Author Topic: Boost Retard in Vintage Classes  (Read 4640 times)

Offline saltracer1

Boost Retard in Vintage Classes
« on: January 03, 2008, 07:00:08 PM »
Is boost retard "legal" in the vintage classes? Particully blown flathead modified roadster. What I'm talking about is the MSD electronic unit.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Re: Boost Retard in Vintage Classes
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 07:46:00 PM »
Welcome!  Are you also on the MSN Flathead forum?

Change in the rules for 2007, says, in part concerning vintage engines: "Any ignition system may be used."

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline saltracer1

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 08:00:27 PM »
two flathead forums and the HAMB. Got our old car back and we are re-doing everything.

dwarner

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 09:08:55 AM »
If you plan to use a flathead in a roadster a turbo is still not allowed. If your turbo flathead is in any other non-vintage(post 1948) body the boost control is OK. I am not familiar with the use of auto retard on a roots blown engine, is this done?

DW

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 09:45:19 AM »
A simple vacuum advance is a boost retard that is not likely to be outlawed soon. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

dwarner

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 09:51:58 AM »
Yeah Jack, but it doesn't have a fancy red box around it and two new stickers.

DW

Offline Don Brent

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 12:42:36 PM »
I am not sure about your case but was told several years ago that I could not run a MSD timing computer on my flathead modified roadster and I took it off.  The box is different from what you are considering but the idea is much the same.  I wanted to use it to advance the timing (I was unblown using a crank trigger.) and you want to retard the timing.  Both are Red boxes that electrically use a input signal to control timing so fall outside the exception for data collection.  Probably not a big deal but I would count on at least one person I can think of putting up the $100.  I think you will lose.  Good luck, Don
Don

Someday I have to give up on flatheads.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 02:18:29 PM »
Yeah Jack, but it doesn't have a fancy red box around it and two new stickers.

DW
[/quote   HUMMMM.I feel a merchandising moment coming on.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 06:32:15 PM »
MSD 6AL boxes, Electromotive, etc are common place on vintage engines in vintage classes today. I'm not familiar with which MSD box was not allowed according to Don. Might be the 7 series and above.

As far as I know, something cannot be used which would be controlled by something else on the engine like the EFI adjusting by an O2 sensor. If the retard is set by RPM it has been allowed. Once the setting is in the "box" it happens when told and does not self adjust.

I would contact the guys who are running Blown flatheads and ask them...Good Luck 
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 06:44:09 PM »
FWIW: from www.roadrunnerengineering.com who does street (mainly) blowers for flatheads:

Ignition Timing For Optimum Power and Economy
There is an optimum ignition timing for every combination of engine, fuel & operating condition. As blower and cylinder pressure go up, the engine needs less advance for peak power, so retarding the ignition is a good thing for power under boost. Retarding the ignition timing, either manually or automatically, is also often desirable to decrease detonation tendencies on supercharged engines, especially when using lower octane fuel. MSD (P/N 5462 or 6462) & others, provide automatic electronic boost retard modules for any ignition. Unfortunately, it is difficult to determine optimum settings without a dyno, so be conservative!

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline rebelce

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 09:58:26 AM »
"As far as I know, something cannot be used which would be controlled by something else on the engine like the EFI adjusting by an O2 sensor. If the retard is set by RPM it has been allowed. Once the setting is in the "box" it happens when told and does not self adjust. "

I think we need to find out what the SCTA calls a computer.   Just because it says "Timing computer" on the label, doesn't mean it really is.  We have "Turbo" aftershave, some things are just marketing verbage.

What would be the best way to determine this?

Offline 4sfed

• New folks
    • http://www.autocomponenti.com
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 11:51:00 PM »
Is boost retard "legal" in the vintage classes? Particully blown flathead modified roadster. What I'm talking about is the MSD electronic unit.

The Corvair turbo had a boost retard diaphragm.  It looked like a vacuum advance from the outside, but inside the spring was on the other side of the diaphragm.  Shouldn't be hard to make one . . . all mechanical, vintage legal.

-Jim