Author Topic: Camping at the Bend in the Road  (Read 29155 times)

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
Re: Camping at the Bend in the Road
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2008, 08:35:07 PM »
I don't want to hijack this but I was reading the current Bonneville Racing News.  In it there is a piece by a person who says Bend in the Road is "unacceptable" and wants to be allowed to camp out on the salt.  I got the feeling that he is afraid his equipment will be stolen.  I reckon he has the same chance as I have of going 200.  Just curious to knowif anyone read the piece?
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2008, 08:55:13 PM »
The latest SCTA minutes state there will be no camping on the salt including the pit area. This is a BLM ruling.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2008, 10:06:56 PM »
........a piece by a person who says Bend in the Road is "unacceptable" and wants to be allowed to camp out on the salt.............

Well one less person in line  :-D.  Hooley and I were talking about this today and I said that even if we could camp out there I wouldn't, 12-14 hrs. a day is enough salt for me,

Sum

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2008, 11:18:29 PM »
we camp almost a mile from the bend---south on the canal---it is lonely and QUITE down there!!!!!!!!! :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2008, 11:41:09 PM »
I know the BLM forbid camping on the salt.  And its not something I have a problem with.  I was just curious to know if anyone else had seen the article.  I can imagine what would happen if camping was allowed on the salt.  A king size El Mirage.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2008, 10:22:20 AM »
........a piece by a person who says Bend in the Road is "unacceptable" and wants to be allowed to camp out on the salt.............

Well one less person in line  :-D.  Hooley and I were talking about this today and I said that even if we could camp out there I wouldn't, 12-14 hrs. a day is enough salt for me,

Sum
Diddo....As much as I love the salt, I'm afraid I would turn into a canned ham if I didn't go back to town at night.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2008, 10:35:45 AM »
The first time I came to Bonneville,1978, we camped in the hills overlooking the salt flats,they called it scorpion flats I think. Can you still camp there?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 11:51:44 AM by fredvance »
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2008, 11:40:48 AM »
Officially, I don't know.  But there's still campers at Scorpion Flats.

Sparky -- It's quite what?

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2008, 11:50:42 AM »
The first time I came to Benneville,1978, we camped in the hills overlooking the salt flats,they called it scorpion flats I think. Can you still camp there?
Who would know ?
In 1989 there was an LSR event on the salt that had 14,000 or so spectators , and most of them camped at the rock quarry.
I was the only person there with a short hair cut, no hair on my face, no tattoos, all my teeth, no limp, no hunting knife, and a white shirt, including the women.
The undercover cops that were all over, mostly entertained each other, with nothing else to do.
Just don't feature a bad act, and the doors will stay open.
The only person who went to the slam was the underage daughter of the waitress at the Salt Flats Cafe.
They moved her to a Dairy Farm in Wisconsin to spend a little time growing up.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2008, 12:11:33 PM »
Jack, ask Marlo about his honeymoon tent, and how it blew away...............  p.s. the marriage didn't last.................... :-D
Bob Drury

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2008, 12:52:02 PM »
Racing is first, followed by marriage, followed by creature comforts.
Sometimes they don't all mix, but at least keep them in order anyway.
 :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Loose Goose-Terry#1

• Terry
  • When in doubt, GAS IT!
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2008, 12:46:20 PM »
 :roll: You can email jonking@frontiernet.net if you want to find out more about his proposal to camp on the salt flats.
I guess it might be something to consider but it would take a bunch more security.  :wink: What about fireworks and keeping people from getting tanked up and taking their cars or bikes for a "midnight spin" down the salt? :-o
I don't think all aspects of the situation have been clearly thought through yet. :wink:
Terry
If I had it all to do over again...I would!

Offline audrey93

• New folks
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2009, 11:01:31 AM »
As the "Potentate of Porta-Potties" I'd like to ask for a show of hands from those of you thinking about camping at or near the Bend in the Road at SpeedWeek '08.  As you may have noticed, two years ago we stationed one porta-potty at the Bend, and last year we put a couple of them there.  Gee, whiz -- they were popular as all get-out, and I got thanked by lots of folks for them being there.  Don't thank only me, don't thank only SCTA -- thank BLM for suggesting that we address the need to keep the area there a little more clean.

So -- who'd planning on staying there?  Maybe if I get some idea of how many -- maybe I can requisition more than just one or two, maybe I can put one here, two there, and another one someplace else in the area.  I'd offer a hand-washing station, but those have pretty small reservoirs of clean water -- likely would almost always be empty when you tried to use it.  Take your own wash water and some Purel to kill off the worst of the cooties.

On a similar subject -- if we find there'll be enough campers we might even consider stationing a trash roll-off at the Bend.  If it's there -- will you folks promise to use it, to make our investment worthwhile?

Post here and let me know.  Regards.  For what it's worth, it was -12F overnight here.  No mosquitoes in sight!

Well even if I am not a Potentate of Porta-Potties, I'd also like to ask for a show of hands from those of you thinking about camping at or near the Bend in the Road at SpeedWeek '08?

« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 11:07:33 AM by Seldom Seen Slim »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2009, 11:09:29 AM »
Audrey93, with all due respect -- I think that most of the folks that were thinking of either camping -- or not camping -- at the Bend in the Road in '08 -- have already done so.  It's already 2009.

And -- since this is a website where we like to respect one another's boundaries -- I've removed the link to the commercial website that you put in your post.  If you'd like to advertise here you're welcome to contact me directly to discuss rates.

Best wishes --

Jon
Owner, landracing.com
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook