Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2276506 times)

Offline emf1600

• New folks
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1905 on: October 03, 2011, 08:40:13 PM »
I've been lurking for a while, now that there's going to be an LSR event near me I figure I should probably introduce myself.

My name is Gene from Cincinnati, OH. I've been around car and bike racing all my life. My dad was a motorcycle dealer and former SCCA/IMSA racer. I attended Speed Week with him in the late 1980s (I'm 32 now), but I haven't been back to the salt since. I have helped with the construction of a couple of LSR cars at various shops that I've worked at, and I'm planning on having a bike project ready for the Wilmington events in 2012.

My personal motorsport background is mostly cars, NASA and SCCA roadracing and NMRA drag racing, but I've also raced WERA and CCS on motorcycles.

I'm glad to be here, and grateful that there is a good source of LSR-specific tech. Thanks for having me. :)

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #1906 on: October 04, 2011, 03:50:11 PM »
ECTA is running 4 events in 2012 in Willmington Ohio. Hope to see you there.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #1907 on: October 04, 2011, 06:08:19 PM »
You can ride the bike to Wilmington, race and then ride it home ...

Offline TAKERRY

« Reply #1908 on: October 05, 2011, 12:06:35 PM »

SORRY DW
AUTOCOMPONENTI DRIVER J.STECK 8/09 G/BGMS 230.352
ALSO RECORDS IN G/FMS AND G/BFMS
UNDER BESIC MOTOR SPORTS ALSO
OWNER RICHARD KREINES

Anyway had the greatest time at the WOS. Counting the days until next year.
Would you believe my power feed from starter to dash broke yesterday. had to pull loom from starter to fix. I did have a problem once at Bonneville but on second try car started. I thought maybe I didn't have in park all the way. See ya next year. Love to talk.
Kerry Friedman 79 T/A white black hood
T61

No trailer ran 135mph at the World of Speed 2011 see you in 2012 in Ohio and back at Bonneville at the world of speed going for the 150club 1979 Firebird T/A White . Ck out YOU TUBE. KERRY AT BONNEVILLE. Didn't  make 2012,2013,2014. ECTA in Ohio 2012 trans went out and 2013 fuel problems . Still trans and fuel problems. Finally all looks good. Ready to drive (no trailer) 1500 miles to Bonneville and It's cancelled. NEXT YEAR. SEPT. ECTA RAN 144 MPH. GETTING BETTER. 2021 Ran 152 fulfilled a ten year dream to make the 150 club.

Offline dw230

« Reply #1909 on: October 07, 2011, 03:06:33 PM »
No need to apologize. Some will say that the Alfa, now the Mike Cook car, was not sports car in the Alfa mode rather than a red sportsliner.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline NVR2L8

• New folks
« Reply #1910 on: October 11, 2011, 08:29:15 PM »
My name is Dane Benning.  Been a motorcycle and car guy for about 45 years.  Done a few track days and raced for about 5 years in SCCA Solo II events in the Dayton, Cincinnati and Columbus, Ohio region.  Heard about the ECTA around 2005 but never made it to Maxton.  Now that you all are coming to my back yard, I'm just 15 miles from Wilmington, I joined up and am going to try my best at age 57 to run at speed on my bike with no cars or cops around!  Mark one off of my bucket list!  :cheers:

See everyone in 2012!
When you push the envelope, sometimes it pushes back!

Offline Zeero

• New folks
« Reply #1911 on: October 11, 2011, 08:33:47 PM »
Bucket List

I've wanted to shoot the salt since I was 18. Now I'm 68 and I've got a real shot at making WOS next year. Driving at the Bonneville runs is on my "bucket list."

I want to some runs in my daily driver Nissan 350Z for the 130 club, and I'm willing to coat the car in salt to fulfill this bucket-list item. However, if anyone can give me sound advice on how to get all that salt out of my car, I would appreciate it. I would like for this car to outlive me (5–7 years).

Advice will be appreciated.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #1912 on: October 11, 2011, 08:45:02 PM »
Zeero, welcome to the landracing web site. The only way to remove salt is to prepare the car first. There are two products used. I use salt-x and the other is salt away. It is sprayed on the underside of the car. I use a Hudson spray unit and pretty much cover the area that have alum or alloy parts. The suspension can be protected with a mixture of 1 gal of thinner with 1 qt. of oil. Again a Hudson sprayer works well.

Clean up after is lots of fresh water cleaning. I usually put a lawn sprinkler under the car or truck for several hours and let it dry. Then the hose and nozzle laying on your back or if you have a car lift that's even better. The service truck and trailer need the same treatment including pulling the wheels & drums. You will get others on here with what they do as well.

