Author Topic: New Guy with a Question about Leathers  (Read 9159 times)

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
Re: New Guy with a Question about Leathers
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2008, 04:14:49 AM »
bottom line.
you need new leathers.
call vanson.
spend the money..
quit crying.
next queston.

The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2008, 10:15:07 AM »
Leathers for SCTA or USFRA events must have NO cloth/fabric insert area as lots of the newer sets have and minimal vent holes in armpit,behind knee.

Mine had "minimal" vent holes, (not in the armpit or behind knee) about 1/16" diameter and I had to seal them with black silicone sealer.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline RayKimbro

• Go fast, be safe - don't mess up
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2008, 12:58:21 PM »
bottom line.
you need new leathers.
call vanson.
spend the money..
quit crying.
next queston.

He doesn't necessarily need new leathers - the rules would permit him to have all leather patches sewn on over any areas of perforation. 
"Spend the money - quit crying"?  Helpful advice..... NOT.

Don't BS on the track - that's what the internet is for.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2008, 02:09:37 PM »
call amanda at Speed sport in tulsa ok she does all of my repairs and has done several lsr modifications...she is also highly recomended by most of the leather dist's for repairs...i strongly...repeat "strongly" advise against cheep single stiched chineese or pakastani leathers or old leathers that have dried rotted stitching....1 injury has and can continue to effect all of us

Offline RayKimbro

• Go fast, be safe - don't mess up
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 09:05:09 AM »
What that 1212 guy said - I wholeheartedly second - don't get cheap on the only thing you've got to keep your skin intact - you can save $$ by getting "closeout" racing-quality leathers, or buying a used set, but, don't get "cheap" protective gear.

I've been a satisfied customer of NewEnough  - their website is: http://www.newenough.com
Usual caveats apply - no affiliation, they've just been good to me.

Ray
Don't BS on the track - that's what the internet is for.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 11:10:08 AM »
Speaking of protecting one's hide -- I've worn a Kevlar shirt under my leathers for years, and the company that makes the shirt has now introduced Kevlar pants, too.  The company is "DragginJeans, and the website is www.dragginjeans.com  I've got two pairs of pants and a shirt on order -- so both Nancy and I will have the full set.  About $300 for shirt and pants -- a heck of a lot more than that for skin grafts from nasty cases of road rash.

As for the shirt -- the weave is just coarse enough that sweat soaks into the fabric/is wicked away from my skin.  The coarse weave allows the air to get in there and evaporate the sweat.  You'll usually see me walking around the staging lines at Bville wearing the long-sleeve shirt -- and you'll notice that I'm not sweating visibly.  Great stuff.  Wear 'em under your leathers and add another layer of protection.

No, I'm not an agent for the company and don't have any financial interest -- but dang, do they work well.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 12:26:41 PM »
SSS what is the intended protective properties of Kevlar in this application? Is it merely abrasion? The Nomax(?) or other such is intended as fire protection is it not? Do either/any do it all, fire, abrasion & wicking? (girls want it all don'tcha know!)

Deb
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2008, 12:46:35 PM »
This just looked like a good place to put a small but possibly relevant picture book(concerning fit, type, use, etc).
As JackD reminds us, "Twice the cost, does not guarentee twice the safety".
Twice the forethought can though!

No dummies were harmed in the making of this picture book,
Todd
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 12:48:28 PM by narider »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2008, 02:01:48 PM »
I don't know about the cooling attributes of Nomex.  I wear the Kevlar for the abrasion-resistant properties.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2008, 02:05:42 PM »
See there, now I got it !
Start with a small rider !
Note the he areas of abrasion damage to the outfit with particular note to the back bone that often has the least physical protection , but can cause a lot of the damage.
LSR is a little different animal because even in a fire, the rider is reluctant to part company with the ride and stopping first is a looong process.
Other forms of MC racing want the friction of the materials to bring them to a quick stop if they are on the ground because they want to minimize the speed before they hit the wall etc.
LSR, often features longer slides, and higher speeds.
It is the responsibility of the rulers to be sure they fully understand all they can , and from all the resources available , before they decide something that is supposed to be in your best interest.
Do a search around this extensive resource and freshen up on your exposure to a number of experiences, some better than others.

