Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2276913 times)

Offline 55chevr

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1500 on: September 15, 2010, 07:13:58 PM »
Fabrication skills are invaluable ... you will enjoy yourself ...

Offline Rootz

• New folks
« Reply #1501 on: September 17, 2010, 07:30:07 PM »
Hello from England.
The racing Batten Special is my passion - had him for 36 years - speed hill climbs and sprints and great fun on the road. 1932 Ford chassis, hot flathead V8 with three 48s, Cad LaSalle transmission, banjo rear end.
I lived in SoCal for a few years and knew an old lakester called Tom Hutchinson in Baldwin Park/La Puente, east of LA, but I think he's passed on. Tom regaled me with tales of racing his flatties on the Salt. It's time I did that myself before it's too late.
Happy to be here and hope to contribute a little and learn a lot.
Onwards and upwards,
Biggles.

What-ho Biggles!

This you..??

Guess this was back in the day when you had a rounded head like the rest of us. What happened, rolled at speed? :-)

Oh! In case anyone was wondering what happened with my speed record attempt, I hit a pile of bricks at around 80. Plenty of power left and I know what was wrong so not so much "back to the drawing board" as "time for a re-build". Anyone care to see a video?..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2p3IYbNms0

Toodle-pip,

Rootz
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 07:31:58 PM by Rootz »

Offline jjump59

• New folks
« Reply #1502 on: September 22, 2010, 12:42:29 AM »
I'm Jeff from AZ.  Never been but has been on both my dads and my bucket list.  so next year we are going.  Been racing dirt late models for 17 years, drag raced before that, plenty of tools and fab exp, so were going to build a car for speedweek at bonniville.  came here for some tips and knowledge from everyone.   

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #1503 on: September 22, 2010, 11:16:01 AM »
 :cheers:  Welcome!   From Mammoth, Az.  See you on the Salt next year!      Crow.
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline fordfan289

• New folks
« Reply #1504 on: September 24, 2010, 03:15:36 PM »
Hello I have never been to the salt yet. But I am very interested in it. I am hoping to learn alot from the people on here. I learned of this site from the hamb.                                                                                                                                                        thank tony

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #1505 on: September 24, 2010, 03:44:17 PM »
Glad to see more Ford guys, welcome.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #1506 on: September 24, 2010, 04:08:53 PM »
 :cheers: Welcome, from another HAMB, in Mammoth, Az.      Crow.

Offline fordfan289

• New folks
« Reply #1507 on: September 24, 2010, 04:14:20 PM »
You are one of my hamb heros your tank is so cool had to swipe on of your pics for my inspirational screensaver. Now just need a car of my own to start working on for lsr.

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #1508 on: September 24, 2010, 04:47:11 PM »
 :-D  fordfan,,,,,The tank belongs to Bobby Green and Lucky Burton of The Old Crow Speed Shop, I am just Grandpa Crow but we all thank you for the compliments!    Keep in touch thru the HAMB, and check out the damage we did to the Old Crow at Bonneville this year> (bummer)  But the boys will be back soon with a flourish!   Thanks again for the compliments!       Gpa Crow.

Offline BALS aSALT

• Go Fast Be Safe...oh, and hold my Redbull
« Reply #1509 on: October 01, 2010, 08:50:28 PM »
ok ,well my name is jeff and i am a saltaholic. there, i said it. i still don't feel any more normal. is that normal? anyway, i went to speedweek for the first time this past aug. i went with 3 other guys. while they all had a good time, they did'nt get bit like me. i WAS a dragracer, a nascar fan, hell just about all motorsports. i do some vintage racing with several old cars. been sprintcar racing with the world of outlaws. autocrossed. 8 time national champion crewchief on 80cc shifter kart. launched F-14s off a flight deck. i've seen and done some pretty cool Subaru in my life. but nothing, nothing comes even close to how cool bonneville is. period. hands down. did i say period?. i am going to the world finals. could'nt find anyone to go with me. soooooooo...............................i'm making the trip solo. if any of you go, you see me. i'll be the guy taking a ton of pictures and asking a ton of questions. you see now i have to turn my ex-dragrace car into a salt car. i'll be building for AA/CBGC. look for a white with black stripes 1970 SS454 chevelle. i know .i know. 454 cu.in. is A class. i'll be a bit bigger. anyway born and raised in redwood city calif. now live across the bay in fremont. look it up sometime.  heavy equipment mechanic by day and AC cobra builder by night. i also have a cobra but guess what. i'm selling it so i can buy my AA engine. well, thats all you guys get for now. i'm sure i'll be a regular here now that i've admitted to my saltaholicism. and then you'll be seeing me at all the salt events. plus my posts and you'll get to know me. i only hope you don't get tired of my questions.
thanks and till next time,
(you've heard "peace out"?) well like BALS aSALT.........................BALS OUT.

