Author Topic: Rear end efficiency  (Read 65332 times)

Offline interested bystander

Re: Rear end efficiency
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2010, 12:19:32 AM »
Peter J
Real good advice!

As far as ring and pinion selection is concerned it appears that the farther the pinion is from the c/l of the ring gear the more power it takes. So a worm gear would be worst. I'm not disputing this, but. . .

"How much difference will it make on your time slip?"

Any real race documentation??????  Anywhere???? Anyhow???? No lies, no BS.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 12:34:18 AM by interested bystander »
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline John Burk

« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2010, 01:35:38 AM »
Johnneilson wrote

"I think Strange is making an aluminum center section to fit into the Ford 9in housing that takes GM 12 bolt gears. The 12 bolt gear CL is closer than the Ford.
Anyone with experience on this"?

They're bugger to get clearance for a 2 series pinion . You grind right through and need to weld plates over the windows . The front bearing bore needs to be honed so it drops out to be able to snake out the pinion . They said they had no plans to make a Bonneville friendly housing when I asked . Spools for 2 series gears need to be custom made . Summers made mine .

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2010, 08:24:27 AM »
it's just more efficient and more reaches the track
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2010, 07:28:43 PM »
JohnBurk,
Have a Strange 12 bolt in my possesion for a drag race project. The collective mind in NHRA Comp Eliminator seems to put its approval on it . Time will tell in our case.

Nice casting, though, Had to make a new adaptor for lineup bar.

Offline Freud

« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2010, 10:08:11 PM »
I B, I'm not surprised that you have a Strange rear end, butt admitting it. That's something else .............

I can visualize you at a bar lineup but not a lineup bar. You are so spacey.

Have you had your Strange rear end line reamed or center punched?

I've been told, there is very little power lost or gained.

What lubricant do you use with your Strange rear end?

When did you started drinking, again?

FREUD
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 10:30:01 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline racergeo

« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2010, 10:39:50 PM »
  Freud, I might see you this friday and you can give me an explaination of that last post, from an engineering stand point of course. LOL

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2010, 10:43:46 PM »
Have you had your Strange rear end line reamed or center punched?
FREUD

when I was about 22 I worked in a job as an animal anaestheiologist( I think that's what you guys call it)...the surgeon was an interesting bloke who'd been a railway fitter and turner in his younger years , he had an unheard joke every day of the year and a great deadpan demeanour ...he went to church but also swore like no-body you'd ever heard....he'd make you wince with his application sometimes..........

He had a stock standard  answer to most requests I made of him and it was

"How would you like it ?....punched,bored or reamed"

Just like the old one about the Actress and the Bishop it could be applied in any number of contexts...that was the genius of it, ever so occasionally it would have "and" substituted for "or".
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2010, 11:19:53 PM »
Dr F, just back tracked to this topic and noticed your STRANGE response.

Re; my return to alcohol - I had pretty  well dried out, but 'couple weeks ago I managed to cop a FREE lunch with a couple old salt geezers and they insisted I imbibe.

Not my fault!

Offline fastman614

« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2011, 11:14:49 PM »
Okay now.... resurrecting this topic from many months ago..... I have been looking for some rear end gears for a 9" Ford that are in between 2.75 and 2.50 or 2.47 to 1...

I have recently been offered a center section from a pontiac/olds 57-64 vintage that is 2.69 to 1 ratio... apparently with 31 splines.... Well, obviously, it does not fit into a Ford 9" housing but .... other parts are available as well as narrow axle shafts, Ford 9" axle housing ends etc....  the question that I have is where on earth a person will find pinion offset information for rear ends.... like Ford 9" is 2.25" below axle centerline.... Chev 12 bolt is, i think, 1.5" below axle centerline..... what is an Olds rear end pinion centerline below axle centerline?.... is there some place on the internet where this information exists?

The theory is to replace the complete rear axle assembly.... but.... with a 2" long drive shaft.... I NEED very little difference on the transmission centerline to the pinion centerline.... thus the question....
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2011, 12:25:46 AM »
Are you checking Lincolns?  9 3/8" r&p (5x5 bolt pattern) should work also? 

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pts/2276949703.html

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline salt27

« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2011, 01:09:55 AM »
Fastman,
Check post #18, it does not give the measurement you request but it might help.

Don

Offline John Burk

« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2011, 02:10:52 AM »
Fastman

Dana 30 & 60 --- 1 1/8"
Toyota 8 --- 1 1/4"
8.8 , Dana 44 , 12 bolt , Toyota 20 , GM 9.5 & 10.5 14 bolt --- 1 1/2"
Dana 35 --- 1 5/8"
10 bolt --- 1 3/4"
9" --- 2 1/4"

If anybody disagrees with Dana 30 being 1 1/8" let me know .

Offline fastman614

« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2011, 06:47:01 AM »
In answer to some of you.... John, Thanx for that.... but does the GM info cover the 57 to 64 Olds differential?

And Mike- in regards to Lincoln diffs.... I have checked what I can....and so far, there is no mention or hint gears with ratios in between 2.75 and 2.5 to which I can find any reference.

My wish list is for a 2.68 ratio, a 2.62 ratio and  a 2.56 ratio for a Ford 9".... and with the Ford 2.25" offset .... now i know that if I spent thousands of dollars, i could have them made but.... if I did spend the money, I would probably not be racing for a few years....

Richmond Gear makes increments like that from 2.80 all the way down into the 7.XXs but NOT higher than that.

Offline fastman614

« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2011, 06:49:34 AM »
Olds/Pontiacs have a higher pinion placement than the Ford or non pumpkin GM making them more efficient. Their highest available axle ratio is 2.56. They are alot more than the $20 they used to be....JD

JD.... do you know the actual pinion offset dimension?

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2011, 07:26:10 AM »
Fastman, the gear ratios are why I gave up worrying about the most efficient rear end, and went with a Champ QC.

I think the hp loss, if any, can be offset by the availability of the gear ratios.

At least that's what I keep telling myself!

...besides, John Burk once told me "The friction loss at Bonneville for any type rear is 1% - 1.5% . Use what fits best or has the best ratios ." :wink:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 07:33:52 AM by 38flattie »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c