Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2278270 times)

Offline NortonPete

• New folks
  • Atacama Desert, Chile, Feb 2009
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1680 on: February 21, 2011, 11:02:34 AM »
Thank you for the welcome SSS.

Which part of "Based on the South coast of England, near Portsmouth" didn't you understand :)
Only joking, don't punch me on the nose for my cheek when I see you on the salt!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1681 on: February 21, 2011, 11:05:57 AM »
I can understand American -- but obviously have trouble reading English.  Let's see, what excuse to offer.  Hmmm, hey -- how about "I meant to have you put your location in the personal avatar space at the left side of each post"?  Does that make it better?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline NortonPete

• New folks
  • Atacama Desert, Chile, Feb 2009
« Reply #1682 on: February 21, 2011, 11:07:09 AM »
I must have read your mind - just updated my avatar/location whilst you were typing ;)

Offline Bret

• New folks
« Reply #1683 on: February 22, 2011, 12:09:32 PM »
Hi, My name is Bret Dixon

I am from southern Oregon. I am a big fan of Land speed racing and motorcycle racing in general. I have primarily done sport bike riding including several track days at Thunder Hill

I am considering being a part of land speed racing and figured joining a forum on it to be a good start.  :cheers:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #1684 on: February 22, 2011, 01:06:49 PM »
Hello, Brett.  First of all, what part of southern Oregon?  We've got folks in the state - folks who might be close enough to give you a hand in your coffee shop as well as on this Forum.

Other than that - if you're a fan you might already have been to the salt for one of the events.  If not -- you sure oughta attend.  We'll be there waiting for you.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Bret

• New folks
« Reply #1685 on: February 22, 2011, 05:05:31 PM »
Hello, Brett.  First of all, what part of southern Oregon?  We've got folks in the state - folks who might be close enough to give you a hand in your coffee shop as well as on this Forum.

Other than that - if you're a fan you might already have been to the salt for one of the events.  If not -- you sure oughta attend.  We'll be there waiting for you.

I live in Gold Hill, (right near medford). I am 28, and work for a large scale plumbing company as a CAD drafter/Plumber (yes I am licensed).

My father is a big fan of the events at Bonneville, he has a couple classic cars. He took the hot rod down with him on the last trip. See pic:

Though we have no plans to race anything yet, there is talk about going down to watch the events this year at speed week.

I have been tossing around the idea of an affordable way to participate, but from what I am seeing land speed racing is just as expensive as any other form of racing. A rich mans sport it seems. Lots of expensive rules and regulations to try to make a deadly sport safe. I guess I don't understand it. Wish I had the money to participate. I do love to go fast.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #1686 on: February 22, 2011, 05:39:15 PM »
Yes, lsr can be expensive -- no question.  But it doesn't have to be spendy.  For instance, Willie Buchta (rest in peace, Willie) built and raced successful sidecar rigs - for less the $4,000 -- did it a couple of times if you count 2-wheelers.  You can get a bit of a taste for the salt by running in the 130 Club competition at world of Speed, where your daily driver and minimal safety equipment (seat belt, helmet, maybe a few other things) is all that's required.

Sure -- if you want to run in the full-out classes, be they on a bike or in a car -- it's easy to spend the kid's inheritance (or, in your 28-year-old case, your pension savings account) building or buying something that'll give you at least a crack at the record speed.  But it doesn't have to be.  You might be able to find a crew that needs help -- help out long and hard and maybe you'll be rewarded with an offer to drive.  It has happened, and probably more than you think it has.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Bret

• New folks
« Reply #1687 on: February 22, 2011, 06:00:04 PM »
Yes, lsr can be expensive -- no question.  But it doesn't have to be spendy.  For instance, Willie Buchta (rest in peace, Willie) built and raced successful sidecar rigs - for less the $4,000 -- did it a couple of times if you count 2-wheelers.  You can get a bit of a taste for the salt by running in the 130 Club competition at world of Speed, where your daily driver and minimal safety equipment (seat belt, helmet, maybe a few other things) is all that's required.

Sure -- if you want to run in the full-out classes, be they on a bike or in a car -- it's easy to spend the kid's inheritance (or, in your 28-year-old case, your pension savings account) building or buying something that'll give you at least a crack at the record speed.  But it doesn't have to be.  You might be able to find a crew that needs help -- help out long and hard and maybe you'll be rewarded with an offer to drive.  It has happened, and probably more than you think it has.

I looked at your personal website slim and I must say I am impressed. That icebreaker zx looks very functional for speed, it is very much what I would want to do. 

