Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2277245 times)

Offline roversam

• New folks
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1665 on: February 14, 2011, 01:47:27 AM »
Hi there everyone. To start my name is Sam, i live in a little town in norther cal called Cloverdale. me and a group of freinds are realy into cars and my next project after i get done restoring my landrover series 2a is to build a car to race. my goal is to just make 200mph not to realy set a record. just a personal goal of mine. i have a 1934 chevy pickup (well whats left of it) that i want to build a roadster pickup out of, with a ls1 and twin turbos in it. I was going to build it on a frame i have here its a 1928 model aa frame i was going to cut down and z notch, does this seam to be a feasable thing to do to just get a time slip? I hope that i can fit in somewhere like the lakester class with it. but not knowing if i need to be in a cass at all for all i need to do is pass tech? hope someone can help me out with some info on this for the rule book is a bit vauge when it comes to this kinda thing.
Sam

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #1666 on: February 14, 2011, 10:22:35 AM »
Hoi!
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #1667 on: February 14, 2011, 11:11:21 AM »
A lakester and a roadster are worlds apart in design and classes. Your best bet is to make a trip to the lakes and Bonneville and study the vehicles that are running. Make you decision on what to build after the learning trip. Have fun and hope you can find a class to build to.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #1668 on: February 14, 2011, 11:13:49 AM »
You can't run Lakester classes with any automotive body parts, so that's out.  You could run Time Only with the car teched to the appropriate Street Roadster class.  Someone ran a '48 Ford roadster pickup last year, I believe.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline tater

• New folks
« Reply #1669 on: February 14, 2011, 11:26:17 PM »
Hi
 Been lurking and learning for a while, but now the salt truck is started........
I live in Idaho just 5 hrs from Wendover.
I drag race and have done sprint boats and mud racing. I want to try the salt. I have a couple rigs I want to run ,going to start out with 61 unibody Ford with a sbf.

Randy

Offline littleredtrouble

• New folks
Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1670 on: February 17, 2011, 08:55:53 PM »
Hello!

I'm brand new to LSR and made my first trip to the Salt during World of Speed in 2010 with Nick Sutton and his 1991 Eclipse "Retribution."

I'm a student at CU in Denver and am working on finishing my Business Marketing degree. One of my final projects entails creating a marketing plan, and I have chosen to do a sponsorship plan for Nick & his car.

What I'm looking for is any sort of statistical information for Speedweek regarding the number of entries, attendees, pre-event advertising, and anything else that may be tricky to find online to help me get a jump on this. I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew, but I'm looking forward to the challenge!

So... if anyone can direct me to a good source, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Jenn

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1671 on: February 17, 2011, 09:01:18 PM »
Jenn, most of us know everything there is about land speed racing, and we're always quick to tell anyone that'll sit still while we talk.  The drawback to this great store of knowledge and wisdom is the fact that each of us has DIFFERENT statistics -- whatever we can remember.

Now that that disclaimer has been stated -- I'll probably send you a PM so you can chat off-line with me.  Most likely off-line will be a good way to gather information from any of us -- so we don't run into hassles from those many versions of history.

Welcome to the Forum, and thanks for being here.  We all look forward to seeing you on the salt.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline dw230

« Reply #1672 on: February 18, 2011, 11:21:55 AM »
Jenn,

I have found that a good way to get recent history for deals like this is at the www.SCTA-BNI.org website. If you look at the intro to salt racing and results from each meet(click on Bonneville in left column). The results give the number of entries, number of runs, records set, etc.

The Bonneville 200 MPH club website has some info that should be useful, www.bonneville200mph.org.

The American Hot Rod Foundation has a board member, Jim Miller, who is very knowable about Bonneville history, www.ahrf.com. There are many on this board that can help.

