Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2277091 times)

Offline debgeo

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1440 on: August 01, 2010, 06:36:38 PM »
Rule books can be ordered from SCTA website. Best investment you can make starting out.  :-) :-)
George---Sidecar in progress

Offline dw230

« Reply #1441 on: August 01, 2010, 07:33:42 PM »
N.F.S.,

For a Loring event you will want to get your rulebook from them or the ECTA, http://www.ecta-lsr.com/

Both associations use the same book, different record databases.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline martysmilt

• New folks
« Reply #1442 on: August 01, 2010, 09:50:04 PM »
Hi everyone!
My name is Marty Smiltneek.
I live in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin and am attending the August 14th session as a crew member with CFALT #309 for the first time. 
I am living the dream, I never had aspirations to drive on the salt flats,  I have wanted to be a builder of a machine that competed since I was old enough to read popular mechanics, hot rod mag., etc.  Needless to say, a Long time!  For the past year we have been modifying a drag racer / (bucket list car).  to run on the salt.  It has been an interesting year.  I have had the pleasure of meeting some people who hold records at Bonneville and have learned a thing or two (I hope) from them.  I hope to arrive with a car that will pass tech inspection, compete safely and come home in one piece.

About me;
So far I have built a couple of cars for my self and helped a friend or two.  I had a turbo Corvair powered VW bug in the early 70's several other interesting fast cars including a 68 Mustang that ran in the 13's in 1973. I also owned a formula vee, a Lancia Zagato, an Alfa, Volvo 1800 a couple of Audi Quarto's and many other plane Jane daily drivers not worth mention.  I built an aluminum airplane from plans that was signed off December 17Th 2003. (Exactly 100 years after the Wright Brothers first flight).  I love to fabricate, machine and weld.
I hope to see many of you in a couple of weeks!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1443 on: August 02, 2010, 01:43:23 AM »
Marty, you found the right hobby for fabrication, machining, and welding.  Most of us do some or a lot of all three.  Also, your goal of passing tech, running safe, and coming home alive are nice and realistic.  I hope to see you on the salt.   

Offline Asub1

• New folks
« Reply #1444 on: August 03, 2010, 09:50:44 PM »
My name is Nancy.  My husband, Tracy and I have one daughter, Camryn (Cam).  Our family has just recently ventured into landspeed racing.  My husband raced his Hayabusa at Maxton in April and June of this year.  We just got back from the Loring meet.  We love the cars, bikes and atmosphere at these races...but most of all we enjoy the people we have met and the stories we have heard.  LSR racers are like no other...thankfully.  It's been a blast.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 08:39:57 AM by Asub1 »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1445 on: August 04, 2010, 10:58:50 AM »
Welcome aboard all of you salt fever aflicted     :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Gman

« Reply #1446 on: August 05, 2010, 02:48:05 PM »
Hi everyone,  My name is Garran and I'm a salt addict(everyone say "hi Garran")  I am a retired top fuel mechanic that was fortunate enough to work for many hall of fame drivers including all the Kalittas and even wrenched for Garlits when he came back out of retirement.  I hope to build my own lsr car one day but for now I have to be content to help out other friends that are in need at speedweek.  I have enjoyed lurking on this site for some time and just wanted to say thanks for all the insight I've gained by reading your informative posts.
It's time to stop reading about history and start creating it

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1447 on: August 05, 2010, 02:52:02 PM »
Okay, Garran, I'll call your bluff.  Where are you located? Will you be at any of this year's events at Bonneville?  If you'll be at Speedweek -- will you be at Salt Talks on Sunday evening?

There.  That's enough hassling for this short welcome note.  We look forward to hearing more from you.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline lcorriveau3

• New folks
« Reply #1448 on: August 05, 2010, 06:14:53 PM »
Hello, my name is Lewis, 42, live in Augusta Maine. I grew up In Caribou (just a short drive from Loring)I attended the LTA-LSR event over the weekend and wanted to join the board to get some insite on how to get started. I did see a couple of stock appearing vehicles run and I am interested in giving this a try. I purchased the rule book (step one) now to figure out the next steps. I look forward to reading up and getting information from this site. Thanks

Offline domr

• New folks
« Reply #1449 on: August 05, 2010, 06:39:13 PM »
Hey
My Names Dom. I'm from the uk,  coming over for the speed week as its something I've always wanted to do got a few questions and have been pointed in the direction of this forum, so here I am !

Online saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #1450 on: August 05, 2010, 06:44:38 PM »
this is the right place.

ask away.

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #1451 on: August 05, 2010, 06:47:40 PM »
Dom and Lewis welcome to the forum. Once you get the fever of the sport of LSR and a trip to the salt you will be hooked. This site will provide you with the many answers to your questions. I got my first case of salt fever in 1953 and have been getting yearly fixs since. LSR is a sport like no other. The rules are a little different as are the types of vehicles that run. There are something over 2000 classes available in SCTA. You should find one you like. Enjoy your new adventure.

:cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1452 on: August 05, 2010, 07:18:54 PM »
I'll second what Glen said about this being a good place to learn stuff about land speed racing.  As for you, Dom, please consider making plans to attend Salt Talks, our big picnic for land speed racers (started all those years ago so the folks on line could meet one another in person).  It's Sunday evening, the 15th, at The Bend in the Road.  All are welcome!  And you're now welcome to be on the Forum.  Thanks for signing up.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline lcorriveau3

• New folks
« Reply #1453 on: August 05, 2010, 07:52:41 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, I am hoping to go see the salt next year, 2011. My wife and I are planning a trip. She is lucky and saw the salt last year while driving cross country with her best friend. No racing but she did see the salt. I hope to get to attempt to run Loring next year. Mostly stock v6 99 mustang, should be slow but hey, gotta start somewhere.   Thanks again for the welcome.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1454 on: August 05, 2010, 09:05:28 PM »
Mostly stock v6 99 mustang, should be slow but hey, gotta start somewhere.   Thanks again for the welcome.
Lewis, build something like this.....

...it's got a V6 in it....it just keeps going faster...then you can use the 'tang as a test bed :wink:

Welcome aboard
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.