Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2277792 times)

josh higgins

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1770 on: April 24, 2011, 02:44:02 PM »
Hello, my name is Josh Higgins.  My first exposure to the Bonneville salt flats was in the early 80's when my step-mother drove me and my brother there for the day from our home in Alpine, Utah.  My father was flying helicopters for the Utah Army National Guard at the time and had landed there with some VIP's from the Utah government.  I live in Washington now and have been back to Bonneville a number of times since, but I was able to attend speed week in 2008 and 2009 as a crew member on #944 XF/FL. The car was sold in 2010 so me and some friends are currently constructing a vehicle of our own for competition.  Thanks for providing this board as a resource for information exchange between me and smarter people. Happy to be here.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1771 on: April 24, 2011, 04:07:55 PM »
Howdy, Josh, and welcome to the Forum.  It sounds to me like you've already got a head-start on the entire land speed racing world, but that doesn't mean we don't want to hear from you.  Please feel free to scout out this Forum as often as you want, and post questions or comments at your will, too.

Best wishes - and we'll look forward to seeing you on the salt.
Jon a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

cleanspeed2

« Reply #1772 on: April 30, 2011, 07:55:31 PM »
Name is Steve, love all forms of motorsport with land speed racing arguably my favorite. I like ultra efficient technologies also, so given that lsr deals with aerodynamic efficiency and alternative fuel a lot, it will be a help in my quest for a practical, high mpg street vehicle.

Seeing the Buddfab 50cc streamliner do 143 mph pretty did it in for me. Then seeing the same team with 125cc's do 190+ ( I think that was the exit speed, don't quote me ) just blew me away.

I'm looking forward to learning.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 10:17:33 PM by cleanspeed2 »

a/bgc

« Reply #1773 on: May 05, 2011, 04:10:04 AM »
Taking the advice of well respected people.....i want to introduce myself....my is jorge..im from the north hollywood ca area...ive always liked going and watching things go fast...since i was a little kid...whether if i was on my roller blades as a kid screaming down the sidewalk...or going to an air show and seeing those fighter jets blow by at mach speeds...i loved it....i like all sorts of motorsports...and landspeed racing sounds perfect for me....my goal is to be in the a/bgc class and being able to participate in the near future.....for now all i'll be doing is gathering info...im in the planning stages..getting my ducks in a row...like someone told me....im near to el mirage...and i'll be there at all the events...especially during inspection....so if anyone can help me out with the rules that apply to the modified class and getting a better grasp on all the rules....it would help me out a lot....im a new to the sport but its going to be a life changing experience...and i havent even been to the salt flats.....i'll start a thread with the subject headline 05 mustang...under build diaries....with all the parts i plan on using for my build....if something is out of place or someone has a better idea please let me know.....so  :cheers:  heres to making new life long friends and enjoying the thrill of speed....in a safe manner.....

« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 05:15:38 AM by a/bgc »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1774 on: May 05, 2011, 11:02:54 PM »
....im near to el mirage...and i'll be there at all the events...especially during inspection....so if anyone can help me out with the rules that apply to the modified class and getting a better grasp on all the rules....it would help me out a lot....im a new to the sport but its going to be a life changing experience...so  :cheers:  heres to making new life long friends and enjoying the thrill of speed....in a safe manner.....

I'd bet that if you take a cooler of beer ( don't think they can be in a bottle) with you to observe the process that you won't have any issue getting questions answered  :-D  :roll:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline roadrash375

• New folks
« Reply #1775 on: May 06, 2011, 07:25:40 AM »
 Hello ......Mark Thompson, classic car(truck) enthusiast. Made my way down to Speedweek 2010 and now I'm hooked !  In the process of building a 59 Chev Apache with its original 235 to run in E/PP to be ready for 2012 . I'm sure I'm I'll have lots of questions throughout this build . Thanks for now !

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #1776 on: May 07, 2011, 01:20:22 AM »
Welcome Mark to Salt fever!! Sounds like you have a good plan for 2012, are you going to Speed Week to watch and ask questions? we are here to help you in our racing sport, take care, Dave  :cheers:
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline robinkman

• New folks
  • 1984 CAMARO Z28
    • The BEAST
« Reply #1777 on: May 15, 2011, 02:41:45 PM »
Hello everyone, my name is Robin Kurshinsky, and i am very enthusiastic in saying i am happy to be part of this forum. I have dreamed of racing a car for as long as i can remember, and still am. I went to Bonneville in 2008 on a business trip a week after speedweek and drove down the deadend road that leads out onto the salt, and just stood there in wonder, dreaming of what it would be like to make a pass down the salt. I have been trying to fund a trip out there again during speedweek to experience the races, but have never made it back, someday i will !! I currently have a 84 Camaro Z28 that my dad left to me ( THOMAS SPENCER KURSHINSKY 1938-2000 ) with a all cast iron 400 hp 383 stroker small block that i built, and i want to do land speed racing with it. I have been doing test and tune at the local dragstrip and have been able to run 12.0 @ 115 mph I think my first chance to do land speed racing may come soon, as i plan on going to Maxton and run the car in 2012. I would appreciate any info on this matter, ( ie, rules, safety requirements, ect. ) I will be making the dream a reality no matter what the cost !

