Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2276732 times)

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1875 on: August 23, 2011, 10:56:18 PM »
Have a great time on your building adventure. :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1876 on: August 23, 2011, 11:18:32 PM »
Jerry;

Welcome to this forum. I guess we are somewhat similar in interests as I've been interested in cars for a long time and have been working in electronics for even longer-- analog circuits, though; I know very little about digital systems.

I have a Crower SBC mechanical FI that I will eventually convert to EFI, so I may ask for some recommendations when that time comes.

Regards, Neil   (San Diego, CA)
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline FoundSoul

• MegaSquirt Your Mind!
    • DIYAutoTune.com
« Reply #1877 on: August 24, 2011, 11:58:42 AM »
Thanks for the welcome guys... I'm looking forward to it.  Kindof reminds me of 10 years ago when I was an enthusiast that couldn't stop thinking about my projects.  It hasn't been quite that way for the last few years as I've been in the business, but this has got my mind going 100mph again.  Or maybe 200mph ;)

Feel free to hit me/us up on that EFI conversion project when the time comes.  We'd be glad to assist and could probably save you a buck or two.
Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'
http://www.DIYAutoTune.com and http://AMPEFI.com
13 Records total held at the ECTA Ohio Mile (as of 9/2015)
Fastest so far-- AA/BGC Record @ 217.3913mph September 2015  -- MS3Pro Engine Management and a little 3.0 liter

Congrats to our customers:
Lee Sicilio - 1969 Daytona Charger #97 - Bonneville A/BGALT Record Holder - 273.514mph - MegaSquirt-3 EFI and Ignition Control
Gary Hart - 1953 Studebaker #787 - Bonneville AA/BGALT Record Holder - 240.984mph - MegaSquirt-1 EFI and Ignition Control
Frank Kinney - Black Opel Racing #6666 - Bonneville E/GMS Recond Holder - 208.974mph - MegaSquirt-3 EFI and Ignition Control

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1878 on: August 24, 2011, 12:24:46 PM »
Thanks, Jerry-- I'll keep that in mind.

Regards, Neil   (San Diego, CA)
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline craigibc

« Reply #1879 on: August 29, 2011, 09:58:07 PM »
Brand New here!

Craig Durham and Jon Durham Escondido,Ca.

Over the last few years we (with my 22 year old son) have fallen in love with what is happening with Bonneville racing and our desire to build a car to run on the salt. We love the grassroots movement that seems to be in this culture and are eager to be a part of it.

We have decided to build my 62 Falcon to race at Bonneville next year (2012). This spring we made alot of changes to the drive train so we can race it. We just got the SCTA rulebook in the mail last week and will start making the rest of the changes so we can race. We are going for a sub 150 with the car next year and hopefully over the next few years we will be able to build a car and make it into the 200mph Club. We are green and excited about what we may learn from everyone here!

Thanks for listening!

Craig

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #1880 on: August 29, 2011, 10:16:10 PM »
Welcome to the forum .. there is the greatest collection of knowledge you could ever find in one site /

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1881 on: August 30, 2011, 08:41:26 AM »
Holey-Moley -- a '62 Falcon.  One of my first cars to drive.  My aunt bought one - auto, small 6, CONVERTIBLE -- and her son/my cousin and I spent many hours getting better at wheeling it around.  Unh, I was 14 at the time -- yeah, I'd been driving for a couple of years by then.

Great to have you on the Forum, folks.  Enjoy yourselves and please don't be afraid to ask even the dumb questions.  We really do want to see you racing right next to us.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RichFox

« Reply #1882 on: August 30, 2011, 09:04:05 AM »
I think it's great fun to hear about first time Bonneville cars. The reasons for picking the car and power are often purely personal and just plain a good story. I never had a Falcon, but a few friends sure did. Wont you tell us more about your group and your car?

