Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2278214 times)

Offline metalracing

• New folks
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1575 on: November 22, 2010, 11:12:02 AM »
Hi my name is doug umm i have an addiction to the salt tried it once and now i just can't shake it.....

2010 was my first year out during speed week I was invited out with the acme speed shop (the big blue bus). Had a blast and now im getting my Suzuki tl1000r prepped for the track. You can see the progress along the way on my web site www.metalracing.com That is when i decide it's time to quit doing research and do some updating on it.

Offline Bar Italia Classics

• New folks
« Reply #1576 on: November 23, 2010, 02:48:41 PM »
Hello everyone,

My name is Kristian Storli and I, along with business partner Kara Snow, run Bar Italia Classics, an all vintage scooter restoration, repair and parts shop in Van Nuys, CA.

We recently entered our 1957 Vespa VB1 150 with 210cc custom motor in last Sunday's motorscooter landspeed trials and surprisingly took first place in the 250cc class.  We had a great time and hope to be involved in more scooter (and maybe non-scooter) speed trials in the future.

This is a fantastic forum and I'm really glad something like this exists.  Keep up the good work.

Here is a pic of our racer:

Bar Italia Classics
14837 Bessemer Street
Van Nuys, CA 91411
www.baritaliaclassics.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #1577 on: November 25, 2010, 11:43:43 AM »
Welcome aboard Doug and Kristian! Good to have you.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline dadsolds

• New folks
« Reply #1578 on: November 26, 2010, 05:07:06 PM »
Hello,
I'm Bruce Bricker, part time mechanic and engineer. I've followed motorsports since the early 60's with special attention to roadracing.
This last year I became involved with my daughter's record setting program at the 2010 BUB. I also ran my own bike in RWB. I hope to attend in 2011 with a record attempt of my own. LSR racing is perhaps the best venue for someone of my ability and finances to be a real competitor.
It's really encouraging to read the accounts of the other forum members and I find the build diaries especially helpful.
Bruce
Brain says no, right hand says go
1979 UJM 750

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1579 on: November 26, 2010, 07:43:56 PM »
Howdy, Bruce.  Welcome to the Forum.  And you're a brave man, admitting that you had a great time helping and watching your daughter, thereby exposing yourself to the affliction.  Now that you've got it -- well, it is usually a life-long thing, so settle in, read the Forum, follow the conversations, and think about going to Portland (OR) this coming February to attend the NW Reunion.  It's a gathering of racers that's put on by Freud - a get-together in the middle of the off season for a bunch of bench racing, renewing of friendships, a banquet, a tour of a hot rod shop of something along those lines, and, best of all -- lots of lies about how fast we used to be, or how fast we would have gone if the #$@^&*!! hadn't broken as I shifted into third gear (or some such story).

If you're in Oregon -- it isn't all that far to get to the salt more than just once a year, for Bub's.  We'll look forward to seeing you there in person soon.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline ChuckS

• New folks
« Reply #1580 on: November 29, 2010, 02:23:28 PM »
Hello all
 Chuck here, and I want to come play.  :-D 
 I've been roadracing vintage Triumphs for a few years, and I want to come run at Maxton next year.  So I'm building / adapting one of my roadracers for the purpose.  Lots of questions to follow soon. 
Cheers
Chuck Skarsaune
BG, KY

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #1581 on: November 29, 2010, 03:12:55 PM »
So, Chuck -- you've committed the grave error that lots of new folks (to this Forum, at least) do -- and that's not telling us just where you live.  You give a hint by saying you'd like to run at Maxton next year.  Tell us -- unless privacy and hackers are a worry -- so that we might find one of us (or more) that are near enough to you to share lies and help over a cup of coffee.

Whatever -- welcome to the Forum.  The more you put in the information in your personal file -- the more we can know you.  If you've lurked at all you probably have noticed that many/most of us know one another in person.  Join the fun.  If you go to Maxton -- look up Nancy and me, and Charles, and racerX, and so on.  We'd like to meet you, too.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline ChuckS

• New folks
« Reply #1582 on: November 30, 2010, 01:34:32 PM »
Yep, missed filling out the info in the profile.  Should be fixed now.

Been to Maxton as a spectator, oh, ten years ago.  Got a minor burr under my saddle to build a bike for it now.

Definitely noticed the camaraderie (sp?) here - similar to that in the vintage M/C roadracing paddock - which is one of my favorite things about racing.

Thanks for having me, looking forward to going fast with y'all. :cheers:
Chuck Skarsaune
BG, KY

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #1583 on: November 30, 2010, 05:51:27 PM »
Ah, that's better.  Now we know what to look for when you show up.  So -- plan to go to the first ECTA event in 2011, which will be about the first weekend of April.  That's the event when we have the annual awards banquet as well as racing -- so you'll get to meet a big batch of us racers without them being all busy racing and thrashing because the race vehicle is broken at that moment.

So -- tell us about the vintage Trumpet you'll think about building.  We've seen a few of them at Maxton -- and some out at Bonneville, too.  Vintage engine -- but will you run in vintage classes - or just take an older bike and build it for racing using the non-vintage classes?  While you're putting it together -- make sure you've got a rulebook.  Read it about 17 times, and then you'll be sort of familiar with it -- familiar enough that when you're stumped and ask here for some help -- you'll be able to find the referenced section or page or paragraph that are given.  But no matter what - get a rulebook.  The ECTA rulebook is very similar to the SCTA (Bonneville and El Mirage) book -- but there ARE differences, so maybe get both.  The 2011 SCTA rulebook will be available in January 2011, it's expected.  I'm not sure when the 2011 ECTA book will be available.  Get the ECTA 2010 book as a good start.

WELCOME.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline bbanks12

• New folks
« Reply #1584 on: December 07, 2010, 11:00:59 PM »
Hey, my name is Ben Banks.  I am an avid traditional car enthusiast, a shop manager for a custom bike shop, and a recent college grad.  I live in south Georgia, and racing at the salt came up one evening when some of us were trying to find something good to do with my 4 cylinder out of my model a.  We have an established team and are going to try to have a car for 2011's speed week.  I am here because I keep coming back for information when I cant find it in the rule book, and figured I might as well jump on board. 

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1585 on: December 08, 2010, 12:33:36 AM »
Hi Ben. Welcome and I hope we can be of assistance along the way. :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #1586 on: December 08, 2010, 07:50:20 PM »
Ben, you are not that far from Maxton NC... we run 5 times a year... plan on coming to see a few events and when ready come race with us.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline t_mar

• New folks
« Reply #1587 on: December 10, 2010, 08:36:28 AM »
Hi Everybody

Great looking forum with plenty of interesting topics. Basically i am building a replica of Burt Munros Indian to take to the salt flats. will get some pics up soon. Ive spoken to Ellen Wilkinson and she has adviced me to speak to John O'Bien. If John could PM me an email address  or contact detials that would be brilliant.

Offline Anvil*

« Reply #1588 on: December 10, 2010, 05:30:20 PM »
"a replica of Burt Munros Indian to take to the salt"    snips

Hi,

You'll want a rule book to study before you get going too far. Safety rules have changed over time and streamliners have gotten fast enough they want you fully inside where it's a little safer. The partally streamlined bikes they want the rider visible so the rider is more likely to go walkies without the bike. Laying on your bike in a swim cap and speedo is also right out.  8-)

Anyway, post, read both the rulebook and here, ask questions, and figure out what suits you to meet the rules and to have fun.

Offline Tman

« Reply #1589 on: December 14, 2010, 03:35:33 PM »
Trent Knight here. I suppose I should do an intro since I just signed up (in 05!). Some of you have met me in person or know me from the RRT and HAMB. I met Joe Amo a few years back  when I was working at a rodshop and he was preparing for the salt in 02. I think life has calmed down enough I can finally get back out to the salt. There are a couple teams that have said I can be the head sweat ringer outer for their driving suits and get a chance to learn a bit. Trying to make plans for 2011, time to put fun before the dayjob!