Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2276735 times)

Offline BurtonBrown

• Victory Motorsports
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1545 on: October 23, 2010, 05:23:19 PM »
Hello I am Douglas "Burton" Brown. Victory Motorsports owner, builder, driver (and foolish money spender).

It is my Dads fault I have salt fever now. Just wanted to make that clear up front.

I grew up in Northwestern Ontario (Nestor Falls if anyone knows where that is) and now live in Dale, Wisconsin. My Dad (Donald) grew up listening to Bonneville when Edelbrock and others were starting to set landspeed records. He attended a few events in the 80's-90's before we started to build a car. A lot has changed even since we first built a car in 1997.

I started racing 25 or so years ago running figure 8, then street stocks, Late Models, Sportsman, Enduro, Late Models, IMCA mods then landspeed racing in that order. We have a track championship with the Late Model cars in 2001 at Golden Sands Speedway near Wisconsin Rapids and continue to run at State Park Speedway in Wausau WI where we finished 6th in points this year.

Land Speed racing was good to us this year. We set 4 records at ECTA in June and then at the World of Speed in September, we broke the 25 year old F/GT record we had been working on for over 10 years. We now have our sights on trying to set F/GT records at other venues if possible. We will probably build an "E" engine and try to get some records with that swap in the GT car we run. It is a 1972 Datsun 240Z. Now of course we want to go 200mph. Why not?

I used to help a guy run a Champ Sled (snowmobile oval racing on ice) where I have determined it is probably the most dangerous form of racing I have ever been involved with. If you don't have anything to do the second week in January join us at Eagle River WI (usually -20 below, dress warm!) for some really fast guys on sleds.

We would really like to run at El Mirage but it is not as easy as just showing up for an event. Still trying though. We will probably look at other events and see where else there is to run in North America.

I do have to say to all of our Enlisted Men/Women and Veterans.....
THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO AND HAVE DONE! You are sponsors to all of us who race/watch/pray. Period.

I work building custom machines for producing MeltBlown fabrics. It is in something you touch or use everyday but might not know it. I have worked in the Auto Industry pretty much the rest of my 47 years in some form or fashion. Worked as a Body Man, Mechanic, Automotive machine shop. Have pretty much been a gear head all of my life.

Now that I think about it, when I was 13-14 years old I was running a home built go-kart with an 18hp one lung Ski-doo engine up and down the paved airport (active) runway in Nestor Falls........Each 55mph pass would require looking to the sky's to see if someone wanted to land....maybe its not Dads fault I have Salt Fever....

Burton
"Live every day like its your last....some day it will be"

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #1546 on: October 25, 2010, 12:19:17 AM »
Hey all! Got home from the 2010 BONNEVILLE WORLD FINALS and now I am a changed man! The Bonneville Bombshell was a great inspiration and now, I'm trying to build a car to run in the BGCC/XXO class. Going to the salt flats was on my bucket list and now running there has been added to that list. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Looking forward to meeting some great people!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline DanBadger

« Reply #1547 on: October 25, 2010, 10:22:39 PM »
Hello all-
I have been playing with the idea of building a LSR car for a few years now, and finally decided to bite the bullet.  So far, the pile consists of an LQ9 long block, an 88mm Garrett T6, and a few other bits and pieces.
I do antique airplane restoration for a couple private collectors, and do restoration and maintenance for America's Packard Museum in Dayton, OH.  Last year I helped a good friend put together a turbo'ed Hayabusa to do LSR stuff with, and took it to the Texas Mile, with a best pass of 200.917 before popping a piston.

My Volvo- '84 242 with a Ford 5.0, T5, shot of nitrous, etc.

Build thread here: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=182336

At "Work":

That would be Jesse Vincent's 1928 Packard Speedster, a one-off built by their prototype shop.

The Hayabusa we put together, a few nights before Texas:

At Texas:

I'm looking to lurk around and pick up what I can, and hopefully not ask too may stupid questions!

Offline Brian Thomas

• New folks
« Reply #1548 on: October 26, 2010, 10:14:41 PM »
Hello all, I have been lurking for sevral years and finally decided to join, As seen by my screen name you all know my name now, figured people should know my name and not a screen name. I work for Tim McNees here in Salt Lake, Many might know Tim from his work on many stream liner chassis builds. He is a member here so I am I. We plan to build two cars this winter for the salt. Many of you who are on the HAMB know me as Hot Rod Packard. Nice to meet you all and hope to get to know many of you much better.
Brian.

Here Is my roadster,

« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 10:26:35 PM by Brian Thomas »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #1549 on: October 26, 2010, 10:29:53 PM »
Welcome aboard, I am in St. George and on the Vesco crew as well as timing for SCTA. It's a great site as you know by lurking. Feel free to join in and get on the chat line for even more fun.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #1550 on: October 26, 2010, 10:36:26 PM »
 :-DWelcome Brian!  I talked with you shortly at the Salt Flats,,,Love your rod!     Crow.
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline Brian Thomas

• New folks
« Reply #1551 on: October 26, 2010, 11:43:03 PM »
Glen, I built the rear wheels for vescos car and he ran them at the fianls but i have not heard how it went. I also moon light as an inspector at the world of speed. Just need to figure out how to navigate this place. Hell the old man figured it out so it cant be that bad..