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline craigibc

« Reply #1884 on: August 31, 2011, 01:54:41 AM »
The funny part of the whole story is that I have been a lifetime mopar lover. My son picked this car up a few years ago and we have been slowly building it for an unknown purpose until this past year. We put a new Edelbrock EFI intake and a Megasquirt and also a Paxton Supercharger. Still working out the bugs on the engine but I also have a 8.8 explorer disk brake rear end with a tracloc and a AOD transmission that is going in before the end of the year. So this thing has slowly evolved into some project! After this is done we are going to focus on getting this car ready for the SCTA rule book and racing.

Thanks for the welcome!

Craig

Offline SabreTooth

« Reply #1885 on: September 01, 2011, 11:35:37 PM »
I should probably introduce myself...

Not so many years ago and with no prior history and experience other than a love of classic vehicles in my youth, I developed a keen desire to own and ride bikes. I took a motorcycle safety course, got my license and bought my first bike... I like to do things the hard way, a 1947 Sunbeam S7...so, now I'm hooked.

About the same time, I watched "that" wonderfully inspirational film, that I'm certain everyone here has seen, car or bike fan, about Burt and his old Indian Scout...er, I'll admit to having seen it seen it more than one time since...So, how better than to combine bikes and speed with a pinch of salt. To that end I kept my eyes and ears open and eventually after 2 years of ogling a particular motorcycle on the Intarweb, fell in love with the lines of the attached and procured it some 18 months ago. There's a long story attached to the bike and no, alas, it is not a Rudge and remains an enigma. It is none the less an interesting find and I'm still happy with the purchase. I shall tell the story elsewhere in the forum as a build thread at sometime hence. What I can divulge is that the bike was purportedly raced in Denmark, has a 250 cc J.A.P. engine and was built / modified in the 30's.

Work has intervened for some 18 months but I was very fortunate to get a last minute, second chance to go with a fellow Canuck (that's a Canadian to you south of the 49th parallel folks :-) & team to Speed Week 2011 and the Bonneville Salt Flats and knock off one or two "bucket list" items. Alas, now I have added quite a few more items to said list and intend to return to race.

So, here I am with an incurable addiction to salt 'n' bikes and a head full of ideas and dreams. Thanks for all the great information to be found on this forum so far. I look forward to contributing in any way I can.

Best regards,

Jim
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 11:37:29 PM by SabreTooth »

Offline greyforestlakester

• New folks
« Reply #1886 on: September 02, 2011, 05:07:57 PM »
126 pages of intro!?  Seems like there should be a standard for this.
1.  Just went to my first Bonneville this year.
2.  61 and wear my "Still Plays with Cars" shirt.
3.  Friend gave me an Albatross belly tank years ago and I bought the 1/18" scale SoCal tank model for inspiration.
4.  Brain damaged so I mess with flatheads in streetrods.
5.  A couple of years back I bought a TIG for myself for Christmas.  I love that thing and that is a big reason for wanting to build the tank.
6.  Signed up for a "Learning the Basics of AutoCAD" adult education class for this fall.  I was in engineering for 3 years in college before I realized that graduation with that degree was dubious and I might lose my chance to go fly jets for the Navy.  But, heck, I don't think they had CAD back then anyway, so I hope I can learn enough to put the tank on the computer drawing board first.
7.  That's it in a nutshell for now.  Been lurking for a while as my high school buddies and I planned our trip this year.  Hope to soon be asking stupid questions and enjoying the hospitality of all here and those I met during Speed Week.  Thanks, Lou

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #1887 on: September 02, 2011, 05:30:10 PM »
Welcome Lou, always good to see more people from S.A. getting into Bonneville/LSR. There are quite a few in the area.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline greyforestlakester

• New folks
« Reply #1888 on: September 03, 2011, 10:09:10 AM »
So Fred, where is the "Bonnevillians of S.A." breakfast meeting spot? :-D

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #1889 on: September 03, 2011, 11:45:27 AM »
The only time there is a get together of any kind is when the Duffin's corvette sets a record or 2. feel free to email me or call me. pm me for #,email is fred@46weststorage.com.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing