Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2277407 times)

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1620 on: January 06, 2011, 09:35:19 PM »
Ok, now Im shooting for 210mph or whatever I can get to break the record!  REally I just wanna hit 200mph!  
[/quote]
Turbo, when you run 200mph you'll just want to go 300mph :-o
Have fun Rick
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 09:37:34 PM by Richard 2 »
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline turbo325ii

• New folks
« Reply #1621 on: January 06, 2011, 10:36:38 PM »
Turbo, when you run 200mph you'll just want to go 300mph :-o
Have fun Rick

Yeah... Its addicting im sure...  :evil:

Offline jangleguy

Jangleguy's Intro
« Reply #1622 on: January 11, 2011, 07:37:05 PM »
Hi Guys. Although I'm a writer by trade now, it's not easy writing about myself, so please bear with me.

My name is Scotty Gosson (I've been using "Jangleguy" online for years and used it here out of habit). Born in 1956 in The Dalles, Oregon. Been living in southern Oregon (Medford) for the last 15 years.

Born into a poverty level family, where our "family car" was a full race flathead '47 Harley (solo seat, no fenders, open headers, no brakes!). Learned to read via older brother's car magazines. Left home at 14 to street race full time, supporting my habit with wrecking yard jobs. Finally graduated to chassis fabrication and stumbled into some jobs at high level rod/custom/race shops. I'm an "okay" fabricator, but always struggled to keep up with my peer group. When the economy got me in '08, I sold off everything and scaled my life down. I'd been freelancing feature stories to magazines and when a book deal came along, I jumped on it. Now I have a multi-book deal with Cartech and self publish some, too.

Got hooked on salt in the '70s and been to Bonneville several times as spectator, crew guy and driver. Drag racing (grassroots style) has always been my primary obsession, but LSR stuff is a close second...

I'm currently working on a book about overeas racers bringing their cars to the U.S. to run them and B-ville is a big part of that, so I'm researching here, as well as meeting prospective feature characters for the book. My hope is that I can connect with these people  without being considered a spammer.

Out of room. Thanks,
Scotty
Tyre Friars Hot Rod Gang   http://scottygossonexposed.blogspot.com/

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1623 on: January 11, 2011, 08:09:14 PM »
Scotty, here's a link to the page wherein you'll find a guide to importing cars from outside the US -- to inside, for racing.  There are lots of valid data in there, so read it - and maybe post some other questions it leaves unanswered.  As I remember, the fellas that put it together did their homework, asking other racers for input -- it's not just the issues these two might have had.

Here's the link -- go to it:    http://www.landracing.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=285
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Tman

« Reply #1624 on: January 11, 2011, 08:45:59 PM »
Welcome Scotty!

DocBeech

« Reply #1625 on: January 11, 2011, 10:33:40 PM »
I hope you have fun with it! I personally want to do the opposite of import, and get my car on the 'ring! I dream of one day running 30 laps or more on the 'ring...

Offline Mossy

• New folks
« Reply #1626 on: January 12, 2011, 09:55:34 PM »
G'day
Mossy here from Port Augusta, South Australia (the dry bit), just down the road from Lake Gairdner.
I've just started building myself a 650 Triumph T-Bird racer, loosely based on a 1950 Thunderbird, to run in M/VG class at Lake Gairdner in 2012.
Got interested in March 09 after seeing `The Vincent Racing Teams' bike, fresh from the salt, at the Pt Augusta Motorshow. Started checking out salt lake racing on the net, went and had a look at the DLRA Speed Week at Lake Gairdner last year and will be back helping out this year and racing next year.
Only previous motorsport experience has been driving in the `tour group' of Classic Adelaide Rally and some sprinting at Mallalla race track.
Below is a pic of progress so far, for more pics check out the DLRA web site forum, build diaries, 50 T-Bird.
Cheers Mossy

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1627 on: January 14, 2011, 01:39:51 AM »
The Triumph Thunderbird was the Hayabusa of its day.  It is amazing how fast people went on those bikes.  They are truly a significant LSR vehicle from a historical viewpoint.