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1552 on: October 27, 2010, 12:44:59 AM »
Hi Brian:

I talked to you for quite a while outside the Subway shop at 2006 Speed Week. It's been fun to watch the progress on the details on the car since then. Still a really nice job. Unless people look really close they won't realize what a fine piece that is. I'm sure anything you build for the Salt will be just as nice. We look forward to watching your build on the forum. Good Luck! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline Tim McNees

• New folks
« Reply #1553 on: October 28, 2010, 07:18:43 PM »
I too have watched this forum for a while.  My name is Tim McNees, I operate a fab, race shop in Salt Lake City.   I have been a racer most of my life, starting with go karts in the 60's, motorcyles in the 70's and Sprints, Supermod, Modified Circle Track cars from 1978-thru 1995.  I have always had to work and build my own stuff.  I started my fab shop in 1992 and have worked  on and repaired many Bonneville cars since.  The name of my shop is McNees Enterprises, Racers Hardware and Hot Rod Supply.   Brian Thomas, who introduced himself above, is my only employee.  We are in the planning stage of building two roadsters this year.  One is for Hugh Coltharp, the other a rear engine modified roadster will be for Brian and Myself.   My shop has built 2 chassis for the Nish Motorports team, one of which was sold to the Ferguson Bunch.  I also  built the frame in the new Varni Liner.   I will keep watching this forum to learn  and get new ideas.  Hope to meet some of you at Bonneville next year.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #1554 on: October 28, 2010, 07:30:21 PM »
Tim, welcome to the site. I know your back ground and have talked to you in the past. I think your input will be an asset to the racers on this site. As a chassis builder you can answer a lot of the new builders questions. Looking forward to seeing you again.
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1555 on: October 28, 2010, 08:30:29 PM »
Hey, Tim -- welcome to the landracing.com Forum.  I'm Seldom Seen Slim, also known as the guy that owns this site and tries to keep it as informative and entertaining as possible.  As Glen said, it's great to have yet another person that's really-well familiar with land speed racing as a member and, we hope, a regular contributor -- so feel free to read, comment, and start your own topics.  And, umn, uhh, I hope you've got a sorta thick skin.  Once in a while one or two of the Yay-hoos that inhabit the Forum can get a bit squeaky when your opinion doesn't quite match theirs.  Ah, what the heck -- it's all for the better of land speed racing, right?

Thanks again for introducing yourself and getting on the Forum.  Best wishes for a Happy Halloween, too.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline BIGREDTODD

• New folks
« Reply #1556 on: November 02, 2010, 02:57:01 PM »
Hey guys, I'm a total newbie to LSR but have been into any old steel with wheels as long as I can remember. I've spent a lot of time over on the HAMB, and Y-Blocks Forever, also as "BIGREDTODD"

I'm gonna be asking a lot of questions, as my friend Tim McMaster and I are in the midst of a new E/PP build (with a jump to C/PP planned). I promise I'll do my best to search for the answer before asking common questions :?

I have some background in chassis/body fabrication, but sanctioned competition and the guidelines are new territory for me. As I said, I'm a newb to LSR other than at El Mirage as a crew guy for the Burns Brothers' "Flying Yellow Brick #981 E/PP.

I really like late 50's - early 60's GM products, but you'd never know that to look at my garage, though my '60 F-100 is Caddy-powered. Anyway, look forward to spending some time here, and maybe putting some progress pictures up from time to time.

Todd
Riverbank, CA

Universal = It will fit anything else

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1557 on: November 02, 2010, 03:54:30 PM »
Yo, BRTodd, and welcome to the landracing.com Forum.  If you've been lurking about you've no doubt got a fair idea of what we do and how we do it.  You'll find that the answers to most any questions you'll have can be got here, as well as a good ration of s*** when you get too foolish.  Bear with the yay-hoos on the site -- most all have lots of experience  in land speed racing.

A for your garage, yeah -- I was going to comment that for a GM guy you seem to have the "other" compan pretty well represented.

Once again -- welcome to the site.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Bozi

• New folks
« Reply #1558 on: November 03, 2010, 03:35:13 AM »
Hi, I build Brit bikes mostly, some others here & there & Ive become interested in the speed thing since I realized there was a place on the east coast to learn.

I will be asking ridiculous questions Im sure, as I will be building a mellow jet bike, & its hard to find out about running them from the net without asking questions.

Bare with me. Im fun.

Jeff
www.SaintMotorBikes.com
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 03:37:07 AM by Bozi »

Offline italianrun

• New folks
« Reply #1559 on: November 04, 2010, 04:36:34 PM »
Hi to everyone...
I am an italian guy...with the passion of the speed....in italy bonneville is snobbed ...but i am not about the same idea!