I have owned two RC-51 Honda's. My first one popped up on craigslist the other day and I couldn't help but think about turning it into a partial streamliner.

The deeper I look into that though, its just rule after rule after rule. I find that even my rather expensive perforated joe rocket racing leathers are a no no.  :? I suppose perforation creates drag anyways.

As for my personal 200mph quest, I suppose I should just buy a cheap busa. Do some mods and find a good straight stretch of road and get it over with.  :-P

As for the salt, I will have to attend speed week this year and see what it is all about.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 06:02:40 PM by Bret »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1688 on: February 22, 2011, 10:04:56 PM »
I have owned two RC-51 Honda's. My first one popped up on craigslist the other day and I couldn't help but think about turning it into a partial streamliner.

The deeper I look into that though, its just rule after rule after rule. I find that even my rather expensive perforated joe rocket racing leathers are a no no.  :? I suppose perforation creates drag anyways.

As for my personal 200mph quest, I suppose I should just buy a cheap busa. Do some mods and find a good straight stretch of road and get it over with.  :-P

As for the salt, I will have to attend speed week this year and see what it is all about.

Well it depends on where and when you are going to race...

Don't trust the speedo for your 200

never forget, talk is cheap... it takes money to buy whisky  :roll:
 :cheers:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 10:08:02 PM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1689 on: February 23, 2011, 01:32:50 AM »
Probably the least expensive way to get to 200 mph race is to run an inexpensive bike and invest the minimum into it.  It is a learner bike.  Occasionally busas and other bikes that can go 200 mph come up for sale.  These used bikes are almost always a very good deal when compared to building one.  Then it is time to dump the learner bike and to ride the rocket. 

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #1690 on: February 23, 2011, 01:59:47 AM »
Bret, welcome to Land Speed racing, my wife and I have been going to Medford, Oregon for the last 45 years to visit my father and mother who had a cattle ranch near Lake Creek, now my brother Barry owns the Desert Pump and Kennedy Fuel Co,(heating & airconditioning), we go to your local drag strip all the time, you should try and go to Bonneville for Speed Week in August or World of Speed race in September (130 & 150 MPH club event) and it also has regular 3mile and 5 mile races too. I'm sure your dad will want to go too, we will be racing at Speed Week in August, if your there stop by and see us in the pits, we race a 1963 Avanti and its car number is 1963, take care, Dave Bloomberg
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline Bret

• New folks
« Reply #1691 on: February 24, 2011, 01:31:38 PM »
Bret, welcome to Land Speed racing, my wife and I have been going to Medford, Oregon for the last 45 years to visit my father and mother who had a cattle ranch near Lake Creek, now my brother Barry owns the Desert Pump and Kennedy Fuel Co,(heating & airconditioning), we go to your local drag strip all the time, you should try and go to Bonneville for Speed Week in August or World of Speed race in September (130 & 150 MPH club event) and it also has regular 3mile and 5 mile races too. I'm sure your dad will want to go too, we will be racing at Speed Week in August, if your there stop by and see us in the pits, we race a 1963 Avanti and its car number is 1963, take care, Dave Bloomberg

I love the Lake Creek area, and I definitely know of Kennedy Fuel. My father isn't getting any younger and I need to spend more time with him, he has been bugging me about going to speed week and I am sure now that I will agree.

As for the other comments, I am fully aware of how inaccurate motorcycle speedometers are. I think I got my last RC-51 up to what it said was 175mph, I'm guessing it was more like 160mph. 

A used modified Busa really is the cheapest way to 200. If they weren't so ugly and maybe went around corners properly, I would like them more. They do make good drag/Land speed bikes though.

Anyways, glad to be here and can't wait for August to see some history in the making. ;)

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #1692 on: February 24, 2011, 07:59:57 PM »
That's what so good about landracing it's not how good it looks but how fast it goes without going around corners.

Offline ponchobilly

• New folks
« Reply #1693 on: February 24, 2011, 11:00:00 PM »
Hello all.
I'm Bil from Merrick, NY. I caught the LSR bug from a trip out to Bonneville in 2002. I drove my beloved 57 Pontiac out onto the salt and have envisioned running it ever since. I heard of the event in Loring, ME from the HAMB. I believe trying to run the 130mph class is a good way to start.

That said... any (and all) advise for a novice to run Loring this summer?
Thanx, Bil.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1694 on: February 24, 2011, 11:37:08 PM »
Bill, first rule be safe, after that go fast and have fun....
Welcome
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O