Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2278036 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1815 on: June 03, 2011, 08:18:29 PM »
Well, - rather than start a thread -- how 'bout making an introductory post or two about your project, your car, and your goals?  Do that in the Aero topic - maybe titled "Drag racer's attempts at aero, not LSR".  If you get booed out of the house -- you'll know that you weren't especially welcome on the LSR site.  I wouldn't be surprised, though, if you get some interested folks to comment and maybe help you get through the air more betterer.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline normh

• New folks
« Reply #1816 on: June 06, 2011, 05:12:56 AM »
Hi, the name is Norm, Ive been visiting this forum for sometime now but only just regestered. I'm a pom living in Oz so I'm undecided as to who to back in the land speed record attempt there's the elite Brits who have done it all before, then there are two Australian challengers one as good as the other in my opinion. Then we have the North American Eagle the only team to date ready to go, It's a pitty they aren't going for 1000mph too good luck to all of you in all your endevours

thanks
Norm

Offline shawnf

• New folks
« Reply #1817 on: June 10, 2011, 12:56:46 AM »
Ok it is about time I stopped lurking on this site and introduced myself.  My name is Shawn Fetter and I am a total speed junkie so I didn't have a chance when introduced to LSR.  I am building a 87 Camaro to run in AGALT and we also would like to run it in AFALT.  The car was being built a few years ago by my Dad and a friend.  The car was owned by his friend and my Dad built and supplied the motor.  While on on the way to its maiden voyage at El Mirage, they were hit by a big gust of wind coming down the hill heading west into Indio.  The truck and trailer rolled 3 times and luckily my Pops had his belt on but when it stopped they both were beat up pretty good.  I got the call to come help them and was the first family member there.  The enclosed car hauler which housed the car, rolled only once so the car wasn't beat up too badly just some cosmetics as it was tied down really well.  The crash was a sort of catalyst that ended up with both my Dad and his friend parting ways.  My Dad left with his motor and the friend with his roller. I bought the engine from my dad and ended up throwing a 8-71 blower on it after dropping the compression (made over 1000hp with only 7lbs of boost) then we put it into my 55 chevy to drive on the street.  I thought nothing of this Bonneville car they had built until i went to SpeedWeek last year and got the bug.  I vowed that next year I would be there with a car.  Originally was going to build a 91 firebird and had even bought a builder to start on.  I had heard the friend that had the Camaro put a small block ford in it and so I got his number and asked if he wanted to sell the custom headers that they had built for the BBC.  He did and so I went over to check them out and ended up picking up the headers.  So I started gathering pieces for this firebird and then out of the blue this guy calls me and said that we wanted to know if I would like to buy the whole roller and of course I said sure as I would save lots of time and money.  I have since made some changes to the car (extra cage bracing, full containment seat, etc...) but we are working on getting it ready to go for this year's SpeedWeek.  It has been a great project for my Dad and I.  I have to admit that I got the bug really bad and know it is going to only get worse after my first driving experience.  It gets my blood pumping just thinking of it!  

We have built a max effort 498 big block chevy and are running a gf5r g-force trans.  All I want to do this year is to get my licenses and run over 200 and I would be as happy as a pig in mud.  I hope later to work towards a Red Hat but realize the time and effort it takes to get there.  I know if I set out to do that I am too competitive and will be mad if it doesn't happen and I don't need another stressor in my crazy life.  I am a huge forum guy as I have my 55 chevy gasser and a 1000rwhp twin turbo mustang and forums have helped me learn from others while building those.  This forum is AWESOME and a great source of knowledge.  Hope to see you all out on the salt or if it gets together quicker a run a El Mirage would be great to work out some gremlins before Bonneville.  

I will post this in the build section as well with some pictures and details of the car.

Thank you,

Shawn F.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 01:04:35 AM by shawnf »

Offline earthquake

• New folks
« Reply #1818 on: June 10, 2011, 04:22:59 PM »
New guy here
My name is Casey and I want to go fast with a 36hp VW motor, I am getting ready to start building a twin 36hp's powered stream liner. the car will be built to to GS/H [only one motor to start] specs at first but it will only be run in the "The 1 Club" with the VW guys. I have to talk to the tech inspectors about tires because with the VW motors it will never reach the kind of speeds GS/H records runs, I want to use Goodyear front runners which should handle any speed this car will be capable of. I live in Las Vegas, NV. Any others here from Vegas?

