Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2276730 times)

Offline Emil Shuffhausen

• New folks
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1920 on: October 24, 2011, 11:46:29 PM »
Lee, welcome to the fray.... The 1100 puts you in the same class as the hayabusa... H, 62 to 93 inches.  Build your 1100 to a 1500 to get enough inches.  I just happen to know the fuel record was set with a 65 ci motor, an old ZX10, bored as large as it would go.
Is the 1100 air or water cooled?  Air can be tough in an enclosed car.  Start a build thread and keep us up to date.

The GS is air-cooled. Cooling would certainly be a concern, but I was thinking of making a shroud like air-cooled VWs, along with a scoop/air duct. Hayabusa power would be the goal, but the GS is cheap and tough; an inexpensive way to get licensed and some passes down the runway/salt.  I saw 2 GS1100s on Craigslist for under 400 bucks. They need tune ups, but still, it's a complete bike. Take the engine and sell the rest.

Build thread? Man, it might be a REALLY long-term project. I'm a plumber, which is supposed to be recession-proof, but a lot of folks are letting things just stay broken these days.

I need to order a rule book. I got a dirt-cheap tank...50 bucks, but it is very small; 23" dia and about 12" long.  I'm wondering if I can come up with a better body on my own. Hmmmm...'glass-covered Sonotube???

BTW- how do I start a new thread? I'm a message board junkie but I can't figure it out here.

Thanks.
I'm not really Michael Caine's character from "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels".

Lee Owens

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #1921 on: October 25, 2011, 12:20:09 AM »
Hello from the Finger Lakes area of NYS (been here all my 71 years, so far).

Land-speed racing will be a totally new adventure for me, with the "Speed Queen" lakester. I purchased it early this year, sans engine.

"Challenger" mini-puller attests to my fascination with everything Pontiac and Mickey Thompson. Eleven of the seventeen seasons I campaigned it was with the aluminum M/T hemi in the photo.

I'll power the lakester with some form of M/T hemi Pontiac, probably an inline four (182 c.i. for 'F' class). Port investigation is currently proceeding on my spare hemi head, hoping to support 4 HP/c.i. blown-fuel. To realize this goal, I'll need to complete my DOHC design for it.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 12:49:42 AM by Pontiac Jack »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1922 on: October 25, 2011, 12:30:07 AM »
Jack nice lakester but it looks like the body panels might hang over the wheels a little.... could have a wheelbase length problem, stretch it a little...

Lee, go to build thread index, on the right top should be the start a new topic.  Same for all if I am remembering it right.  Might need to make the middle longer... 12 ft might be a little tight...  ours is 24 wide, and that is tight... would make a great fun non-racing project, look in on the Aussies, they are working on a fun tank

Jack, no fair when you change pictures...  :x
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 12:37:45 AM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #1923 on: October 25, 2011, 12:54:43 AM »
... it looks like the body panels might hang over the wheels a little...
I'll check that out, although the car has run Bonneville and Maxton previously with ZERO technical faults or required changes.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1924 on: October 25, 2011, 08:53:17 AM »
Jack nice lakester but it looks like the body panels might hang over the wheels a little.... could have a wheelbase length problem, stretch it a little...

PJack, when I wrote that you only had a pic of the tractor on the post and the word test...  :-D that's why I said it wasn't fair to change pics.  the lakester looks great, put the tractor motor in it  :-o
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 08:59:03 AM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Jimsdaughter

• New folks
« Reply #1925 on: October 30, 2011, 01:24:04 PM »
My name is Julie Johnson Thornberry.  I am Jim Johnson's daughter (he died at Bonneville in 2006).  His car was the "Grreat Grape".  I'm trying to find out who owns it now.  Last I heard was 2008 and it was a guy named Scott Hunter.  Any help?

Reply here or to tacticalgeek@charter.net

Offline Cranky1

• New folks
« Reply #1926 on: October 31, 2011, 01:50:35 PM »
Seems like I've been here before....but that is happening more and more as I get older. :-o Fastest 'official' time is 9.95 @ 134. Yup, another drag racer but have given some thought to the Texas Mile instead of the 1/4 these days and I have the perfect car for it...a 66 Plymouth Belvedere. Think 67 GTX and you have basically the same car only mine is a 2 dr sedan. A brick for sure. Even a 56 Chevy has a smoother body! Btw, my name is Dave and I'm from Pasadena Texas.....

Julie, sorry to hear that about your dad.

Offline wisdonm

« Reply #1927 on: November 02, 2011, 10:28:48 PM »
Howdy. I'm Don from Brookfield, Wisconsin. I have been involved in racing since 1967. Currently I crew on a SCCA FF and MG-B. I have been lurking here for several months after being invited by Dr. Goggles. I originally came to do research for a model project I am working on. I have been following Dr. Goggles, Milwaukee Midget, love reading superford317, and many others.

As I said, I like to build models, but they are all based on reality. I am currently working on a K/GL.

I have previously built an unlimited.

Stand on it....brakes only slow you down.

Has a checkered past.

Offline Hibs

• New folks
« Reply #1928 on: November 04, 2011, 03:47:05 PM »
New guy here. I've got a 2000 Kawasaki ZX12R I plan to attend some LSR events with this next year. I'll be moving to CA in May/June of 2012, so looking at the Mojave Mile. Looks like a lot of good info on this board.

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #1929 on: November 07, 2011, 04:59:47 PM »
New guy here. I've got a 2000 Kawasaki ZX12R I plan to attend some LSR events with this next year. I'll be moving to CA in May/June of 2012, so looking at the Mojave Mile. Looks like a lot of good info on this board.

Hibler!!!!!!

It's good to see you here!   Send me an email and I can hook you up with the right crowd here :-)

-Scott

Offline Hibs

• New folks
« Reply #1930 on: November 09, 2011, 07:53:13 PM »
SCOTT! Awesome man, didn't know you frequented this board. I'll be sending you a message for sure, we need to catch up!

Offline Wootykazoo

• New folks
« Reply #1931 on: November 09, 2011, 09:17:07 PM »
Ed from Michigan.

I have had an SCTA rule book since 2006.
If I ever make it to the salt I would probably run a small production bike.
Seems cheep and easy, all things being relative.

I have been pondering the idea of buying an SCCA Spec. Miata that is fully raced prepared to see what it could do.

I was (I.D.BA.) International Drag Bike Association, Super Street National Champion in 1991.
Ran an 85’ Suzuki GS1150E on a 10:50 index.
Raced Super Gas and have gone 9:75  @ 142 on this bike.
Took a Hyabusa to 176 indicated (more like 160 actual).

I have also raced alcohol Karts.
Think Karts are just for kids? Try going 60 MPH one inch from the ground with 23 of your closest enemies.

I came to this forum to learn.

Thank you,
Ed

p.s.

Has anyone ever run a 78 thru 81 vette on the salt?

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #1932 on: November 09, 2011, 09:55:35 PM »
Sorry, There is only one Hibler, Harry the Hand Grenade Hibler.  :cheers: Tony
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 09:58:58 PM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline JeePy

• New folks
« Reply #1933 on: November 09, 2011, 10:22:53 PM »
Hi!
I'm a new member from Canada (Montréal) I have been riding motorcycles for a few years now .I ride mostly on the track ...
I always been fascinated by land speed ... and I'm looking forward to ride at Bonneville next summer . will have a lot question .
thanks
J-P

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1934 on: November 10, 2011, 12:53:07 AM »
J-P, there is a lot of expertise on this forum.  Just start a build diary and ask the questions.