42:01 PM »
Hi, name is Chris Norris, I have been involved in racing of some sort of another my whole life.I live in ellsworth maine, and am very interested in LSR..

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #2045 on: January 13, 2012, 11:27:23 PM »
Welcome aboard Chris!
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline dw230

« Reply #2046 on: January 13, 2012, 11:53:26 PM »
Sorry to skip over the welcomes for Chris. I know John, if you have access to Smokey Yunick's bio John is mentioned as a player. I have confimered this with John, he said yes. I was impressed with his small cc lakester when he joined the 2 club years ago.

John is a guy with street cred, listen to him,

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline ggl205

« Reply #2047 on: January 16, 2012, 11:51:18 AM »
Sorry to skip over the welcomes for Chris. I know John, if you have access to Smokey Yunick's bio John is mentioned as a player. I have confimered this with John, he said yes. I was impressed with his small cc lakester when he joined the 2 club years ago.

John is a guy with street cred, listen to him,

DW
Stop it, Dan, you are making me blush! Hey, we do have something interesting in the works. Take a look at this engine http://www.loripilati.com/Savannah-Race-Engines/Savannah-Race-Engineering/12067583_J6WWW/2/934708068_uXLSe#!i=934839113&k=CKR9M&lb=1&s=A It is a 1600cc Ford Cosworth but using a proprietary cylinder head designed and built by John Stowe. In 2.0L configuration, output is expected to be nearing 400 HP, normally aspirated, on gas. If all goes well, it will power a streamliner this year at one of the USFRA meets. I apologize if this is an inappropriate place to post this and will delete it if needs be. 

John   

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #2048 on: January 16, 2012, 02:18:50 PM »
Wow.  I hope you do a "build diary" on this site and keep posting. 
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline knottsre

• New folks
  • I am Speed!
« Reply #2049 on: January 16, 2012, 05:53:19 PM »
My name is Russ Knotts and I have been the USFRA World of Speed 130 Club starter since 2006.  I have been following landracing.com for the last 10 years at least.  This is my second entry into the forum.  2011 was the second year that I ran my 1984 Mazda RX7 in the 130 Club.  In 2010, my top speed was 118.2 mph, and in 2011, my top speed was 122 mph.  I am looking for improvements that would get me over 130 mph in my quest to make the 130 club.  One idea is that I would like to change the front end alignment on the car for straight line running.  I currently run 22.5" M&H front tires on the front and 27" Mickey Thompson front runners on the rear of the car.  I would appreciate some recommendation as to setting the toe-in, caster and chamber on the car.  I have no handling issues with the car, however, I understand that aligning the front end geometry for straight line running could affect top speed somewhat. 

Thanks in advance for responding to my question.  I asked this same question in the steering, suspension forum earlier, and tried it here since this forum seems to have alot of viewers.

Russ Knotts

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #2050 on: January 16, 2012, 10:59:13 PM »
... something interesting in the works... 2.0L... nearing 400 HP... normally aspirated... on gas...
Very interesting. Pneumatic valve actuation?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline ggl205

« Reply #2051 on: January 17, 2012, 08:45:42 AM »
... something interesting in the works... 2.0L... nearing 400 HP... normally aspirated... on gas...
Very interesting. Pneumatic valve actuation?

Nope, just conventional springs. I am not sure what the RPM band will look like, John Stowe would know better about this but 12,000+ RPM has been mentioned.

John

Offline BvilleBound

• New folks
« Reply #2052 on: January 17, 2012, 09:56:31 PM »
Hello All!

My brother and I grew up in Southern California, building street rods.  We were fortunate to find some Original Racers -- Joe Reath, Ed Iskendarian and many more -- who were happy to show a couple of high school kids the ropes.  My brother built a blown '34 flathead that he raced at the Antique Nationals, and won his bracket at age 16!  (I futzed around with a 66 Mustang that I never completed.)

Now we are both 30+ years older, and ready to pick up where we left off.  My brother already did -- he was part of the FlatCad team that debuted at Speed Week in 2011.  They ran a 'mule' engine to pass inspection and shake out the kinks in the car.  The cool Flat Caddy engine will hit the salt next year.

I was inspired by my brother's story, and we are ready to pass the torch to my son.  He is a freshman in high school, about the same age we were when we caught the bug.  So... we are building a couple of engines for the lower end of the Pro class.  This will be great experience; they don't teach this kind of hands-on engineering in school, and it ain't no  ##!!  video game!  He should be ready for the driver's seat in a couple of years, after some time 'in the pits' with a wrench.

A big Thank You to everyone who worked to build SCTA from the beginning -- and the generations that continue to support this great enterprise.

We look forward to learning from everyone who ran the salt before us...       
Mark Hays
BvilleBound in Wayland, MA

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2053 on: January 17, 2012, 10:31:52 PM »
Mark, welcome to the forum, as you know this is the place to find out and get help on the build. I also grew up in So.Cal until 7 years ago when we moved to Utah. I had work done by Reath & Mailliard used Isky cams, ran drags and lakes. Still involved with the salt as past chief timer and now the announcer as well as crew member to the 444 Vesco streamliner. Hope to see you on the salt. BTW. we have a chat line every Tuesday nite on this web site, join us.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Tman

« Reply #2054 on: January 18, 2012, 02:39:39 PM »
Mark, welcome. Sorry about being related to Dale :-D