Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2278137 times)

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1650 on: January 22, 2011, 07:17:53 PM »
Thanks Bob, I owe ya one. :evil:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #1651 on: January 22, 2011, 08:24:22 PM »
Is that the Dennis Murray that makes my headers?

One in the same.....
Go figure a guy that makes sidewinders races a supercharged flathead.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline MidTNJasonF.

• New folks
  • Will ride for beer.
« Reply #1652 on: January 31, 2011, 12:48:16 PM »
Hello all, Thought I would break from lurker status and say hi. Jason from the Middle Tennessee area. I have wanted to get out to Bonneville for more than a few years. I stated drag racing on a very small scale in high school but when it started costing far to much to go fast in a straight line for a poor college student I discovered small light sporty (cheap) cars and turning corners. I went amateur road racing and time trial racing for a decade or so with 80's hot hatches and sports cars before getting bit with the two wheel bug several years ago.

I think I am going to try to get out to Maxton at least once this year and am making plans to travel out to the BUB week events in September if work and business keep plugging along ok. I would actually love to find a team to crew with rather than just spectate. That might give me some behind the scenes views of rules, regs, and the ways of LSR. The insight would certainly help as I build a bike to run in 2012 or 2013.

I had started building a vintage road race bike last year but my wife was starting a business in a crappy economy and I spent 4 months of 2010 on a company lay off so I sent the bike to the back burner while I picked up odd jobs. Now I am back to 60 hour weeks and overtime so maybe the bike can see the light of the workbench again soon. I have a couple of 70's CB350 twins, a couple 70's CB450 twins, and a couple of '96 GSF 600 Bandits I can play with so maybe one of them can become a LSR bike.

If anyone in the Middle TN area (Nashville, Rutherford County, Williamson County, ect) is fielding a bike or car at Maxton and/or BUB this year please drop me a line. I would be interested in talking about participating in some way with a crew. I have mills, lathes, and various other fun implements of metal destruction if it will help get my feet in the door on a crew.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1653 on: January 31, 2011, 02:10:17 PM »
Jason, you'd better shut up about those old Honda bikes -- or Keith Turk, one of the ECTA directors, is likely to try and buy 'em from you.  Methinks he collects that vintage.

Other than that -- welcome to the landracing.com Forum.  We hope you'll visit here often.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Anvil*

« Reply #1654 on: February 01, 2011, 12:09:49 AM »
He's not the only one.  8-)  But thinking on it, no one called them vintage back when I got them.
Still pre-build diary on what's going on with my CB350 engine, but stick around Jason and you'll see all sorts of things thrashed into something built to go faster. Even a CB350 based thingy.

Offline MidTNJasonF.

• New folks
  • Will ride for beer.
« Reply #1655 on: February 01, 2011, 09:56:47 AM »
He's not the only one.  8-)  But thinking on it, no one called them vintage back when I got them.
Still pre-build diary on what's going on with my CB350 engine, but stick around Jason and you'll see all sorts of things thrashed into something built to go faster. Even a CB350 based thingy.

Yeah the 350 twin is a surprising little bugger sometimes. They have become immensely popular in the WERA Vintage Roadrace paddock for GP350 and V1. They are not the fastest bikes in the classes but often the only bikes on the grid since they are plentiful, cheap, and solid. You will see guys that buy a $500 bike and do nothing but split the cases for a cam chain/tensioner update all the way to bikes built with many thousands of dollars just in the motor all sharing the same starting grid.

I need to get a better handle on class structure before I decide which bike to build and for what classes. I would like to keep my 350 as a GP350 road race bike and possibly build the 450 for LSR use. In my mind, not knowing all the rules for ECTA/BUB, I envision a CR450'ish replica with a fairly stock motor.

It may turn out that the 600 Bandit is the better platform for me to use for all I know though. It is more or less the same engine architecture as the air/oil cooled GSXR motors of the early 90's. I have a spare bike I am currently building up with a Busa swingarm, K6 GSXR front suspension, GSXR wheels, and some yet to be determined race body work.

Offline Anvil*

« Reply #1656 on: February 01, 2011, 05:22:05 PM »

In my mind, not knowing all the rules for ECTA/BUB,

You can start here:  http://www.speedtrialsbybub.com/2010_event/r&r10.html

the rules may be updated some for 2011. You'll want to order a SCTA rulebook and contact the ECTA. More than a few ECTA members frequent the forum and with a few questions and a bit of opinion sorting there are answers that can save you hours of potential frustration. On more complex or vague rules (and especially if you're close to bending one up a bit) contact the officials.

Other than that, have fun.  8-)

Offline roversam

• New folks
« Reply #1657 on: February 07, 2011, 12:49:43 AM »
hi there everyone, my name is Sam i live in norther cal love it here. i am starting to gather up stuff to start on a lakester kind of build its starting life as a 1934 chevy but there isnt much of it left. i am just going after a slip to run not a record i realy just want to be in the 200 mph club. so i am going to build a roaster pickup with a removable cage so it can be used on the street after. I am going to power it by a blown 4.0l land rover motor, its a copy of a buick 215. light and powerfull. well cant wait to lear as much as i can from you guys.

