Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2277918 times)

Offline 55chevr

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1845 on: July 19, 2011, 09:58:27 PM »
bonneville is the holy grail of racing ... you only have to go once and you wont be able to stop going

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #1846 on: July 19, 2011, 10:23:21 PM »
Ron, welcome to the forum. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline DaveB

« Reply #1847 on: July 25, 2011, 03:12:01 PM »
This looks like a good forum and a good bunch of folks.

I'll introduce myself by saying I'm a grey haired guy that has been involved in various types of racing. I have had a couple drag cars, raced sprint Karts, and raced off road bikes for years.

I have allways enjoyed designing, building and debugging things whether they are vehicles or equipment. I have an engineering degree from Ohio University (1980). I recognize and respect experience. It along with proper application is most of the battle, so you do not have to worry about me getting off on some theoretical tangent.

LSR, especially Bonneville has allways been a dream of mine and I appreciate how anyone with the fortitude (and not necessarily the right sponsor) can have fun and possibly be competitive. Much of my interest is in 2 stroke bikes.

I may be sharing my opinions (no guarantees) about drag, power, friction etc on this forum.
Everything I know about opera, I learned from Bugs Bunny.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1848 on: July 25, 2011, 03:23:26 PM »
Dave, I think that something that is related to all of us -- well, most of us at least -- is that we indeed, do have the same sponsor(s).  You'll hear it when the announcer at Bonneville reads the information sheet about each vehicle:  "And this car/bike is sponsored by So and So Hot Rod Shop, Such and Such Welding, the owner's Master Card, the owner's home equity line of credit, and the owner's Social Security checks."  I know that's where most of our money is from . . . :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline DaveB

« Reply #1849 on: July 25, 2011, 03:42:47 PM »
My sponsor comment was meant to imply most LSR vehicles are mostly self sponsored.
Everything I know about opera, I learned from Bugs Bunny.

Offline mr56f100

• New folks
« Reply #1850 on: July 27, 2011, 06:26:01 PM »
Hi!
My name is Larry Reece. I'm heading to Bonneville this year for the first time in my life. The mystic has finally gotten to me and I have to go! My biggest concern is catching "Salt Fever"! (I'm sure I'll survive) I appreciate all the good advice I have found on this site. Planning on parking my camper trailer at the bend in the road and joining you fine folks. Just to throw it out there... I will be there from the 12-19th. I'm a FAA licensed A&P aircraft mechanic for United Airlines. Gearhead my whole life (Kids raced quarter midgets, did NASCAR etc..) If somebody needs a "Gopher", "Parts washer" etc, I'm willing to work for "T" shirts  :-D Thanks again!   

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #1851 on: July 27, 2011, 06:30:17 PM »
Welcome Larry, good to have you. Salt fever is incurable but not lethal. :roll: Hard on the wallet and credit cards. But it is so much fun. :cheers:

Frewd
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline nanno

• New folks
« Reply #1852 on: July 28, 2011, 03:23:13 PM »
I have heard about Bonneville for the first time a few years ago, when I was 18 or 19 and the idea of a place "to see how fast she'll go", is both very appealing and almost surreal to me. Seeing all those pictures and build diaries here, leads me to believe that I will go there one day. As they say: Every journey starts with a first step, I have an old Kawa Z1000J chassis plus some bits and bobs, that I will slowly yet steadily develop towards the aim of cracking the 200mph on an old Z1000. (I know lots of you are a lot faster, but this is my aim and it should be possible to achieve for me...)

Cheers,
Greg

Offline MC 1314

« Reply #1853 on: July 28, 2011, 03:32:32 PM »
Greg  Seems to me the first step was hardest, after you make that one things go pretty fast..on the salt and off!
You can learn a lot here, I know I sure did. People here are the gretest and the most helpful you will find anywhere.
Good luck
Bob
It's just a case of too soon old and too late smart. Will Penny

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #1854 on: July 28, 2011, 06:02:27 PM »
Good luck with reaching 200 ... your antique Z1 made 85 hp stock ... you will need to double that for 200

Offline kyle_pc_75

• New folks
« Reply #1855 on: July 29, 2011, 09:10:17 PM »
I've been coming to Speed Week for a few years now and dragging more and more people with me each time.  The second time, I don't have to drag them along.  We spectate and LOVE it.  We do desert racing as well, but there's nothing like the Flats.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1856 on: July 29, 2011, 09:54:46 PM »
Ray, ban this guy he's a spammer :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #1857 on: July 29, 2011, 10:17:36 PM »
Even if he is not, ban him for a total non grasp of the english language. :-o
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline bucketlist

« Reply #1858 on: July 30, 2011, 12:49:41 AM »
Be tolerant. This reads like it came through a translation program. You can follow the gist of it easily enough, and who knows, his next helpful post might answer one of the big aero questions.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1859 on: July 30, 2011, 02:39:29 AM »
Bucketlist, being tolerant of spammers leads very quickly to them overrunning the board. Once that happens the board quickly becomes next to useless. In this case tolerance is BAD.

Pete