Author Topic: New Guy with a Question about Leathers  (Read 9157 times)

Offline Timecycles

• New folks
New Guy with a Question about Leathers
« on: January 24, 2008, 11:43:31 AM »
Good morning - This is my first post and this year will be my first trip to the salt. I am building a 39 Triumph 500 cc to race in the vintage class. There is a lot to learn and a lot of work in the shop but it is pretty exciting to be on a new project. I do have a question about leathers and would appreciate any input. I understand that leathers must be single suit or two piece zipped together but the "all leather" does pose a question. Can the leathers have venting or expansion panels made of a man made fabric? Many of the leathers I have looked at are made for racing (street racing maybe) and have some fabric at the joints or around the arms. Any comments will be much appreciated - Regards.

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
Re: New Guy with a Question about Leathers
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 11:57:21 AM »
fabric at the joints or around the arms. Any comments will be much appreciated - Regards.
And I'm betting you're going to get some :-) Welcome to the pasture!

Would love to see pics of your bike btw.
Todd

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 12:27:39 PM »
Welcome, always good to see new faces. I am pretty new myself and asked the same question, the answer is 100% leather. awhile back someone (Jon Minnano)had a fire and got burned pretty bad and the non leather parts made it worse,hence the 100% leather rule.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Timecycles

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 12:30:17 PM »
My apologies - I didn't do a search on the topic before posting. It seems this is a problem others before me have encountered. Any updates?
Thanks for the welcome Todd - I will post some pictures as soon as I can. - Regards

Offline Timecycles

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 12:33:57 PM »
Thanks fredvance - the leathers may pose a bit of a problem - no worries we are committed! Regards

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 12:44:51 PM »
Last year I bought a set of leathers that had cloth panels in the armpit, crotch, and behind the knees.  Also the chest area was highly perforated.   I showed them to Tom at an El Mirage meet and his suggestion was to "glue" leather patches over the cloth area and to usw a "smear" of silicon over the perfs. and all would be well.  I bought some leather and the leatherman suggested a glue called Leather Weld.  Looks like wood glue but clings like a bad name.  I took a spreader and skimmed a coat of silicone over the perfs. and got my metal button without a hitch.  If your leathers have cloth panels don't spend a fortune getting someone to sew patches for you.  Do it yourself with glue and have a few more bucks to spend on the bike.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 12:54:32 PM »
I did alot of looking around on line(ebay),asked questions and figured out that if you are in it for the long run,the way to go is with custom made leathers.I drug out my old road race leathers,called the people who made them(Vanson) and they can let them out, seems like I have grown a bit thru the years. Good luck. Looking forward to the pics of your bike. FRED
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 02:24:22 PM »
You can find close to scta spec leathers on ebay regularly, they will be used, but usable and usually a $130 or so.  Perforation vents have been allowed if the area can be covered by your palm.  But it is always inspectors choice if he will pass them so the easy way is cover up.  Of course we also learned this year that leather will not protect you from burns if you have a fire, most wear carbonX or nomex underwear...  :-o
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 02:34:25 PM »
Maybe if you show up in techline with it on and sweating enough(possibly throw water on your face), then they will be thought to be of purebred hefer origin? I do find it odd that it's cow and not bull that is required though.
Todd

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 02:59:59 PM »
Maybe if you show up in techline with it on and sweating enough(possibly throw water on your face), then they will be thought to be of purebred hefer origin? I do find it odd that it's cow and not bull that is required though.
Todd

Don't forget the steers..............

........they probably wish someone would of forgotten them........

Sum

Offline WildBro

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 03:11:58 PM »
Todd

That's funny Todd  :-D
No longer the all cow rule but will be known as the ALL BULL rule
I never knew you were that witty.

Here's a pic I have on my web site,  No all bull there.

I really wish they would let us wear normal race leather and just add CarbonX unders.

Bill
aka: Tenno Celeritas

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 06:16:21 PM »
Timecycles.Leathers for SCTA or USFRA events must have NO cloth/fabric insert area as lots of the newer sets have and minimal vent holes in armpit,behind knee. It was indeed as a result of John's fire BUT--- he was burnt as a result of steam generated from his own sweat and not from any venting perforations and fabric areas. Heat applied to outside of leathers transferred through and flashed sweat to steam. He has even come on here and explained all of that but the rules folks took none of our knowledable input,thus the "all Cow" rule.
I have had good luck getting sets that fit those rules on both eBay and Craigslist. Just need to look for an older or non roadrace set.
Course,at Bub's you can wear what you want.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline Timecycles

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 06:31:36 PM »
Thanks for all your input guys - Regards Timecycles

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 10:36:46 PM »
The Bull rule... Todd, that is pretty funny stuff, can be applied to several of the bike rules, but really gives the cow thing a new spin.  The guy that was burned this year was in his bull suit... still got some bad leg burns.   :-o
The Bull rule, I like it...  :-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 02:49:00 AM »
You guys must be a gang  huh ? :wink:
The rule you mention is popularly known as the "OLD BULL RULE".
This is only a near quote as I remember, but it is from one of the rulers.
I have the exact words in my archives, but you will get the picture.
"I don't have time for such foolishness as on Landracing.com."
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"