BTW where do you live, you may have help near you
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Zeero

• New folks
« Reply #1913 on: October 11, 2011, 09:23:07 PM »
Glen:

I am in Tulsa, OK.

Yours is the first specific info I have received on this subject. THANKS! I will lay in those products.

I have a high-pressure sprayer, but I'm afraid it would just force the salt into crevices and activate it with the water. But, I have to say, even if the car melts away from salt corrosion, I will be a happy camper having shot the salt. Who knows why this is such a compulsion, but speeding down the saltflats and taking a lap or two in the Budweiser unlimited hydroplane have always haunted my dreams. Realistically, the hydroplane experience ain't gonna be real, but I think I can make Bonneville happen.

Thanks for your replies.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #1914 on: October 11, 2011, 09:58:09 PM »
Zeero, I don't use a pressure washer for the reason you stated just a hose with a good nozzle and a lot of hours to do it. BTW, it will take several times and you will still find a spot of salt on the garage floor later.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Ellwood

• I do landracing on ice-Flying Kilometer in Sweden
    • Ellwood Hybrid - Crankcase Supercharged Prototypes
« Reply #1915 on: October 15, 2011, 02:11:42 AM »
Hi, Ellwood here, living in Sweden for the last 20 years.

I`ve always been interested in motorcycles: raced motocross, enduro, classic sidecars, speedway, dragrace, 4 hours endurance roadrace , and supermono. On the to do list is race my classic Yamaha 250 at the Manx GP 2010.
I started landracing this year on a ploughed 3 km straight on an icy lake near Funäsdalen in the north of Sweden. It was great fun, but a bit cold -30 degrees C. My engine never got warmed up properly, so managed only one run on full choke.
Now the EFI is programmed to cope with the cold, and hope to better my pathetic run next year in March.
Anyone interested in our Swedish Motor Alliance club www.landracing.se can see some of the videos and pictures from up there, although its all in Swedish so far.

Now we have our own Crazy Swedes Flying Kilometer on Ice on the Topic board, so please ask any questions regarding such there.

Otherwise I experiment with my prototype crankcase supercharged engines, and develope/race them in speedway, roadracing, hillclimbs and the flying k. Also interested in rockets - tried this nitrogen filled tube, but it didnt go far or fast with the standard 4mm outlet.

Offline Christopher Lang

• New folks
« Reply #1916 on: October 22, 2011, 12:00:24 PM »
Just a quick note of introduction.  I've only been to the salt flats once, and that wasn't during an event, but the bug bit me, and has been festering ever since.  I'm into old cars, like many here I'm sure.  I'm hoping to make it down to the Salt as a spectator in a few years perhaps.  Some day of course, I'd really like to go down the track.  I currently don't own anything that will go over 65mph (on asphalt yet!).  I'm a lurker, and sure enjoy seeing the builds that go on here.  I don't think I can get speed rated tires for my Model T One Ton Truck, I also suspect no one would want to be behind me, watching me go down the track at 18 mph.  Guess this mean I'll need to build a speedster of some kind.

If I buy a rule book, will that tell me all I want to know about classes, what I can race, if I need a roll-cage, etc?  That will sure prevent me from asking a bunch of dumb questions, although I suspect I could get those all out of the way pretty quick! 

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1917 on: October 22, 2011, 01:56:23 PM »
Go for it Chris. SCTA-BNI hold the largest meets, USFRA has more flexible rules allowing a broader range of vehicles with the classes that correspond to the SCTA classes following the same rules and being eligible for the same records while BUB may fill the bill if you think maybe a motorcycle could fill your desires.

Good luck!

Pete

Offline Emil Shuffhausen

• New folks
« Reply #1918 on: October 24, 2011, 12:31:36 AM »
Not sure if I'm doing this right...

Anyway- I'm Lee (not really Michael Caine's character from Dirty Rotten Scoundrels).  I want to go fast. I know speed costs money and times are tough. I got a screamin' deal on a small belly tank. I'm thinking that a hot-rodded GS1100 engine could be a relatively inexpensive way to go racing. Certainly less expensive than a Hayabusa engine. Less HP, too, but almost cheap enough to just blow them up and replace them :)
I'm not really Michael Caine's character from "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels".

Lee Owens

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1919 on: October 24, 2011, 10:00:57 AM »
Lee, welcome to the fray.... The 1100 puts you in the same class as the hayabusa... H, 62 to 93 inches.  Build your 1100 to a 1500 to get enough inches.  I just happen to know the fuel record was set with a 65 ci motor, an old ZX10, bored as large as it would go.
Is the 1100 air or water cooled?  Air can be tough in an enclosed car.  Start a build thread and keep us up to date.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O