Poll

speed measurement

length
9 (100%)
max
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: newcomers question  (Read 12087 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: newcomers question
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 01:29:46 PM »
Folks it's real simple, the record must be backed up in the same mile as you qualified in. If you qualified in all three miles the fastest mile is used. You can't qualify in the last mile and back it up in the first.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline willieworld

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 03:51:10 PM »
my rule book says "Records are established by a two run average over the same relitave or physical mile, depending on course conditions."    i never noticed because i turn off right after the 2 mile marker  my bike doesnt run any faster if i run to the 3 mile marker       willie buchta
course conditions it happened to me i was the last to run one day and qualified == went back the next morning for the record run and they had moved the track over to a new location ----course conditions     
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 05:29:03 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2008, 07:51:59 PM »
Wow you mean I had a good question?  See us new guys are good for something. The main reason for my question Is if my calculations are correct I should top out at mile 2 or 3, so is there any reason to keep pushing it ? Can I just run past mile 3 and then slow and return or must I finish mile 5 ?

Sum or anyone,,, I have been telling my fornds out here about my build for Maxton and my desire for USFRA in the fall... Now a good friend of mine wants to run his rotary engine RX7... is it ok to run it ?  What motor class would it be ?

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2008, 08:22:55 PM »
Wow you mean I had a good question?  See us new guys are good for something.

Well, it was a "kid" who pointed out that the emporer was naked.  Never dumb questions - only dumb mistakes.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2008, 08:35:13 PM »
CKid, your first hurtle will be running a 175 average between the 2 and the 2 1/4....  :|  Then the question of running past the 3 comes to question.   I would suggest getting through that one, then you can shutoff anytime you want.  If you top out between the 2 and 3, then your best average is probably the 3-4.  So work to get on the long course first, may require re-gearing for best short acceleration, then after you qualify for the long, gear higher.  Holding WOT for 3 miles of top speed usually gains a little if done right and is a lot of fun  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2008, 09:16:39 PM »
Yeah WOT  all the way sounds fun, but I am sure my lil motor pushing a brick body the aero push  will be more of a challenge.  Do any of you know of any folks running any type of Ford sedans ?   1928 to 1934 sedans/vickies all have about the same frontal area.  The 33 Vickies like mine seem to have a bit better front grill slope, not sure if that will help. 

Am I dreaming or can this body style in Classic Class running High Boy no fenders break 200 ?

Maxton Mile and USFRA  130 and 150 clubs are my first goals.. Speed week for this year is not on my list that's 2009,,,  Like to run 3 or 4 of maxtons 5 events and then go to the Salt and try USFRA's  September event.

E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2008, 12:16:09 PM »
Cajon --

Could break 200, but probably not with an E/Gas motor.  The Classic E/Gas Altered record in the 2007 book is a Monza at 201+.  And I think they've gone faster since.  Your Vicky is not quite as slick.

Are you implying that a 2-door hood will not fit a Vicky because of grille location?

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Loose Goose-Terry#1

• Terry
  • When in doubt, GAS IT!
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2008, 12:59:04 PM »
 :-D When "Bench Racing" you can be just as fast as you want to be. You can even be half-fast and get away with it. :wink:
Terry
If I had it all to do over again...I would!

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2008, 10:13:19 PM »
Stan,  the 33 Vicky Hood and Grille is the same as the  3 window coupe and 5 window coupe as well as the 2 door and 4 door sedan,,, The Vicky is just a sportier version of the 2 door sedan with a more slopped swoopy rear.   The hoods, and grille on a 33 can interchange with a 1934 Ford as well... The 33 and 34  are more laid back than 32 and prior,,,

« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 11:14:04 PM by Cajun Kid »
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2008, 12:21:09 PM »
Gotcha.

Thought you were implying that the Vicky had more slope than the other '33 models.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2008, 04:56:44 PM »
Stan,, If I could find a Grille I would send you a pic, my project is stalled waiting for a grille and a original style 4 piece hood.  Hoos should be here by here in two weeks.. Grille is 2 weeks late and no hope in sight to get one quick.

The slope of the back of the Vicky is a bit more than on the sedan ?  It may be optical illusion too ????
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2008, 10:25:51 PM »
Stan,, If I could find a Grille I would send you a pic, my project is stalled waiting for a grille and a original style 4 piece hood.  Hoos should be here by here in two weeks.. Grille is 2 weeks late and no hope in sight to get one quick.

The slope of the back of the Vicky is a bit more than on the sedan ?  It may be optical illusion too ????

33 bars have a curve in them, mostly at the bottom, whereas the

34 bars are straight.  You will see cars that have the opposite year grill in them, but the only way I personally can tell a 33 from a 34 is the grill shell and as you can see in the pictures they are close.

I'm trying to figure out if this truck I have is a '38 or 39 as the grills have a couple different similar shapes and I've seen guys claim different years for the same grill. Anyone know??  This truck will eventually haul the lakester to the salt,

Sum

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2008, 10:48:41 PM »
That one may need a little tweaking to get it going... looks like the frame is below ground level...  :-o  Get back to work on the lakester...  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2008, 10:56:02 PM »
Sum,  your truck appears to be a 38.  I think the 38 and 39 are the same.  But a friend of mine says the 39 has more convex shape than yours appears to have in the photo.

Your liner is looking good... My project is going ok... just some slow downs getting needed parts... but we are ready  to mock up the cage this week...

Keep up the good work.. I will see you at Maxton in May? (if your plans don't change)

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2008, 10:59:33 PM »
That one may need a little tweaking to get it going... looks like the frame is below ground level...  :-o  Get back to work on the lakester...  8-)

Here is when it was really underground and the friend in the picture and a couple others helped me dig it out ...............

.........................and winch it out with the jeep.........

.... we didn't even know the front-end was there until we started digging.

The Datsun with the small block might actually drive out of the shop tomorrow under it's own power.  Shaun and I worked on it today.  Yesterday I went to Colo. to get my engine parts from the machinist for the new motor for the GMC.  He said why don't we just put part of it together while you are here, so instead of coming home last night with parts I came home with a pretty much assembled short block minus the cam.  It took over 2 hours to drive 80 miles home last night in a blinding blizzard.  I am really tired of winter  :cry: .

Back to work on the lakester Monday,

Sum