Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2278601 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1590 on: December 14, 2010, 08:05:45 PM »
Great idea for a new job in the pits.  I like that - will probably have to search for someone to join us to perform that chore.

Welcome (back) to the Forum, Trent.  Don't be a stranger now, you hear?  We look forward to another bit of input, now and then, from the Rapid City area.  Best wishes and all that, too.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline R.C.

• New folks
« Reply #1591 on: December 22, 2010, 07:43:54 PM »
Been to Bonneville over the years as a spectator decided to actually try to put a car together and run it. In 2008 with the help of Vern and Keith Tardel turned my street 32 Roadster into a Bonneville car Cannarozzi/Tardel XF/GR. With my wife as the driver my two boys and the Tardels it was a unbelievable experience. Came back and ran it again 2009. Took last year off and plan to run it again this year. Looking forward to soaking in all the experience from the people of this forum.

R.C.

Offline acolesurf

• New folks
  • P-38 Belly Tank, Chromoly Frame, '04 R1 Engine
    • SFSU Lakester
« Reply #1592 on: December 22, 2010, 09:13:06 PM »
Hi All, my name is Andrew Cole, I built a Belly Tank lakester for my senior project at San Francisco State University with 3 of my friends.  If you would like to check out the car, we have put up a website,

http://sites.google.com/site/sfsulakester/home

I am really excited to get into the race scene, I travelled to El Mirage and Bonneville for the 2010 race season several times with some other racers and race cars.  The whole experience has been really exciting and I have made many valuable relationships.  I got the chance to work for a veteran racer as well, Harold Johansson, building 4 cylinder flat heads and working on his cars.  I am a certified tig welder, as well as a machinist, and great problem solver.  

Glad to be a part of the forum, and good luck in the 2011 race season!
-Andrew
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 11:47:46 PM by acolesurf »
Mechanical Engineering
San Francisco State Engineering '10

Belly Tank Lakester built in 2 months:
http://sites.google.com/site/sfsulakester/home

Currently looking for a job in the San Francisco Area

Offline tasminracer

• New folks
« Reply #1593 on: December 24, 2010, 10:13:26 AM »
Hi all.

My name is Graham Walden and I hail from the UK.

I currently Circuit race in TVR GT cars, and have a mate who races a 1959 Austin Healy sprite  ( frogeye or Bugeye)

Over a few Beers ( isnt that always how it starts) at Spa Francorchamps in belgium whilst we were both Racing His frogeye we hatched a plan to build another Frogeye

with the aim of cracking 200mph.

The Plan is to use a Stock monocoque, standardish suspension and an A-series block, although probably supercharged. around 1200cc.

We've done the baasic calculations and it looks possible, so now the really hard work starts on how the regulations and classes and importation work and then we have to build the car.

Dom runs a restoration workshop so we know we can build it omce we've worked out what we need to build.

So expect a lot of questions from me in the next year as we're aiming to run a car in 2012.

We're complicating things even further by both driving the car...

if anyone has any advise, experience and suggestions Im all ears

Cheers

Graham

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #1594 on: December 24, 2010, 10:58:24 AM »
Hey, everyone -- keep your nheads down and watch out -- there's another Brit on this Forum.  And as for you, Andrew -- and for Graham as well -- thanks for joining up and becoming part of the biggest and best (if I do say so myself) discussion site about racing.  We look forward to seeing build diaries from each of you, and to hearing you ask questions and offer answers based on your individual experiences.

And - Happy Holidays, too.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline BoredAndStroked

« Reply #1595 on: December 24, 2010, 11:23:43 AM »
Hi:  I'm Dale Hays from Columbus, Ohio.   
First of all THANKS for the site and thanks to all who participate and make it what it is!

Moved to Ohio about 12 years ago from So-Cal.   Have been into hotrods and high performance cars/engines since I was a young teenager.   I have a 1934 Ford coupe that I'm working on (blown Hemi) . . . a labor of love, time and money!

I've been interested in LSR and Bonneville for many years . . . though have never actually built a car or been part of a team.   I used to go out to El Mirage (30 years ago) and watch Ferguson and others run their flathead cars. 

