Author Topic: Speedweek race fees  (Read 17539 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: Speedweek race fees
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2008, 10:45:24 PM »
I might be naive about this but I don't believe that SCTA is trying to get rich off of the entrants.  I feel their fees are based on what they feel they need to take in to make the event not only possible in any given year, but in the event it is weathered out a couple times in a row.  I want them to stay ahead of the money game so that there will be a guarantee that the event will continue.

Therefore I'll pay what they ask and not try and second guess them.  If you race it is expensive and there is no way around that and the entry fee like has been mentioned is a small part of the total expense.

c ya,

Sum

The entry fee seems ok, BUT $300 for a class change???  DOUBLED!  For $100 more I could just enter another bike.
Don't get me wrong....I am bitching

Bill

Changing classes with the basic same vehicle is considered to be bad form, and has had the title of "Class Jumping" associated with it.
It is in the same league as not *funning enough % Nitro to be considered a real fueler.
I suspect the fees reflect that opinion rather than additional costs. :-(

* Spelled the way I want it.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 10:59:20 PM by JackD »
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline desotoman

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2008, 11:11:02 PM »

The entry fee seems ok, BUT $300 for a class change???  DOUBLED!  For $100 more I could just enter another bike.

Bill

Think about what you just said. .......................

If everyone that entered a car or bike to run at Bonneville changed classes that would effectively double the number of entrants. Besides just because you have initally entered to run, why should you get a break on the price to change classes. If I were to bring two different vehicles up to run at Bonneville I don't get a break on entry fees, I pay the full price for two vehicles. Why shouldn't you? In my eyes changing class with one vehicle is no different than running two different vehicles, yet you get a break on fees. Quit your bitching.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

racin jason

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2008, 11:50:18 PM »

Bill

If everyone that entered a car or bike to run at Bonneville changed classes that would effectively double the number of entrants. Besides just because you have initally entered to run, why should you get a break on the price to change classes. If I were to bring two different vehicles up to run at Bonneville I don't get a break on entry fees, I pay the full price for two vehicles. Why shouldn't you? In my eyes changing class with one vehicle is no different than running two different vehicles, yet you get a break on fees. Quit your bitching.

Tom G.

Tom ,

Let's run the numbers and see who you would want if you ran the show.

Enter one class and make 14 runs over 7 days the total cost to enter $435

Now  enter one vehicle make 8 runs(2 per class/4classes total) The total cost to enter $1340.

The class jumper makes 40% less passes and pays three times as much as one class Charlie.

The $150 class change fee was acceptable as the cost of a possible additional trophy must be covered.

But $300 seems a little steep.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 11:53:06 PM by racin jason »

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2008, 11:53:02 PM »
Revenue generated by class changing has a higher return on investment than an initial entry, with the same number of vehicles, or so I am told. :wink:

NOTE TO JASON: Quit reading my lines ! :-D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 11:56:03 PM by JackD »
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline WildBro

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2008, 12:10:33 AM »

Bill

Tom G.
Sorry Tom, but think about what you said..................

If everyone that entered changed classes,  it would effectively be the same amount of vehicles and if everyone did the amount of runs they would normally do (just doing some runs in a different class) then there is no change to the number of vehicles down the course.
By running 2 vehicles and one rider/driver, both vehicles go through staging together.  Rider takes 1st vehicle down, comes back, takes 2nd vehicle down, and goes to the back of the line(or impound).  If class change on one vehicle, one run, then back of line.

'07 Speedweek I did 14 runs in one class.  How would this effect you or anyone if I ran 8 in one class and 6 in another? (A number change, paper work and re-inspection, jutifying a class change fee half (or less) of the entry fee.) Now if I had a 2nd bike running then we are looking at almost 28 runs, and justifying 2 entry fees.

aka: Tenno Celeritas

racin jason

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2008, 12:12:36 AM »
Yeah what Jack said! :-)

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2008, 12:43:26 AM »
i was told that the trophy costs 200 dollars and most racers who change classes usually set the record and got a 200 dollar trophy for 150 dollars now that trophy will cost you 300 dollars--if that is true then its o k with me --i think that most people will probibly concentrate on one class   probibly what i will do   just some thoughts  willie buchta

racin jason

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2008, 01:25:33 AM »
 additional trophies were available for $150 the last time i ordered one.

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2008, 02:49:24 AM »
 :-o  Jason, You don't have enough trophy's? That's not what I hear!!!

Larry    :-D
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2008, 02:50:47 AM »
Business sense provides the option to have each class entered at Bonneville or event results from El Mirage, combined onto 1 trophy, and thus save the money that more hardware would represent.
Trophy sponsors have been available that can be listed on the tag, and absorb some of the costs.
I have a bunch of those, and some are even sponsored by member clubs..

NEVER MIND
 I was just reminded by Sami that racer money has replaced all that.  :?

Offline dick elliott

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2008, 02:57:08 AM »
Thats dirt cheap!!!! You should try road racing with SCCA! Its that much every race.

I just read the club minutes and it looks like the speedweek entry fee is going up to $400 and the class change doubled to $300.

Its better to be a has been, than a never was.

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2008, 06:44:54 AM »
I Reckon this one trip in 09 will cost including the Building of the Bike, Race Fees, RV hire, Food drink, Air Fares the works will cost somewhere in the region of £10,000-£12,000 or $24,000 so the $400 for the oportunity to race at Bonneville seems reasonable if not cheep to me! If it was $4000 I might have to think about it a bit, but I reckon thats why God gave you 2 Kidneys.

Oz
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2008, 10:18:43 AM »
I reckon thats why God gave you 2 Kidneys.

At last a true racer has spoken. If you haven't sawed off a cast to go racing . . .

Note the signature line.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2008, 10:41:34 AM »
I'm not going to open a new topic for this, but would appreciate it if someone can give me the answer to my question.

I have the dates for SpeedWeek '08, including tech day, but for World Finals the SCTA site only shows 8-11 October -- no specified date for tech.  When is tech at World Finals '08?

I'm trying to get all of the dates correct so Nancy can put in for time off for the entire season, and we need to know this one little bit of data.  Somebody know?  Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2008, 10:46:24 AM »
I reciently made a racing business trip to England and the exchange rate was very near 2 to 1.
After payinng $650 American for a cab ride, I am beginning to understand better their attraction to kidney pie. 8-)