Offline octane

• Nimbus 750 APS-VBF
Re: Jangleguy's Intro
« Reply #1628 on: January 14, 2011, 03:33:01 PM »
Welcome Scotty !

I'm currently working on a book about overeas racers bringing their cars to the U.S. to run them and B-ville is a big part of that...

....but, but, but what about the overseas racers bringing their BIKES to the U.S. to run them at Bonneville !???!

Click: My BIKE from Denmark running at Bonneville

and there's a few more here like : Oz from the U.K. running his BIKE at Bonneville

Best of luck with your book !
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection
not when there is nothing left to add
but when there is nothing left to take away"

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline octane

• Nimbus 750 APS-VBF
« Reply #1629 on: January 14, 2011, 03:41:29 PM »
G'day
Mossy here from Port Augusta, South Australia (the dry bit), just down the road from Lake Gairdner.
I've just started building myself a 650 Triumph T-Bird racer, loosely based on a 1950 Thunderbird, to run in M/VG class at Lake Gairdner in 2012.
Got interested in March 09 after seeing `The Vincent Racing Teams' bike, fresh from the salt, at the Pt Augusta Motorshow. Started checking out salt lake racing on the net, went and had a look at the DLRA Speed Week at Lake Gairdner last year and will be back helping out this year and racing next year.
Only previous motorsport experience has been driving in the `tour group' of Classic Adelaide Rally and some sprinting at Mallalla race track.
Below is a pic of progress so far, for more pics check out the DLRA web site forum, build diaries, 50 T-Bird.
Cheers Mossy

Looking good!

Welcome Mossy.
Worked on something similar but sold it to finance an Indian LSR instead :

Best of luck with your Triumph !
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection
not when there is nothing left to add
but when there is nothing left to take away"

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline jangleguy

« Reply #1630 on: January 14, 2011, 05:41:11 PM »
Scotty, here's a link to the page wherein you'll find a guide to importing cars from outside the US

Slim: Thanks for your help earler and especially for this link - just the kind of info I'm after! This place is such a treasure trove - glad I'm not just lurking anymore.

Offline jangleguy

« Reply #1631 on: January 14, 2011, 05:42:24 PM »

Offline jangleguy

Re: Jangleguy's Intro
« Reply #1632 on: January 14, 2011, 05:46:52 PM »
Welcome Scotty !

....but, but, but what about the overseas racers bringing their BIKES to the U.S. to run them at Bonneville !???!

Best of luck with your book !
[/quote]

Thanks Octane. As for the bikes - Hmmm... I'll give it some thought and run it by my editor. Cartech IS an automotive publisher, but they might go for that. I'll let you know.
Scotty

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #1633 on: January 14, 2011, 11:21:19 PM »
Welcome Scotty (Jangleguy) to LSR. I was just in Medford last Thanksgiving, my mother and brother live there too.  My brother Barry lives near Lake creek. He races at the local drag strip with his son. We all have long storys about our racing at El Mirage, Muroc and Bonneville, just let us know if you need details for your book. ha-ha   :-D My race team "Avanti Kid" has been racing a 1963 Studebaker Avanti for 18 years.  I bought the car new when I was 22 years old. (thus the name "Avanti Kid") I think you will enjoy getting the salt fever like the rest of us.
Take care and enjoy,  Dave
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline Mossy

• New folks
« Reply #1634 on: January 17, 2011, 12:10:58 AM »

The Triumph Thunderbird was the Hayabusa of its day.  It is amazing how fast people went on those bikes.  They are truly a significant LSR vehicle from a historical viewpoint.

You're right, I've found a few old Bonneville records;
28/8/58 Bill Johnson, Class C, 500cc – 133.395 mph
28/8/58 Bill Johnson, Class C, 650cc – 147.42 mph
25/8/61 Gary Richards, Class AA, Prod based, Alcohol, 650cc – 159mph

Class C was supposedly pump gasoline but I would be interested in knowing the octane rating of pump gasoline in the US in the fifties. I'm guessing it may have been more than the 98 octane we now have in Australia

Cheers Mossy