Sam

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1658 on: February 07, 2011, 09:50:09 AM »
Rover.. you should start by reading lots of threads on this site.  2 club entry requires that you set a record above 200 or above a minimum set by the club if there was no record above 200 when the class was established. That is why there are not thousands of members, lots of folks have gone 200, you have to go faster than anyone else (57 years worth) of folks running in that class.
Get a rule book, read it over and over, the roadster class is one of the toughest out there, they have been around a long time.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #1659 on: February 07, 2011, 10:06:18 AM »
Welcome, Sam.  Thanks, Stainless, for telling him about the Club rules.  I was gonna -- but figured someone else would bear the truthful news, not me.

As for you, Sam -- welcome to this Forum and the website in general.  We're always glad to have "new blood" on our racing scene, and happy to put up with all of your goofy questions.  You might feel like you shouldn't ask some -- 'cause they seem so basic or dumb to you -- but pleae go ahead and ask, because A:  We've all been there and are happy to help the "newbies; and B:  We enjoy having new folks to learn this super-duper passion of ours.

There you have it for Monoday morning.  4-8 inches of snow in the forecast for today.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 2budzracing

• New folks
« Reply #1660 on: February 08, 2011, 11:32:11 AM »
Bud Elmore here was intro'd to your forum by one of my fellow racers.I've built cars for the B flats but never have been there ,El Mirage was my stomping ground 25 years ago when m/x practicing we used to camp at red mountain.Currently in my older age I have downsized my speed fix to racing.....LAWNMOWERS......don't laugh unless you've been on one! 60 mph on a mower is a rush that feels like your doin 200..I started and operate the PCLMRA pacific coast l/m racing assoc. under the wings of the USLMRA ,here in Calif.And yes we have been to bonny with a mower(a REAL mower not like Englands')and Bobby Cleaveland broke his own record at 87 mph and change.
If you have any questions about mower racing or want to check it out let me know I can send you REAL video of REAL races and not the s*** you get on u-tube,this is the cheapest and I think the funnest form of motorsports I have been envolved in,and I've done most everything with tires on it.
Bud "ELMOW"     2budzracing@gmail.com  will follow your site.....

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1661 on: February 08, 2011, 01:04:39 PM »
Bud, maybe a bunch of the CA mowers can come to WoS and challenge the barstools  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #1662 on: February 08, 2011, 01:29:57 PM »
Bobby Cleveland was at the '10 Shootout and ran a 97.332 best -- and will be in the Guiness book because he also mowed grass with the rig the same day (that's part of the rules).  Sure was a hassle -- finding grass on the salt flats.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Schruiber

• Granite Falls High School Eco Car Teams
« Reply #1663 on: February 13, 2011, 01:04:45 PM »
After 6 days 7 hours + of reading daily the forum and posting some I’d like to introduce myself – I am Michael Werner, born, raised and traditionally educated finishing with an apprenticeship in machining in Switzerland. Building things has always been in our family; I learned a lot from my father. After my training I worked as an engine /race mechanic on a variety of cars with BMW and Audi engines from hill-climb to endurance racing. I myself raced locally with Renault 5, Mini Cooper and Autobianchi Abarth. It was my love for vintage aircraft restoration that brought me to this country in 1985. Working in the aviation industry and international project management then artistic and commercial wood turning led eventually to teaching Manufacturing (Industrial Arts or shop class for some of you) at a local public High School.  As part of that program I have the first all girls team ever to design, build and successfully race a diesel prototype car in the Shell Eco-marathon winning in 2010 with 470mpg. It has been covered by Freud in Treit’s streamliner thread and target550 and recently was mentioned nationally in a speech by the Secretary of Education.  Our website for the eco cars is:  http://live.gfalls.wednet.edu/ecoteam/
WOS 2008 was my first visit to the salt; it’s where it started all; now we are going to take our other car the Urban Concept car to WOS 2011. Since there is nothing on our web page about this, I shall soon post separately on this forum details and pictures about this exciting educational venue. The little picture in my profile is a 1:10 scale model of our “LSR-UC” car.  Schruiber is my native Swiss German word for mechanic, as in - you are not the driver!  
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 02:05:37 PM by Schruiber »
T-2011 - Granite Falls HS UrbanAutos Diesel - 31.16668MPH over the measured mile  at WoS 2011.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #1664 on: February 13, 2011, 01:25:54 PM »
I'll check you on "schruiber" -- since I've got a sister in St. Gallen that teaches English to Swiss German speakers.  Maybe she'll be pleased that after her 25 years there - I've finally learned one word of her adopted language.

Whatever language you use -- hey, welcome to the Forum.  Nancy and I expect to be at WoS 2011, as usual, and hope to see you there.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com