Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2278546 times)

Offline Yankee Peddler

• New folks
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1785 on: May 17, 2011, 12:16:18 PM »
My name is Gary Smith, grew up in SoCal, moved back east for a total of 26 years, and been involved in drag racing most of my life. However I've followed LSR racing when I was in my teens, not knowing there were actually events or "meets". I also didn't know there was such a vast array of classes and vehicles until I started following Gale Banks "back in the day". When my father ran at an SCTA sanctioned drag strip event back in '77 I had no idea that SCTA IS Bonneville!!! And because I had moved away, I didn't have much reason to get excited about this form of motorsport...that is until I started reading about the SCTA again, learning more about the cars, events, classes, etc. which re-ignited the fire that came back about 7 years ago, and has grown intensely ever since. Now that I've relocated back home in my native SoCal, and after (finally) attending El Mirage last weekend for the first time.....I AM HOOKED FOR GOOD!!!! So it's time to make adjustments to my automotive arsenal, selling a couple cars, some parts so I can begin the transition. Although I'll still run a nostalgia drag car, I think I can finally let go of NHRA racing....not enough achievable milestones there...but they seem endless on the salt & silt!!!!!! So save me a pit spot, I'm coming in to play!!!

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #1786 on: May 17, 2011, 03:07:36 PM »
 :cheers  Welcome to the wacky, wonderful world of wind, wheels, winner's and some of the BEST people on Earth,,,,The Saltaholics Numerous :cheers:!   Crow.  LFFL
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline jlmccuan

• Rabid Snail Racing
« Reply #1787 on: May 21, 2011, 02:44:33 AM »
I'm Jim McCuan.  I came out to Bonneville August 2010 with the Salt 2 Salt team and got bit.  I'll be back in the pits this year with Salt 2 Salt, but have started a Stude powered GT Hawk project that we plan to run 2013 in C/CPS.  Love the work in the build diary for the Venable car.  I hope I can get with those folks and borrow a lot of ideas.  We're definately not too proud to take any help or suggestions you pros have.
Rabid Snail Racing

Offline tstakes

• New folks
    • Sonic Wind LSRV
« Reply #1788 on: May 24, 2011, 12:42:00 AM »
Hello Land Racing Forum,

My name is Tone Stakes and have been around the land speed racing industry since I was able to walk.  Born in Illinois and moved to California by my father, Waldo Stakes, so we could be closer to El Mirage and the surplus yards where he hoped to find salvaged rockets parts to be able to achieve his dream and put together land speed cars. Spent many weekends as a kid wishing I was anywhere else except for El Mirage, but tagged along with my father as he studied how to make cars go faster from many of the racing icons on this forum. Growing up it seemed like every weekend we would either have a land speed visitor staying with us or going to visit someone involved in the land speed industry, guys like Kenny Lyons, Ron Pruett, John Petri, Jocko Johnson, Bob Truax and the list goes on and on.  I remember my father having long phone conversations with the legends of land speed racing; Art Arfons, Craig Breedlove, Rosco McGlashan, Bob and Bill Summers, etc. as he would ask them questions for hours on end learning all he could from the record holders about aerodynamics, rocketry, drag, the effects of gravity,...

I did not appreciate it then as I was still a young teenager but my father opened me to a collection of land speed racing legends, guys who not only were knowledgeable but passionate about making their dreams come true.  I realized my father was aligning himself with doers not talkers.  My father has spent the majority of his life learning about land speed success and failures.  He has used his knowledge to build what he considers is a rocket car that can achieve the absolute land speed record and even push it beyond 1000 mph.

I as well have the land speed bug and will be helping him as he attempts to achieve his goals.  My background is in marketing and I have taken on the task of helping him market his vehicle to sponsors.  I look forward to learning more on these forums from others about what has worked and what has failed in terms of raising funding for a land speed vehicle.  Any advice and/or guidance would be much appreciated.

Please feel free to check out our new website at http://sonicwindlsrv.com for the latest news and photos of the land speed rocket car designed by Waldo Stakes.

Thanks for this forum! I hope that was a sufficient introduction.

Tone  
Tone Stakes

Marketing
Sonic Wind LSRV- Race to 1000 mph!
sonicwindlsrv.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1789 on: May 24, 2011, 11:22:40 AM »
Tone, great intro actually...  :cheers:
I think the 2 best money raisers are Craig B and Richard N.  If you can duplicate their efforts in a combined manner, I think you have a chance to raise the millions it will take to make it happen.
Good luck with your project, keep us up to speed on your project  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #1790 on: May 27, 2011, 02:36:42 PM »
I'm Jim McCuan.  I came out to Bonneville August 2010 with the Salt 2 Salt team and got bit.  I'll be back in the pits this year with Salt 2 Salt, but have started a Stude powered GT Hawk project that we plan to run 2013 in C/CPS.  Love the work in the build diary for the Venable car.  I hope I can get with those folks and borrow a lot of ideas.  We're definately not too proud to take any help or suggestions you pros have.

