Author Topic: Want to run over 200 , what to build ?  (Read 15885 times)

Offline Crazydawg

• New folks
200 MPH
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2006, 06:40:42 PM »
Jim I am like you and new. But I to have the 200MPH fever. But don't mind using something newer. But definably would like some inexpensive way to do it.

Oh by the ways guys. What would you recommend is the least expensive way to go over 200 on 4 wheels? Car is not as important as the 200 is.

Thanks

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
Re: Want to run over 200 , what to build ?
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2006, 08:07:48 PM »
Quote from: jimmy six
Welcome to the land of LSR. .  The craftsman ship of the 50's was different , not necessarily wrong. As it is today. Good Luck J.D.

.......I'm a builder , in the grand scheme of things a greenstick but I've worked this much out......LSR , and the salt in particular is harsh on everything from motors to the tent pegs you take there........when J.D says " good luck " he means it because luck plays a huge part in it .If you have bad luck a supplier will let you down just before Speedweek so you'll spend four times as much getting a part machined in time ,it will rain when everything else has been done , you will qualify but lean out on your record run and destroy your fresh Big Block , just when you spend the 10,000 getting it re-built you break your hand , now it's five years after you started .

There is only a cigarette paper between struggle and big budget in this game .With a big budget you can have fun and " make it look a bit easier".......if you have to watch your funds then get prayin' 'cause you'll need all the luck you can muster.

The best thing about LSR is the individual aspect , if there was a "do it this way " manual then a lot of the odd-balls who make this game interesting would be off doing something else, that's how those with different skills compete against each other , the engine builder , the body-man , the lateral thinker.........take a look at the Bud-Fab....that's cutting edge. :wink:

John Broughan did very well for what he spent ( Racing here in Oz), hard workers and smart too the Broughans.......after what I've learnt I'd see JB as the bottom line in a budget build ....I wouldn't expect anyone to go faster for less , ever.

between starting to type this and submitting this thread has gone nuts!!!!! , hang in there Jim , you'll love it.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline RichFox

Want to run over 200 , what to build ?
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2006, 10:19:24 PM »
I would recommend a Vega/Monza type of body. Maybe an old drag car. With a big block of most any type. It worked for me. $1100 460 Ford went 197.9. 455 Pontiac went 208. Cost a lot more.

Offline Crazydawg

• New folks
Thanks
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2006, 10:53:29 PM »
Rich .Thanks a bunch........That was pretty much what I was thinking. Something that's aero small with big block.
   I was about to panic with all the huge numbers. Since all of my lotto tickets seem to keep being wall paper.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Thanks
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2006, 11:54:29 PM »
Quote from: Crazydawg
Rich .Thanks a bunch........That was pretty much what I was thinking. Something that's aero small with big block.
   I was about to panic with all the huge numbers. Since all of my lotto tickets seem to keep being wall paper.

You might want to check Hooley's story out ( HERE ).

He got over 200 the first year without an outrageous expense.  Just a lot of work by him and his friends.

Now to get a record 2 years later involved more money, but still not that much considering what some people are mentioning.

c ya,

Sum

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2006, 02:13:02 AM »
The Stude rocks!!

dwarner

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2006, 09:26:46 AM »
It's been 2 1/2 years since belltank1 started this thread and his last post. I guess his short build time failed to materialize. Didn't last long.

DW

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2006, 10:48:48 AM »
Dan I hope he hasn't given up.. But with that said, as both of us have over 30 years doing and watching this stuff if never ceases to amaze me how many start with "I'm gonna."
Nobody seems to come from other venues where they have done well very humble.

I always strive to do better each time I go out but will always take what the Salt or Dirt gives. I normally have no one else to blame on the tune or prep.. "Joe the Rag man Rebuilder" does not do any of my work..I have only one person to blame on all the speeds my cars attain...I have never said the "the clocks are wrong" but I have sure heard it alot.

A boastful owners ego is sometimes hard to swallow. The one who comes prepared and know what they are getting into with traction and running for 5 miles always get my admiration. Even if they are gone in 1 or 2 years and have their hat.

More are spending more because they have it. Dynos are common place for those wishing to attain where these speeds are now.  Vehicles are built safer and better.

I still wish anyone wanting to do this to give it a try. Safe cars can be found and upgraded if old. Don't give up on your dream. That's why I kept my first ride...It will give me something to drive when I'm 80.

Honestly the easiest ans cheapest way to go 200 is to go to your local sport bike dealer and lay down your credit card and do what it takes to step it up and clear the 200 barrier. Then sell it before you hurt yourself.

Good luck to all....J.D.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline RichFox

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2006, 11:02:28 AM »
IMHO going 200 isn't all that bad, as long as that's all you want to do. Getting a record is a whole 'nother deal.

Offline promachine

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2006, 01:27:54 PM »
Jim, If your still with us, and you are serious about going 250, come to
the world finals and I will put you on my crew for the week.
You will be able to see what it takes first hand.
Dirty 2 driver-nitro junkie-H.P. peddler

Offline BAKERSFIELD BOYS

Getting to 200mph
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2006, 06:52:44 PM »
HERE IS HOW THE BAKERSFIELD BOYS GOT CLOSE TO 200 MPH. 6 YRS BUILDING A REAL HOT ROD A 34 FORD 3 WINDOW COUPE. BUILD THE CAR HEAVY,CAUSE IT IS A AREO BRICK . BUT A REAL HOT ROD. WE RUN IT 2 RACES AT EL MIRGE GETTIG SOME BUGS OUT WENT 165 MPH. FIRST YEAR AT BONNEVILLEIN 2004 WENT 154 MPH AN SMOKED THE CLUTCH. RACING OVER FOR THE MEET. GOT HOME MY WIFE WENT TO THE CAISNO AND WON GAVE US HALF OF THE WINNINGS FOR A NEW CLUTCH . 2005 GOT TO BONNEVILLE CAR RAN FAIR  THEN RAINED US OUT THEN WE FOUND A LOT OF PULLED HEAD STUDS SO NOW OUR 468 B/B CHEVY IS HURT . THANKS TO A FEW GREAT PEOPLE HERE IN BAKERSFIELD .JUST 5 WEEKS BEFORE BONNEVILLE WE BUILT A NEW 506 B/B BLOCK AND RETURNED TO BONNEVILLE .RAN GOOD EACH DAY AND CAME HOME WITH A RECORD IN AACBFALT OF 193.29 MPH. BUT MEET WAS OVER IF WE HAD HAD ANOTHER DAY WE WOULD HAVE BURN UP OUR NEW ENGINE AS WE FOUND A FUEL STARVATION PROBLEM CAR RUN OUT OF FUEL ABOUT THE MIDDLE OF THE SECOND MILE . SO SOME DAY MAYBE SOON WE WILL PUSH THIS BRICK 200 MPH BUT JUST GOING TO BONNEVILLE  WITH OUR RACE CAR IS A BIG WOODY FOR US. SO WATCH FOR US NEXT YEAR MAYBE OUR FIRST YEAR TO GO 200 MPH. RON RAINES/HARRY GARCIA "THE BAKERSFIELD BOYS"                                                                                                                                                                                                                          AA/CBFALT RECORD 193.29 AUG 18 2006

Offline Reverend Hedgash

Woah
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2006, 02:24:32 AM »
Sheesh! This lummox asked the question and got cranky over two years ago (original post April 2004) and his post is still getting answers...

What gives? Is he packing?

Wheres the car? Show me the car!

And lord strike me down if I smirk ironically when he has an end over requiring his body's removal from the wreckage with a syringe...

reverend H+

'Different strokes for elderly or unfit folks"