"Tradition, unhampered by progress can hurt everybody." (me)

And another thing, "Girls that wear glasses, shouldn't make passes." (me)  :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2008, 04:05:47 PM »
I hijacked this from the Helmet thread as it seemed more relevant here:
john wore the nomex even before the fire
Are we speaking of Minono ?

That's interesting. So if he had the nomex on, which is meant to protect from fire burns, the nomex then did nothing to prevent the fire heating the sweat turning into steam burns. Did I understand that correctly?

So if we add nomex for fire protection then we've increased our risk of steam burns by going to the all bull rule. So maybe we also need a layer of wicking for the sweat? And the Kevlar is for abrasion.

I really am trying to take this all in to learn from it & make the right choices for me but you know, by the time I figure it out & get out there with all the extra added safety gear I'm going to look like the Michelin tire man again!  :cry:

Deb

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2008, 04:22:26 PM »
BTW Todd, thanks for posting those crash dummy pics. They're definitely relevant here!

For those of you newbies that don't know, that's me after I went slipping & sliding down the concrete at Maxton last May. And despite what Jack says, I saw the cone just fine! So much so I just couldn't take my eyes off of it!  :-o

I was wearing a back protector vest rather then the in suit back protection and it most definitely saved my hide. You can clearly see the spine area & there are holes worn through the leather on the front as well but I was protected by the chest protection portion of the vest. The gear did its job & the back protector vest was the only thing unharmed! Although I think I am going to upgrade it this year as I've found one that's even better & a level 2 CAE certification as well.

I did suffer a rub burn on my arm, which looked like road rash, but was caused by the arm of the suit being too large. It was able to twist around my arm and rashed open a section of my arm about 6" x 2". It healed in a week & was no big deal but why not avoid it if you can!

Don't want anyone to think we're morbid in here. We openly share the trashed suit via DeeDee the race dummy so that others can benefit from what we learned. If anyone wants to see any portions of that suit in better definition just say the word & we'll get some shots.

(fyi my only other injury was a broken collarbone & I don't think that one's so easy to avoid other then not falling off! lol)

Deb

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2008, 05:08:37 PM »
Minono has stated the nature of the injury here before and has taken suitable measures to avoid the problem in the future.
I shall put him in touch with you and I expect you will publish the results of your findings from a knowledgeable position, as you have in the past.

NOTE TO DEB: I didn't say you couldn't see the cone, it was more of a comment on the delay in the thought process.  :-D
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline wolbrink471

• Wolbrink Race
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2008, 05:14:15 PM »

(fyi my only other injury was a broken collarbone & I don't think that one's so easy to avoid other then not falling off! lol)

Deb

Sorta a sick take on things, but when all of you look around at your 'friends', how many have even/balanced/matching shoulders???

Mark

'just a comment from the cheap seats'
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 05:18:19 PM by wolbrink471 »
more information about the World's Fastest Dirt Bike at...... www.wolbrinkrace.com

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2008, 08:58:13 PM »
In regards to Minono, he started wearing the nomex after the burn?
That would make sense but now I'm confused.  :oops:

NOTE TO DEB: I didn't say you couldn't see the cone, it was more of a comment on the delay in the thought process.  :-D

Jack, again I beg to differ, see now the thought process was clear and complete albeit flawed.
It basically went like this, oh shit there's a cone, I'm going to hit the cone.... guess what came next!  :-D

We've since worked on the thought process & retraining the brain that when we see a cone to look elsewhere.
I think the shock therapy is working...
zzzttt zzztttt ztttt....

Mark,
 Since the big oopsie I've discovered just how common an injury this is amongst us nutty 2 wheelers.
I thought I was going to get away with the new more streamlined me, but of course, even though the
surgery is still somewhat uncommon, I had to do that too! I just wouldn't be me if I was like everyone
else! LOL

Deb