Just email, post or PM me.. Glad to help and welcome to LSR...

Charles Venable
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1791 on: May 27, 2011, 03:02:28 PM »
Tone:  Welcome to the Forum and to the site.  We'll be looking forward to hearing your stories and tales of joy and woe as you move along the VERY long trail to getting your vehicle moving at 1kMPH.  In the meantime -- in case you haven't already found it, we do have a thread on this forum for vehicles that are working towards the Absolute land speed record.  Follow this link:  http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/board,39.0.html

Welcome.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #1792 on: May 28, 2011, 01:29:30 AM »
Jim, welcome to this forum, the folks here are very knowledgeable and friendly, I'm looking forward to pitting with you guys (Salt 2 Salt) at Speed Week in August,  Dave  :cheers:
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline t-rod

• New folks
« Reply #1793 on: May 28, 2011, 11:25:35 AM »
Hi everyone, I am Mark (aka t-rod). I've been on the HAMB for a couple years and been following/ spectating at Bonneville for a few years. My street '27 ford roadster is still under construction and I've told my wife my next project will be a Bonneville car. I will probably lurk much more than I post as I'm so new to this I may not have much to contribute. I will learn as much from you fine people as I can so when the race car happens I'll have as much fun and success as I can.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Offline Pete1

« Reply #1794 on: May 28, 2011, 05:09:11 PM »
My name is Pete.
I own a machine and cam grinding shop in Wa.
I ran at Bonneville from 52 to 56 and a buddy and I won the E roadster class in 56.
I have been back to watch many times since then.
I am a member of the FlatCad team. We will be running the coupe this year
and my roadster also next year.
My favorite saying, "Happiness is a belt fed weapon".

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #1795 on: May 28, 2011, 09:01:24 PM »
Wow, yet another FlatCad guy.  That stuff must be addictive.  Welcome, Pete, you old timer, you.  It's good to have as many folks as possible that have been around the salt more than just a few times.  I look forward to seeing and hearing your stories.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline temple2u

• New folks
  • 1979 Bonneville
« Reply #1796 on: May 29, 2011, 06:39:16 PM »
Hi There,
I'm temple2u; Bill Temple's daughter.  I've been trying to set up my account on this site, but can't seem to get a picture of my dad's roadster (a '29 T full blown with 2 land speed records, 1 in gas and 1 in fuel) ran at Bonneville 1974 to  mid 1980's . . . anyways: I'm the middle kid, my borther Greg drove to get one of the records; he inherited the 208 Gotcha roadster, when my pop passed in 1992.

My dad was a very smart man, and knew everything about going fast flat-out; he built the high-boy from the ground up - drew the frame on the floor of the garage with a yellow stick marker, then used a tubing bender by hand to form it . . . I grew up handing him wrenches in the garage - as did my brother, sister and mom making him pitchers of iced coffee throughout the years, keeping him company and listening to yards and yards of stories about drag racing in the early days, racing modifieds in San Bernardino, and keeping the '40 Ford PickUp and the '50 Olds running.

I'm on the search for pics and will post them, when and if I ever get the scoop on how to do so (I keep getting an error message - and it seems the "processing" keeps turning constantly) - but wanted to say "hi" and best wishes to all you "Go Fasters".  Watched the Indy 500 today, really hoping Hildebrande would have taken the victory - a big ouch on the last 1/4 mile on that - but a good race today, and congrats to "Well Done" Weldon.

temple2u
temple2u@yahoo.com if you have any ideas or help to get my pics posted . . . thanks.
Surprise, AZ

Here's that photo of the 208 "Gotcha" car:

"Going Too Fast" is an oxymoron.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 10:30:58 AM by Seldom Seen Slim »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #1797 on: May 29, 2011, 07:33:23 PM »
Welcome temple2u, I knew your dad and brother was in the same club(Gear Grinders) and timed many of his and Greg's runs over the years. There will be someone to help,you get the pictures of GOTCHA on this site. Your dad was one of the best story tellers around. One night I gave him a keno card and said to play it as I was getting ready to eat and the old goat won $100. and I got a beer. Great days and he is really missed, a real pioneer.
 :cheers:
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 08:26:17 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #1798 on: May 29, 2011, 08:08:52 PM »
I've sent an email to Temple2u discussing her difficulties in getting the photo posted.  We'll get it all set up - don't you folks worry too much, hey?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline temple2u

• New folks
  • 1979 Bonneville
« Reply #1799 on: May 30, 2011, 10:52:50 AM »
GotCha here, posing in the yard June 1974 - when she was #200.