Contact me if you think I may be able contribute to your plan,

Dan
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline stobl

• Photo album of build
« Reply #1673 on: February 19, 2011, 09:19:50 AM »
Hi All,

I'm just getting started in the LSR world after growing tired of the limits of 1/4 mile.  I've been converting over my 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood the past two years, and with hearing about ECTA's facility issue after this year, i'm hoping to button it up within the next couple months.  Just need to drop the motor in, run the plumbing, and it should be able to move under its own power.  Car has been in the family since new, and will be in AA/BFCC.  It has the original motor that came with the car, just heavily worked over (now 512"), with boost and e85.  No clue how fast it'll be able to run, but I'm just looking to have fun.  I'm sure i'll make it over to Bonneville whenever i get all the bugs worked out. 

Car before I "improved" it:
http://tinyurl.com/4ujx6fe

I don't have a recent full-body picture as it's still stuck in the garage on jack stands, but here's the engine bay from december while trying to get everything set up for the good engine:
http://tinyurl.com/4unlcjb

Hope to see you all out there,

Blake
-Blake S

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #1674 on: February 19, 2011, 11:44:32 AM »
Probly got a head start on ballast . . .

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #1675 on: February 19, 2011, 03:38:55 PM »
Blake, welcome to our type racing at Bonnville where we can be in WOT or 85 seconds (on 5 mile course) and really enjoy the long run till we need to pop the chute, looking forward to seeing your big Caddy on the salt, take care, Dave  :cheers:
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1676 on: February 20, 2011, 09:52:13 AM »
Blake, welcome to our type racing at Bonnville where we can be in WOT or 85 seconds (on 5 mile course) and really enjoy the long run till we need to pop the chute, looking forward to seeing your big Caddy on the salt, take care, Dave  :cheers:

AKid, WOT for 85 seconds  :? I thought your car was a lot faster than that  :-D  

Blake, welcome

See ya on the salt  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #1677 on: February 20, 2011, 11:56:16 PM »
Stainless!, so far with our old Studebaker 289 ci engine at 800hp last year we did 210 at 2 1/4 & 213 at 3 & 216mph at the 4 mile, but that's at only 6300 rpm (rev limiter) and at only 20 lbs boost, so this year we plan on ________????? Gosh in 1993 at El Mirage my car only did 125 mph, when I was hoping for 140mph  :? Dave
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline NortonPete

• New folks
  • Atacama Desert, Chile, Feb 2009
« Reply #1678 on: February 21, 2011, 09:49:35 AM »
Hi all,

I've been reading the forum on & off for the past few weeks.

Based on the South coast of England, near Portsmouth.

Is it possible to be bitten by the salt bug before you've even been there once?
I think it is because it seems to have happened to me.

I've got a couple of old Brit bikes - a wartime BSA B31 350cc in a bobber style and a 1947 Norton 500cc Model 18 that's pretty standard & which I shipped to Buenos Aires in January 2009 & spent 10 weeks in the saddle riding it through Argentina, Chile, Peru, Colombia & Venezuela following the route taken by Che Guevara in 1952 & immortalised in the book & movie 'The Motorcycle Diaries'.

I'm planning a trip to Bonneville this summer. It'll either be just to watch & learn or, if I find a 'donor' bike very soon, to watch, learn & take part!

I've got some tech questions to ask but will look for the right thread to do that rather than asking here.

Pete

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1679 on: February 21, 2011, 10:19:31 AM »
Welcome, Pete.  First of all, if you've been lurking here - you probably know that there are quite a few Brits on the Forum, so howsabout telling them/us just where in the Isles you're located?  Maybe one of your landsmen will be near enough that you'll be able to set up some more personal communications.

Second -- we normally (as much as we can be normal) we'd suggest that you visit Bville without a race vehicle for the first time - to figure out lots of the questions you'll have without having the additional stress of running, too.  But since you live quite a few hours/miles away, maybe it won't be easy for you to be here two times in a row - so if you elect to find and race a bike - then so be it.  Dob't be afraid to ask for help no matter what course you follow.  We enjoy sharing nour accumulated knowledge and wisdom (another wink of the eye goes here) and want to help you get ready for this great hobby - and event.

Come back soon, and ask away.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com