Casey
I would really like to go fast with a 36hp Volkswagen

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #1819 on: June 10, 2011, 04:31:17 PM »
earthquake,

I live in Vegas too.  Use to be heavy into VWs, in the early '70s.  Now I ride motorcycles. The twin 36hp V-dub engine streamliner sounds interesting.

Welcome aboard and good luck with your project.

Buzz 1513B
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"It's not about what you did.....It's about what you do!"

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1820 on: June 10, 2011, 07:58:47 PM »
Howdy, Casey.  Welcome to the Forum.  I'm the head handlebar holder, so to speak - and one of the many that contribute to the thing on a fairly regular basis.  You're invited to spend most of your available time here making observations, spouting goofy opinions and coming up with hare-brained (and sometimes thoughtful) ideas.  You'd be much like the others if you did just that.

So - I don't know if you know it, but there's a 36HP thread on this Forum.  If you want to go looking for it you'll need to go to the Forum home page, go to Bonneville Salt Flats discussion, then Bonneville General Chat, then World of Speed-specific stuff, then "36HP VW Bug Stuff".  Burly takes care of (sorta) running that part of the show.  There's an easier way to find the 36 hp topic, though - and that's to follow this link:  http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,9361.0.html

So - welcome, and have a ball.  We sure do.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline tjfenske

• New folks
« Reply #1821 on: June 10, 2011, 08:34:32 PM »
Hello, TJ Fenske here. I thought I would register so my gawking could move to a higher level :wink:
I just have to chase the studebakers. 1953 that is.
All because I sat in a studebaker as a boy

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #1822 on: June 11, 2011, 01:36:55 AM »
Welcome Shawn F & TJ to Land Speed racing, I know you will enjoy it and get Salt Fever, see you on the salt at Speed Week?? if your there, stop by in the pits and visit with us,  Dave  :cheers:
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline Mutley

• New folks
« Reply #1823 on: June 11, 2011, 05:20:22 PM »
Hi, my name is Albert and I have been lurking on this board for some time and learning a lot form some of the great builds going on.  I am starting to build my car to run in C Comp Coupe and will start a build dairy soon.

Offline Anvil*

« Reply #1824 on: June 13, 2011, 03:24:16 PM »
Welcome!
Good timing too because the new rule book is out and there's enough time to think about dropping in on an event. For myself the forum has already saved me from a number of potential mistakes and added more than a few good ideas to the pile. Just allow that the build will cost more and take longer, but as you might note people will offer encouragement to keep at it. People here really do want you to build a safe and competitive vehicle, this sport is rather special that way.  8-)

Offline abc123

• New folks
« Reply #1825 on: June 17, 2011, 12:27:24 PM »
Hi, I just discovered this site after following a link from the H.A.M.B. jalopyjournal.com site. Although I'm in my late 50s I'm not a racer or even an LSR spectator, yet. My interest is in building a model of a pre-'64 race car, probably a highly modified 1953 Studebaker Starliner.
Do the best you can with what you've got.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #1826 on: June 18, 2011, 12:07:38 AM »
  abc, For God's sake don't do it, and more importantly don't come to Speedweek!!!
   I came, just to watch, seventeen years ago, and it has cost me every damn dime I had plus a sponsorship from VISA (which was a trick, I discovered). 
  Heed this warning, if you come, you will become one of us................. :evil:
Bob Drury

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1827 on: June 18, 2011, 01:21:43 AM »
 :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #1828 on: June 18, 2011, 10:19:15 AM »
Welcome Shawnf, I am interested in pictures of the Camaro, I too will have my rookie experience at speedweek in the 2100 '73 D/CGALT. You are absolutely correct about this forum...it has saved me time, money and quite possible my a$$.  Great story by the way, it is interesting how some things are ment to happen the way they do.

Bill
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline abc123

• New folks
« Reply #1829 on: June 19, 2011, 05:18:42 PM »
  abc, For God's sake don't do it, and more importantly don't come to Speedweek!!!
   I came, just to watch, seventeen years ago, and it has cost me every Dodge dime I had plus a sponsorship from VISA (which was a trick, I discovered). 
  Heed this warning, if you come, you will become one of us................. :evil:

Thanks for the warning! Maybe I'll visit the salt after I retire in a few years, anyway.
Do the best you can with what you've got.