Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2277276 times)

Online Stan Back

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1740 on: April 01, 2011, 11:37:36 AM »
Glad to hear you didn't find the end of the road, so to speak.  We were worried about you.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #1741 on: April 01, 2011, 11:42:15 AM »
 :cheers:  Congratulations on the job and re-location!  I am looking forward to seeing your smileing (sic) face at Lands End again this year!  Love ya.   Crow.  LFFL
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1742 on: April 02, 2011, 12:07:03 AM »
Wow Lynda, its nice to see your keystrokes again.  It must be a big change from Seaside Oregon to Wendover Nevada.  Congratulations on your new job.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1743 on: April 04, 2011, 09:55:42 AM »
Hello Larry, Here's a link to a video about Kenz and Leslie kinda neat.
Richard

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=2903

Thanks for the great video.  We have been working on Ron to bring the 777 back to the salt for display.  One member of the 777 salt crew and their other TF and Funny Car driver Bark Goodson returned to the salt after 40 years since his last visit... and is strickened with salt fever all over again.
Bark and his son Corey are crew and driver for the MSA Lakester and the Amo Steele Streamliner. 
Looking forward to seeing everyone on the salt, this year, next year, the year after... if you visit here I'm sure you will find a way to visit there... and as many of us know that is "how it starts"  :-D
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

gt_diesel

« Reply #1744 on: April 04, 2011, 04:31:14 PM »
Hey Everyone..... New to the LSR thing, but have been a drag racer for 15 years! Looking to do a LSR race or two this year if my schedule allows!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1745 on: April 04, 2011, 07:43:26 PM »
15 years, hey?  Which would have you (if the number in the personal information avatar thingie is correct) start your drag racing career when you were a wet-behind-the-ears pup of 15, hey?  Good for you -- why wait for a driver's license?

Anyway -- no matter how long you've been enjoying going fast -- welcome to the landracing.com Forum.  It's interesting that you've arrived right after we had a big blowup between two guys about diesel trucks in land speed racing.  Maybe you somehow caught wind of the situation and found the Forum.  Whatever -- this is about the best place there is on the internet for learning about land speed racing, for meeting the builders and the racers, and for all else about the "acitivity".  Stay in touch, hang around, post your questions and be ready for a bunch of helpful answers - and probably a ration or two of hassling.  Don't worry about that -- it's pretty much standard on here.

Welcome!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline richlishtrey

• New folks
« Reply #1746 on: April 04, 2011, 08:54:42 PM »
Hello everyone.  I'm the owner of the disco (77) Nova and 66 Mustang that were at the April 2011 Maxton event. 

I've had the Nova since 1989 and have run autox, drag and now The Mile with it.  The Mustang (Muskrat) was parked by a family member many years ago.  My Dad and I got it running this past winter and wanted to blow the cobwebs out of it.

You'll see other drivers' names in my cars on the April 2011 results page.  We had a great time as rookies.  All of us appreciate the time and work put in by the volunteers.

Rich
(SIVA and the Muskrat)
Rich
(SIVA and the Muskrat)

Offline Nubbs

• New folks
« Reply #1747 on: April 04, 2011, 10:44:02 PM »
Hello,

My name is Dan but most everybody knows me as Nubbs.

I am certified Motorhead down to the parts tattooed on my body. 

I at one point in my life was a crew chief for a pro drag racing team.  Raced professionally for about 7 years.  Did a bunch of driving and even more wrenching.  Got out of drag racing cars and started playing around with street motorcycles.  My whole life I have wanted to run on the salt.  I was in process of building a motorcycle when I decided to get married instead(defiantly one of the best decisions I have every made).  Now I am not as keen on the idea of running a bike on the salt anymore. 

I know Im new but if I can start with a question I think this is the crowed to be able to answer it.

In drag racing it isn't uncommon for drivers to buy their seat.  They basically just pay a fee per race to run somebody else's car. Now that is popular in an area of racing that has a lot of sponsorship.  Does the same exist in LSR?

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #1748 on: April 04, 2011, 10:52:01 PM »
NO
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1749 on: April 04, 2011, 11:12:28 PM »
Nubbs, got all your fingers? 
While it is quite uncommon in LSR to sell rides it does happen.  The problem being the depth of the pockets required to buy rides.  I did hear of a biker that sold a 200 MPH ride for $25K,   :-o  but the rider got to keep the bike...   :roll:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #1750 on: April 04, 2011, 11:26:04 PM »
I would not call it buying a ride, its more like a partnership in a car of bike, which is common!
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #1751 on: April 05, 2011, 12:08:38 AM »
Rent-a-rides have been offered in recent history

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,5575.0.html

Don't know the outcome though!

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

gt_diesel

« Reply #1752 on: April 05, 2011, 06:19:26 AM »
15 years, hey?  Which would have you (if the number in the personal information avatar thingie is correct) start your drag racing career when you were a wet-behind-the-ears pup of 15, hey?  Good for you -- why wait for a driver's license?

Anyway -- no matter how long you've been enjoying going fast -- welcome to the landracing.com Forum.  It's interesting that you've arrived right after we had a big blowup between two guys about diesel trucks in land speed racing.  Maybe you somehow caught wind of the situation and found the Forum.  Whatever -- this is about the best place there is on the internet for learning about land speed racing, for meeting the builders and the racers, and for all else about the "acitivity".  Stay in touch, hang around, post your questions and be ready for a bunch of helpful answers - and probably a ration or two of hassling.  Don't worry about that -- it's pretty much standard on here.

Welcome!

Yep, I was the ripe old age of 15 when I started racing... I grew up on a farm, so I was allowed to get my license at 15. My dad gave me the option of drag racing or stock car racing. I was a big John Force fan, so I picked drag racing and started out with an 11 second Dodge Avenger, progressing up thru the ranks. I have run pretty much every kinda of drag car aside from Top Fuel and Fuel Funny Car...

As far as the diesel thing, I hadnt heard anything about it... I used to do a little diesel pulling truck stuff back in college, so my screen names have always been that...

When I heard about the races up in Loring, I have been keeping my ear to the ground, thinking about giving it a try... I wanted to bring my old Blown Alky doorslammer up last year, but with my work schedule and the 8 or 9 hour drive I wasnt able to make it.

I have an all new car now ( and interestingly enough, it does run on diesel fuel ) that I would like to bring up and try for an overall record... I am just now trying to see if I can make it "fit the rules"...

If I do make it up to Loring for some passes, the goal for my little Dodge Avenger is gonna be 300+....

But hey... Only time will tell!

gt_diesel

« Reply #1753 on: April 05, 2011, 09:06:28 AM »
Oh..... And here is my ride....

gt_diesel

« Reply #1754 on: April 05, 2011, 09:10:40 AM »
one more