Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2277199 times)

Offline piratediverjefff

• New folks
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1425 on: July 18, 2010, 11:17:41 AM »
I understand, I have been there several years with the minibike, and kinda knew the rules, but thank you for clarifying them.  Now a quick question, can I buy a logbook there, even though I am not entered this year, so as to get a headstart for next year?  Thanks!

Yes you can...best ten bucks spent besides a rule book.. :cheers:

Congrats on your 252 John Boy(you crazy bastid!),just heard about it from Scott. :cheers:

Offline LonH

• New folks
« Reply #1426 on: July 18, 2010, 04:53:49 PM »
Ah, the excitement of youth.  Welcome to the Forum, Lon.  We'll be looking forward to learning lots about your build - and maybe even yourself.  Tell us, if you please, what kind of experience you've got (if any) in racing, and what you do as a "real" job, and stuff like that.  No need to do so -- we just like to know something about each other here.

As for building your truck into a land speed vehicle -- will you run at Maxton, NC, or go to Bonneville?  Maxton's quite a bit closer to you and would probably give you some good experiences.  BUT - the rules are slightly different for those two places, so make sure you've got a rulebook before you get too far into your building.  It'd be a heck of a note to have almost everything done and then ddiscover you don't have one or another thing correct for the chosen venue.

I've gotta go -- a customer just walked in.  Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome! My racing experience goes back to autocrossing an 87 S-10. I learned a lot about rule books due to that truck. The little 4 cyl S-10 was classed in D Street Prepared due to the modified suspension. I only raced a couple times, due to time/money limits.  I'm currently currently unemployed but I have done everything from fix copiers to working as a welder. I'm firmly entrenched in being a motorhead, I try everyday to drag my daughter to the dark side despite her mom's protests.

My GMC is slowy becoming roadworthy after 7 years of hibernation, for the time being I want to run slower classes, and just learn the ropes. I also have a 90 Silverado, I think it will be little less brick like, so I may run it as well. I will be running at Maxton, according to MapQuest it's only 9 hours and 26 minutes from my home.

I want to go to B-ville. Last winter I was working in Las Vegas and Reno and could have driven by, but the guy I was sharing a truck with wanted to take the southern route back. Needless to say I was a little ticked off, a 5 hour drive kept me from seeing Mecca. When I get to go back it will be a spectator first.

Again thanks for the welcome.

Seldom Seen Slim, I have a DVD of Bonneville where your wife was getting her B-license. Being a new motorcycle rider I have to say y'all are a lot braver than me.

Offline patrick66

• New folks
« Reply #1427 on: July 26, 2010, 06:55:37 PM »
I'm Patrick, and have been a salt fan since the late '60s, but I've yet to go to the salt for the racing!  One day, I'll be there.

Offline dw230

« Reply #1428 on: July 26, 2010, 10:22:16 PM »
Dude!!!!!!!!

Thats like 40+ years :-o

Where do you live, how can I help?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline GD

« Reply #1429 on: July 28, 2010, 03:07:42 AM »
Hi everyone. Newbie from Canada here. Bragg Creek, Alberta to be exact. My name is Gord Driedger. Great web site and forum. Like a lot of others I have been lurking and gaining much info from all of you. Thought it was about time I introduced myself. I've read about Bonneville for many years (I'm 53) and its been on my bucket list to bring a car there for a long time. The time has arrived! I'm registered for speed week as car #653 running in XF/GCC with a '53 Stude. I'm really pumped and can't wait. I just acquired the car in March while I was in Napa Valley on a wine tasting vacation. Happened to meet some great guys and new friends from Napa Valley Cruisers while I was there, and during a garage tour, the subject of Bonneville came up and I mentioned the bucket list thing. The next day I was shown this '53 Stude that was built for Bonneville and was availabe for sale. My fate was sealed right then and there. Shortly thereafter I had the Stude sent up to me. I'm madly thrashing away on it trying to get all the details worked out and finish the build. It didn't have a fire system so thats done now. Just got it back from the dyno shop where we spent a week tuning and fixing things. The flathead has a vertex mag that didnt like the tach we installed very much so we changed out the tach and went to a magnetic pickup off the crank pulley. Works much better now. Still have a few more things to get done ie install full door net and seat belts etc but getting close. I have been in touch with some of the tech officials (Kiwi Steve) who have been very helpful with advise since this is a new car thats never seen the salt and was built a few years ago before some of the rule changes. Want to make sure the car passes tech when I get there. I look forward to meeting some of you guys on the salt! The boys from Napa will be there too so it will be nice to see them again. My wife and 3 daughters are flying down to join us so hopefully they catch "salt fever" too. See you in 16 days!
GD
Gord Driedger
53 Studebaker
Record holder Speedweek 2016 XF/FCC 162.698
Record holder Speedweek 2016 XF/GCC 158.978

Offline coloradodave

« Reply #1430 on: July 28, 2010, 08:17:28 AM »
Car looks pretty cool, you should post some more pics, welcome and we will be looking for your car in the pits.
Dave
No regrets

Offline GH

« Reply #1431 on: July 28, 2010, 08:53:07 AM »
Great looking Stude, glad to see another one on the salt. You're in for some fun....

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1432 on: July 28, 2010, 01:48:11 PM »
Good luck Gord. You won't be alone. There are several guys from this area heading in that direction.

