Author Topic: Karmann Ghia Ragtop Class?  (Read 4990 times)

Offline lukesdaddy

• New folks
Karmann Ghia Ragtop Class?
« on: February 24, 2008, 08:31:20 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I am building a 1968 Karmann Ghia that has a hole cut in the top for an after market rag top.  I am not positive yet which class I will fit in but I think I am going for CC or ALT.  My question is, can I leave the rag top frame in an remove the canvas and replace it with either aluminum or lexan?  Or, can I cut the top off completely and make it a roadster?  If I can't do this and fit in the CC or ALT class, which class can I fit in?

Thanks for any comments and hope to see you all in El Mirage and Bonneville.   

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

Re: Karmann Ghia Ragtop Class?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 05:55:31 PM »
I would fill the roof in with sheet steel making it as it was originally. If you were to use plastic it, I am sure it would have to be Lexan or other high impact poly that are designated for windshields. Plexiglass is easy to break; always forms jagged triangles and in the event of a roll over could ruin your day. If the top was completely removed, imo, because it was not originally a convertible would be changing the contour and make such a modification illegal unless the class designated that removing of the top is legal (MS for instance). Because the Giha was offered in convertible form I don’t know how the SCTA views calling it a convertible and removing the top and installing a whistle cage.....I have seen cars that were non original versions of cars offered....like the Dodge Daytona that I am fairly sure did not begin life as a million dollar Daytona.
(Could be wrong!)

From an aerodynamic standpoint I suggest keeping the top....lowering it as much as is legal but definitely keeping it.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 07:27:47 PM »
I'll chip in that filling it with aluminum would be alright -- just make sure you don't change the contour of it.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 09:05:04 PM »
I, too, would keep the top.  The Ghia has a nice slope coming off of the back and I suspect that it would be more aero than a roadster, even with a tonneau.  And as long as you're considering opinions, I'd fill the hole with steel.  It doesn't weigh that much more, you'll regain a little bit of structural integrity, and you'll be welding and doing body work at about the level of a kitchen table, which makes it easy.  If you're good, or know somebody who is, that patch could be done so smoothly that nobody would ever know - not even the wind. 

One other thought with regards to the sunroof - do you really want to pre-heat your interior at Bonneville in August?  Sun overhead at noon, being magnified into your interior as you wait in line to run?  Shade is your friend.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 10:14:16 PM »
Locate a hulk and cut out the body panel you need to restore the original contour, and save your resources for something else. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline wolcottjl

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 09:09:27 AM »
Here is a Ghia Hardtop that ran pretty well at Maxton.

Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010

Offline lukesdaddy

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 09:25:03 AM »
Thanks everyone for your responses.  I have come to the same conclusion.  I talked to Doug Robinson of BMR racing and he says the same.  I can't run it as a roadster but I can probably get away with filling the hole.  It sure looks ugly though.  I think I have found a replacement roof.  I will be talking to the junk yard today.  I will be starting a build diary soon.  I think this is going to be a fun project.  I have already got a couple of sponsers.  My ultimate goal is to push it beyond 200 mph.  Don't know if it is possible but it won't be from a lack of power or trying.

Thanks again.