Author Topic: Shipping cars  (Read 4725 times)

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
Shipping cars
« on: February 16, 2008, 09:14:50 PM »
Has anybody ever shipped a race car from state to state? I am looking at shipping a car from So-cal to Utah. I have gotten some prices, just was wondering if there was cheaper/ better ones, or possibly someone thats coming from so cal to utah that would be able to do it?

TIA
Clay
Those who said it could not be done, should not stand in the way of those who are already doing it!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Shipping cars
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 09:35:19 PM »
Have you checked out www.uship.com?  They offer an auction for shipping stuff -- like an eBay for shipping.  I've shipped race bikes with them and was quite satisfied.

Let me know if you try them -- I often suggest this company and don't get feedback.  Maybe they're gone, maybe they're really good.  I'd like to know.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 03:12:56 PM »
You might also try; www.richsclassictransport.com  Heck of a nice guy and a racer.   Jerry
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 03:21:32 PM »
Ok thanks for the responses.
I have decided to make the trip from Utah to california and driver down to get the car. I am planning on going through St.George, then Mesquite, then onto California. Any body have any preferences in which way to go go? The car is located in Santa ana. I have been told that in Barstow, the local law enforcement really patrol this area. Also outside of Vegas and beyond, whats it like for fueling up with diesel. I was told that there is really not a whole lot of places to get this.

TIA
Clay
Those who said it could not be done, should not stand in the way of those who are already doing it!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 03:28:17 PM »
Diesel's readily available along the way.  Probably cheaper in Nevada.  Californis law has a maximum speed of 55 mph on all vehicles towing trailers, regardless of the posted speed limit.  I always stay right with the 18-wheelers as they have a good knowledge of what's happening around them.  You're also limited to the truck lanes (like right two on a three-lane {one way}), andf that can be a nice ticket, too.  Just stay with the trucks and save fuel and other expenses on your trip.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 03:41:23 PM »
Good to know, thank you Stan!!!!
So if I am just driving my truck with out towing then I can do the posted speed limit, is that correct? But If I am towing no matter what its 55MPH?

Is 4 hrs from santa ana to lasvegas/mesquite reasonable?

TIA
Clay

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 03:47:19 PM »
Yes

And maybe --depends on the time of day and with or without trailer.  A great time without trailer.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 04:17:17 PM »
Thanks for the info.
I will be making the trip down with out a trailer, however coming back I will have a car on the tow dolly.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 04:59:47 PM »
It's just over 300 miles to El Mirage from St. George and it takes me about 5 1/2 hours. Don't buy fuel in Baker Calif. very expensive. I usually fuel up just out side of Vegas near the state line. FYI Santa Ana is 400 miles to St. George. A car on a dolly is same as towing a trailer. They also run a lot of Radar thru the Virgin River Gorge between Nevada and Utah. :-o
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 06:46:19 PM »
i drive from san diego to utah every other wed.. i take the 15 all the way....do not buy gas in baker .... i paid 3.20 at the shell station next to the oasis in mesquite i would gas up in cedar city and make it almost to elsinore without a refill....if you are towing you should top off in st george, you should be able to make it to barstow for a refill...the gas at the flyin j should be below 3...then on to the 60 or 10west...map quest it...
kent

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 07:34:52 PM »
You can check gas prices before you go. A few blocks off the beaten path saves you money.
Gas Price Watch
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Jarlo

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 11:41:06 PM »
  Another good site that seems to work for most state is:
http://www.utahgasprices.com/  Formerly know as "gasbuddy.com".
Even though it says "Utah", you can search the whole route , town by town.
Good Luck,
Jim

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 11:56:49 AM »
Well I ended up just driving down to Santa ana and just getting the car, which is a good thing that I did as I was able to pick up alot of extra parts that went with the car. Left friday night after work, arrived back at my home in Utah late Sunday night, alot of driving!!!!. Thanks for all the input.

Clay