Pete

Offline Phil Veldheer Racing

« Reply #1433 on: July 28, 2010, 09:01:33 PM »
I've been a member for a long time and thought I'd better introduce myself.  My name is Phil Veldheer and I have been a drag racer since the 1967 US Nationals.  I live in Holland, Michigan.  Drag raced at Indy over 20 times.  Was inducted into the US 131 Motorsports Drag Racing Hall of Fame in 1995.  I have won a few races, won my class many times and I am the current IHRA WORLD record holder in F/CM with my 1969 Camaro.  I have held the record for four years and just reset my record this past Memorial Day weekend.  I have 5 other drag cars and four other drivers.  The other cars are 87 442 Super Pro, 87 442 Super Pro, 78 Cutlass Super Pro, 97 Pontiac Firebird B/SA, 99 Z-28 Modified class.  "if it don't have wheel's, it ain't a sport" .  I plan on turning the 99 Z-28 into a land speed car in three or four years.  The taking it to Maxton then Utah.  I have a lot to learn but I always want to learn more.  Any fellow drag racers or land speed guys can email me directly at 455@i2k.com   I am interested in photos of other 99 Camaros.  thanks for your time and thanks to landracing.com

Phil 8-)
Phil Veldheer Racing
IHRA World Record Holder

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1434 on: July 28, 2010, 09:13:29 PM »
Welcome, Phil, and thanks for making the change from lurker to active poster.  Nancy and I live way up north -- in Skandia, in the U.P., but we'll still talk with you -- even if you are a troll from our point of view.

Your resume says you've seen a race course a few times -- and that's good, because many of the others on the Forum have now and then as well -- and it's fun to share stories and lies with others who have the same basic affliction.

So -- there's a quick howdy, and I hope to see your stuff in print here -- and maybe some photos of the '99 Camaro.  If you can't figure out how to attach photos to posts -- ask and you'll get help pronto.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Jeff Brock

• XO/GCC
« Reply #1435 on: July 29, 2010, 01:59:45 AM »
Hey LR folks ,
I believe I owe an apology for not properly introducing myself here.
Last year when I dove into Land Speed racing , I was short on time and a little 'blindly eager". Please except my apologies, I did not realize the disrespect.
That said:
My name is Jeff Brock . I live in Abiquiu, New Mexico.
Both myself and my wife, Star York , are artist by trade. {sculptors}
I was raised in Flint Michigan. My father was {still is at 74} a great Machinist and Custom / Race motorcycle builder.
I grew up riding to the races, on the gas tank of BSA Gold Stars, Matchless and Harley Davidson, Scrambles and Flat Track bikes .
Dad would pull the headlight and tail light off said bike, give me the job of holding them while he went out and raced . More times than not, I would be holding a trophy,beaming, settin on that gas tank going home.
I still have his silk sponsor jerseys from Flint Indian , Flint BSA and Flint Matchless. Throughout my life, I  found I was attracted to all forms of Vintage racing. I have always loved the build process as much as racing.I persued dirt Flat Track and dirt Drags with the AMCA. and AMA National Ice Racing.
When I moved to New Mexico in 2000 I needed put the toys away and invest time & $'s into my art career.
A life long dream of mine was to build and race a Bonneville Land Speed car.After a 9 year "break" in the spring of 2009, I stepped into the land speed world . It  has been THE best experience in many ways. I have favored the build process , the people and the racing. I hope to share the passion with you folks . I hope to continue to build better faster cars along the way.
Thanks for all the help I received here already. Looking forward
Jeff Brock

BROCK ART SPEED

Offline dw230

« Reply #1436 on: July 29, 2010, 02:48:14 PM »
Jeff,

Your entrance into the LSR scene was one of complete sucess. I think your Buick was the most photographed car on the salt last year.

Welcome aboard, I look forward to seeing you again in a few days.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Foowee

• New folks
« Reply #1437 on: August 01, 2010, 12:42:30 PM »
Howdy y'all...  My name is Tony.  I'm from Covington, KY.  I have an 89 Honda Crx.  It has done a best 1/4 mile of 12.1@112 on 14lbs.

http://vimeo.com/2033458

d16a6(the bottom end actually came out of Zerolift's dumpster)
Decked .075
Milled .016(I had to shorten the dowel pins and oil control jet)
aerospeed adj. cam gear
z6 intake manny
62mm tb
std. bore techline coated ycp vitara pistons(FJT rocks fast shipping and quality stuff)
devcon filled
eagle rods
drilled mains
techline coated stock valves
std manifold
bmc t3 adapter plate
t3/t04e 57trim .63ar ex

L3 si tranny w/dx final and an obx
exedy 3 puck

walbro 255 hp with 8 guage wiring
fic p&h 550's
motorolla 2.5bar
te2.62 ng60
innovate lm1
tt coolant adapter

I'm currently in the middle of swapping to a fresh chassis and doing some upgrades as well...  

I think I may be able to set records at Maxton in:  G/BGCC or G/BGC with the new car ...  

I think I could also set records in:  H/BGCC, H/BGSS, or H/BGC with an engine I'm planning to build in the near future...

I'm here mainly to do research on how to prep the chassis and figure out which class it will be placed in...  I'll probably be attending one of the fall Maxton events as a spectator, this year.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 01:01:43 PM by Foowee »

Offline dw230

« Reply #1438 on: August 01, 2010, 01:36:21 PM »
Going to an event for research is a good idea.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline N.F.S.

• need for speed
« Reply #1439 on: August 01, 2010, 06:29:32 PM »
Hi everyone!!
I live in Northern Maine and was at the Loring event this weekend.I don't race,at least not yet,but want too.I was wondering where the get a rulebook for cause I would like to run something at a future event at Loring.Any help and advise would be much appreciated.

Kevin