Author Topic: Charlie Toy Fairing?  (Read 35567 times)

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: Charlie Toy Fairing?
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2008, 02:32:28 PM »
Ron,

If you remember the bike I ran in Australia you would remember that I ran Kent's (Airtech) front and lower bodywork, it was Kents own design of what we will call Busa/Toy bodywork and I did use the rear tail section Kent made which is a Toy body that is narrowed and shortened at the WOS race years ago.  I like the look and the fit was awesome I removed it to test a stock tail and never went back to Kent to replace it and then that bike was sold to another racer who has yes to run the bike.

So the fastest ever open wheel bike record set at Bonneville was done with Airtech front, middle and lower bodywork same as you saw us run in Australia.

See you in 2009..

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2008, 03:58:01 PM »
ronnie.... because the toy fairing is only avalible to people i like
kent

ummm.... do you like ME Kent?!

:-D

Deb
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2008, 03:14:54 AM »
arr`huh,, point taken about the fastest sit on record 8-),, but, we are not seeing the complete package of charlie toy bodywork on the "fast" bikes, with the exception of steve knecums, and larry fostells bikes, which i am presuming have toy, or a close copy of the toy bodywork...

i like most know little about the magic of aerodynamics,,
 i would like to raise the observation,,, do different bodyshapes (aero)work more efficiently at differing speeds?,, jason says  he feels that the charlie toy package is good for 10+mph, but at what speed range 180,190,200?,
what was the "target speed" mister toy had in mind when he designed it all those years ago?.
obviously the toy bodys work below 200mph, but that dose not mean that thay have the same positive efficiency at speeds around 250mph,,,
comments gentleman :-)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2008, 04:49:16 AM »

A shape that doesn't work at 50, won't work better at 150, or 250.
Like most things, a lot of people preach something else, but you should only use what works the best.
A quite well known race bike builder would test the effectiveness of the streamlining package by repeatedly rolling a dead motored bike down the same hill , the same distance, and accurately record the speed at end of a run that was only about 10% of the target speed .
Each time he made a slight change, he would record the results that translated into a  lot of wins.
It was taken as seriously as any dyno power development that anybody ever spent a lot of time with.
It provided real world results, unlike the theoretical results from a wind tunnel that still must translate to ride-ability.
Can Am , for 1 , found that out by being able to separate wind tunnel
data from the final result.   :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2008, 08:39:57 AM »

A quite well known race bike builder would test the effectiveness of the streamlining package by repeatedly rolling a dead motored bike down the same hill , the same distance, and accurately record the speed at end of a run that was only about 10% of the target speed .

Jack, who was it? I remember reading about this person in one of Kent's books on land speed motorcycles, but I can't remember the persons name.

Scott

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2008, 10:15:20 AM »
in 2006 Jim Owen was going to test the Toy body against the stock Kawasaki fairing on his ZX12R.  He's got the M/PS/F record at 219.555, so qualifies as a "fast" bike.  But -- the rule change got him.  He runs stock bodywork and therefore in M/PS, but the Toy body would have put him in A/PS, and the rules don't allow changing from M to A during the same year.  So -- he couldn't do it. 

He was all set with brackets and mounts and such so he could make a quick change from one body to the other, and was at WoS so he wouldn't have to wait too long in line between runs -- but to no avail.  Too bad -- it would have been the most realistic test so far.

Yeah, I know, I know -- he should go to Bub's where he'd be allowed to do the swap.  His budget doesn't allow more than one trip to the Salt each year (if that), and he enjoys WoS over the other events, and that's that.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline joea

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2008, 10:31:32 AM »
muuuuuuzzzzzyyyyyy

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2008, 11:40:22 AM »
ronnie.... because the toy fairing is only avalible to people i like
kent

I love it when the gods speak!
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2008, 04:05:51 PM »
desired speed really doesnt play a factor in how i design a fairing .... i feel a good fairing will help by 5 to 10%.... look at all the open resords vs the p/s records.... check all displacements....youll see about a 5 to 10% difference in speed.... so Jason feels 10mph on his yamaha at close to 200mph that equates to about 5%.... if someone feels they can design, build, or buy something better.... go ahead..... acording to my math it will take an aditional 76hp to get the same 10mph my fairing will get ya
kent
ps staytee.. brining up bad blood between me and a couple of my ex employees wont score ya any points.... wasnt it you that wanted to buy a toy setup a couple of years ago? good luck to ya...

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2008, 04:18:12 PM »
in 2006 Jim Owen was going to test the Toy body against the stock Kawasaki fairing on his ZX12R.  He's got the M/PS/F record at 219.555, so qualifies as a "fast" bike.  But -- the rule change got him.  He runs stock bodywork and therefore in M/PS, but the Toy body would have put him in A/PS, and the rules don't allow changing from M to A during the same year.  So -- he couldn't do it. 

He was all set with brackets and mounts and such so he could make a quick change from one body to the other, and was at WoS so he wouldn't have to wait too long in line between runs -- but to no avail.  Too bad -- it would have been the most realistic test so far.

Yeah, I know, I know -- he should go to Bub's where he'd be allowed to do the swap.  His budget doesn't allow more than one trip to the Salt each year (if that), and he enjoys WoS over the other events, and that's that.

No he didn't need to go to Bubs, he just needed to read the rule book better.  You can run a Toy fairing in MPS... Running a Stock fairing allows you to exceed the height and placement rules...  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2008, 05:12:12 PM »
Bob, you know -- you might just be right.  Maybe I'm substituting my own hazy thoughts for what happened.  Maybe the story was that he ran out of time -- the weather went away.  Yeah, well, whatever -- I don't have the stock bodywork for my 12R anymore so I can't do it.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2008, 06:50:33 PM »
Study the fastest ones, there is going to be a test. :-D

OBTW: Toy sells used cars in Arizona , but is a student of the art.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

landracing

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2008, 12:14:55 AM »
I really believe the orginal toy body was the best.

Kent's bodies of the Toy Design is the closest available to the original. And I must say I do love the bodywork. There are problems with it on short wheel base bikes (my opinion and tested results)

I still think it would work best on longer wheel base bikes as originally intended... On Charlies Bike...

Hell he went close to 230 mph with a air cooled 1350cc (under that even I think it was 1200 some cc's), draw thru turbo setup on alcohol. damn fast for the year and what he ran with....

jon

landracing

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2008, 12:34:21 AM »
There are many using the bodywork.

A few that I dont have a picture of at the moment is Royce McClinton (Sp???) and Wink Ellar all white version.

the first picture (green bike) is the Original Toy body work. This version in picture was after some hacking of the front fender by Charlie on the salt when he had some handling issues.

jon

landracing

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2008, 12:35:44 AM »
and More.