" you live more at that moment, at speed, than most people do in their whole life"
robinkman

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1778 on: May 15, 2011, 03:10:05 PM »
Robin:

Welcome to the forum, and to the active life of land speed racing.  Without and hesitation I'll tell you what to do first -- get a rulebook.  Get one from SCTA, get one from ECTA.  Read each.  Read 'em again.  And again.

Then, when you ask questions about rules, requirements, etc -- you'll have some knowledge of what's being offered to you by the folks here on the Forum.

You're right in trying to go to one of the events - most any of them, for that matter, not just SpeedWeek.  At any one you'll find folks that are excited and willing to help you share the life they have embraced.  Give it a try - you'll see.  You don't need to take a race vehicle with you for that first time -- in fact, it's probably better if you don't.  Go, hang out, meet folks, ask questions, wander around.

Welcome to the Forum, Robin.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #1779 on: May 15, 2011, 03:43:13 PM »
Robin

Welcome to LSR.  If you haven't already, check out the organizations for the various LSR venues via the links on the home page of this site for details on running.

Note that currently the ECTA is still looking for a place or places to run in 2012, Maxton being unavailable after this season.  3 chances left to run there this year, June, Sept, and Oct.

Ed

Offline DeanJ

• New folks
« Reply #1780 on: May 15, 2011, 10:37:11 PM »
Hi guys and gals. My name is Dean Jonas. Some of you may know me from running at Maxton. I'm a fabricator at TM race cars. I have 1 wife(Angel) 4 cats, and I pay way too much for car and motorcycle insurance.
Alright Alright Alright

Offline bucketlist

« Reply #1781 on: May 16, 2011, 12:58:46 AM »
Built a couple of hot rods and a 4wd step van. Built and ran an open class SCCA rally car for 4 years in the early 1980's with my late wife co-driving. Don't have the reflexes for that kind of driving now, or the $. Decided the world needed one more race car anyway, a bucket list project. So I'm building a Comp Coupe for ECTA, hoping to run at Maxton before we lose that venue. Engine will probably still be mostly stock, just want to shake out the bugs there before Maxton becomes history.

Any kind of racing is a form of insanity. This sport seems especially crazy. I'll be towing half way across the continent to run the thing for a couple of minutes at a speed that the tow truck could probably beat with the car still on the trailer. But it's a project and a goal.

So far my only claim to land speed racing fame is I live about 5 miles from Hooley.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1782 on: May 16, 2011, 01:04:43 AM »
that is close enough to catch SALT FEVER way of like  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline .:jumper:.

• New folks
    • Beck's Garage
Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1783 on: May 17, 2011, 12:42:34 AM »
Hey.

My name is Rebecca Berneck out of Evanston, IL.  I run on Dan May's 1954 BMW r25/3.  I'm addicted after my initial visit to Maxton last October. I just returned from my second meet earlier today where I upped the record to 77.588!  Whoo!  Hoo!

When I'm not riding fast and straight, I commute (during the reasonable weather months) on a 75 Honda CB360T, and will be racing AHRMA this season on a 75 CB400F.

I look forward to running again in October, or sooner if Dan can twist my arm!

I dream of Bonneville in 2012.

~rebecca~

Offline Carl Fausett

• New folks
    • 928 Motorsports, LLC
« Reply #1784 on: May 17, 2011, 09:48:32 AM »
Newbie here...

I have a supercharged Porsche 928 that we have had some success with Road Racing. In 2007, we decided to do the Pikes Peak Hill Climb, and we moded the road racer to be a hill climb car and succeeded in winning a couple trophies at Pikes Peak in the Open Division in 2007 and again in 2009.

After 2009, I got the Bonneville Bug. And the idiotic idea to morph the hill climb car in to a LSR. :-)  Well, after a 14 month build, we are just about ready to give her a try, and we are registered for this years "World of Speed" event. We are putting her in B/BGMS.

We (my crew and I) were at World of Speed last Sept sans car - we came to watch and learn. Great people, very helpful and friendly. We came to understand many of the rules that we could not understand before. Good trip.

Many thanks also to Dan Wright for fielding my many, many pre-tech and regulation questions via email this last year.

The vehicle is sponsored and built by 928 Motorsports LLC at www.928motorsports.com

Carl Fausett
Team Manager, Driver