Author Topic: Canopy Dimensions  (Read 5073 times)

Offline interested bystander

Re: Canopy Dimensions
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 08:01:18 PM »
A comment on canopies- Many WISE statements have aldeady been made, but DON'T CHEAP OUT on getting a distortion free one.

Like the HANS device, and I'm tired of having to discuss its' IMPORTANCE with cheapskates, It may be CRITICAL on you being able to effectively drive the race course!

I'll bet many who are dead or maimed were, as well, cheap.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 08:50:18 PM »
If plexiglass breaks it can form some pretty nasty knifelike shards. On the other hand it's almost impossible to break lexan. Try taking a strip of each and try bending each to the point of breaking. You may never use plexi again.

Pete

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2008, 09:58:55 PM »
Sum
I don't have any close up photos, but will get some early next week.  Rear end work is progressing and I need to refit body panels.  Most of the body parts are in "COLD" storage in my trailer at the storage lot.  Not far away but just enough that I don't go there on a daily basis.  Plus it's almost 0 degrees F and I'm inside doing computer and office stuff....

You mean you won't go out in 0 degree weather for me, I'm hurt  :cry: .  No hurry do it when you get a chance and if anyone else wants to contribute to how they handled the junction between the body and canopy and wants to send me pictures I'll add them to my site for future builders.

c ya,

Sum

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2008, 11:23:12 PM »
Ricks canopy is well done because he has done an excellent job of transition from the flat plane of the lexan windscreen to the top of his car. Again some of the very best information regarding canopys is in "The Leading Edge". There is also good information regarding the lay back angle of a streamlined object as it is integrated into the body of a car, i.e. a canopy. So although Rick has done a great job on the transition from the windscreen to the top additional fairing at the transition from the front of the car to the windscreen would probably be an improvement. The joint that is made at the lower junction of the windscreen and the body will generate vorticies that will trail down the sides of the upper body and can possibly cause the boundry layer to become unattached. This condition is discussed in several chapters of "The Leading Edge" and deserves close reading for cars that have limited hp.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2008, 11:39:38 PM »
What the bottom line is . . .AVOID horsehoe vortices!

5 mph in pit area (clothed)