P.S.  bals is short for balsamo.....................................my last name :-D
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Offline Blown Income

• New folks
« Reply #1510 on: October 03, 2010, 08:27:12 PM »
Hi, Newbie here. Did my first land speed event this year at world of speed on my 56' BSA A10. It was fun and had a great time.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1511 on: October 03, 2010, 08:37:40 PM »
BI, where are you?  I remember seeing a few BSA's at WoS -- but didn't talk to the riders.  Let us know some information so we can better figure out what's got into your mind to make you want to race on the salt.  And -- welcome to the landracing.com Forum.

And welcome to BALS aSalt, too.

Hey, BI -- take a look at BaS's intro -- that's a great one, tells us lots about him.  Yoiu don't need to copy his style exactly, but what the heck -- the more we know, the more we can welcome you.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #1512 on: October 04, 2010, 05:59:05 PM »
Hi I've been looking at your Web site for a couple of months now and want to congratulate Jon on his great site!!  My name is Dave Bloomberg known as the "Avanti Kid". A little info on myself, Born at Glendale, California 1939, yep I'm 71 yrs old! Graduated from Bakersfield High School in 1957 and spent a lot of time as a spectator at Smokers drag strip near Bakersfield.  Went into the USAF 1957 to 1961 (electronics repairman), then went to work for Lockheed aircraft 1961 to 2005 when I retired after 43 years working in Avionics and Ground Support engineering, worked for 25 years in Skunk Works (A-12 & F-117 aircrafts), enjoying retirement now with my wife Barbara of 43 years.  I was introduced to land speed racing in 1992 with a friend of mine at Lockheed, named Verlin Marshall who told me to take my supercharged Avanti to El Mirage to see how fast it would go on the 1.3 mile dirt course.  I was very sure that I could do around 140 mph with no problem, but to my surprise I only did 125mph!  From that point on I saw this as a big challenge to make my 1963 Avanti go faster, so being a fiberglass car the race officials said I needed to install a full roll cage to continue racing.  So a roll cage was installed then major modifications to my engine started and continued over the last 17 years of racing at Muroc, El Mirage, & Bonneville. I had about 300hp at first and now have about 800hp with my modified Studebaker 289 ci engine, my car holds the D/CPS records for Muroc, El Mirage & Bonneville.  When not racing I help SCTA as a race official to do the timing on one of the 3 courses at Bonneville for Speed Week or WF, I'm also on the Coupe/Sedan committee for rules changes.  I proposed to the SCTA board to establish a new racing class for the muscle cars of yesterday called "Classic" for cars from 1928 to 1981. Recently I proposed to the SCTA board a 300 mph lane for Bonneville Speed Week.  I really enjoy doing the timing with Frank Scott and his staff.  The folks in Land Speed racing a a very special breed of racers, as you know they will give you the shirt off their back or loan you tools, parts etc to help you race in this sport.  I can't thank enough the SCTA race officials and volunteers who put these races on for us!  I recently raced my car at "World of Speed" this September and really enjoyed the race that the Utah Salt Flats Racing Association put on. We did our fastest time ever with our single turbo Studebaker engine (800hp) with a speed of 215.6 mph.  We can't wait to return to the salt again next year.  For our present plans, we hope to race at El Mirage this November 13th & 14th. I'm looking forward to getting to know more of you folks on this great web site, thanks for your support in the racing sport we all love.  Take care,  Dave Bloomberg
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #1513 on: October 04, 2010, 06:22:49 PM »
Oops!! I forgot to say that in 2006 after 12 years of trying I got into the Bonneville 200 mph Club in my brother's, Al's 1971 Pantera.  I raced my 1963 Avanti that year at Speed Week but broke the Studebaker engine's crank shaft at 185 mph, which ended my racing, but my brother Al (the Pantera Kid) let me drive his car for a 2 way average of 209.9mph for a record and into the club.  So its great to have spare parts for your race car, but even better to have a spare race car!! :-D  Take care, Dave
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline DavidinDurango

Welcome Bloomberg Bros!
« Reply #1514 on: October 04, 2010, 10:02:23 PM »
Have met one or both of you (Pahrump at the Pantera track day) and enjoyed our conversation.

Good to see you here, hope to see you running more!

All the best,

David in Durango
DavidinDurango
Mostly Fords with "some stuff"
LSR, because it takes more than one ball to play.