Recently a group of guys from the HAMB site have come together to build a car and have some fun.   If we go fast and set a record, that would be a huge bonus - but we're being realistic in that this first year is all about designing a good quality car,  making some horsepower, getting some drivers certified and then we'll see what happens.   We're working very hard to make August Speed Week - wish us luck!

The car/team is called 'FlatCad Racing'.   The owner of the car 'Buddy Walker' has managed to scrounge together a cast of stray dogs and cats to put this dream into motion.   We're from all over the USA - with a wide range of skills, ages, experience . . . all very motivated to make it happen.

Anyway, I've been into racing flathead Fords for many years - BUT here, we're building a Flathead Cadillac V8 - 1940 or so . . . blown, injected on gas for BVille.  The car is a 1938 Chevy Coupe -- being setup for strictly BVille racing.   We have a wide range of experience on the team --we'll need all of it and then some to get the car onto the salt.

Wish us luck gang . . . and come see us and our motley crew next August . . . no matter what, we'll be having some fun!
Member of FlatCad Racing Team - 2011, 2012
Goal:  Have fun, make friends, be safe - learn as much as possible, contribute when I can and hopefully get in the books!

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #1596 on: December 24, 2010, 11:47:13 AM »
Welcome Dale! Good to see you here!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #1597 on: December 24, 2010, 11:59:26 AM »
Howdy, Dale.  I used to live in Col's -- Upper Arlington to be exact.  That, though, was in the early 60s.  I know things have changed. . .

As for building youyr car for Bonneville, I heartily encourage you folks to attend Speedweek (or at least one of the Bville events) as spectators - before you go to race.  Some folks race their first time -- but many who went just to watch thank us afterwards for the advice.  There is so much to see and so many folks to meet -- and so much information to gather for your build -- that the additional "burden" of having a new car there will actually detract from the experience.

Whatever you choose --best wishes, and may your new year be full of fulfilled dreams and lots of fun.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1598 on: December 24, 2010, 12:27:53 PM »
. . . we hatched a plan to build another Frogeye with the aim of cracking 200mph.

The Plan is to use a Stock monocoque, standardish suspension and an A-series block, although probably supercharged. around 1200cc.

Graham

That would be one screaming A-Block, but as you're on the other side of the pond, have you considered the K-Block?  Tempermental to build, but you've got 5 Mains, DOHC and much better breathing heads right out of the box, they're plentiful, and there are plenty of performance parts available.

Have you decided which class you want to run?

Cheers, and welcome aboard!  :cheers:

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline dandoc

• New folks
« Reply #1599 on: December 24, 2010, 03:05:23 PM »
Hello All
Dan Daughenbaugh here from philadelphia pa
Im building my bsa lsr bike right now and planing on taking it to lorin in july

Offline debgeo

« Reply #1600 on: December 24, 2010, 05:10:28 PM »
Welcome aboard. Between the humor and technology this is a great place to visit. You get to laugh and learn at the same time. Good luck on your build. How about some pictures maybe even a build site. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

George
George---Sidecar in progress

Offline MattStrube

• New folks
« Reply #1601 on: December 31, 2010, 06:13:14 PM »
New to Landracing.com and thought I'd introduce myself.  My brother and his pals built a pretty killer V4F/GMR and I've now been severely bit by the Bonneville Bug. I'm interested in building a car in the near future to just do 200mph, hopefully on a budget; that's all I know for now.   :-D  Stay tuned...

I currently have an old hotrod 28 Ford Roadster, and a semi-stock 39 Ford which is likely going to represent my funding for my project. 

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #1602 on: December 31, 2010, 06:21:43 PM »
Hi, Matt.  Welcome.  I've gotta ask since you didn't say -- but I presume you're from Austin, Minnesota, right?  Nice town -- 'specially if you like Spam.

Enjoy the Forum and stay in touch.  Happy New Year, too.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline MattStrube

• New folks
« Reply #1603 on: December 31, 2010, 06:23:31 PM »
Thanks Slim, nope, Austin TX.   :-)

Hi, Matt.  Welcome.  I've gotta ask since you didn't say -- but I presume you're from Austin, Minnesota, right?  Nice town -- 'specially if you like Spam.

Enjoy the Forum and stay in touch.  Happy New Year, too.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #1604 on: December 31, 2010, 06:26:36 PM »
Welcome Matt, always good to have another Texan on here. Have You been to the Texas Mile.

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing