Author Topic: I know it isn't smart....but?  (Read 10625 times)

dwarner

Re: I know it isn't smart....but?
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2008, 09:29:19 AM »
Oh yeah - little kids, unsupervised by Bud drinking parents will run right out in front of you without looking.
Same thing as happens in your neighborhood. There was and incident a few years ago, during a race meet, where some kid blasted past the patrols and ran into the side of a race car at speed. The parents were off somewhere else.

DW

DW

Offline RIFLEMAN

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2008, 04:22:57 AM »
 And from what I heard,sued the SCTA AND WON! Don't know all the details,might've been a settlement to make the scumbags crawl back under their rock(doesn't anyone believe in letting Darwin apply?),I don't know,but I do know that the SCTA paid.
I'll keep my FREEDOM,myGUNS and my MONEY. YOU can keep the CHANGE!

Offline Bville701

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2008, 01:54:56 PM »
I've also heard that Dwayne McKinney in the #42 Sundowner back in the 80's had to pull the chute and stop his run in order not to hit a kid on a dirt bike running accross the course. I've heard plenty of these stories. It has gotten much better up there over the past years though. Thanks to all the volunteers the sport has.  :-)
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2008, 02:15:47 PM »
Hey Falcon Flyer, :-D

Remember what you learned early on as a jet driver: "The sky even greater than the sea is most unforgiving of even the slightest mistake". Add to that mantra about going fast while others are jerkin around the area. Ya can't turn the airspeed into altitude anymore to get safer. Well, that goes for the land speed gig for certain. The forward 180 degrees are all potential problems and none of them have IFFs that work properly. :roll:

Richard Thomason and Ed Tradup (Danny Boy) have preached for years that if for any reason you have a potential problem, click it early and get the chute out. Much safer and easier to make another run than stack it up. :-o

Be careful and remember the head swivel awareness that has kept you alive this long! 8-)

Regards,
HB2 :-)

If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Super Kaz

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2008, 07:55:11 PM »
I have decided to let Willie live. :-D

The Student is now teaching! Good Job Willie :wink:!Don't Do it Please for the rest of our sake :mrgreen: !

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2008, 11:08:31 PM »
As someone who is rumored to have tested mid-week at ELM let me offer a couple of tidbits of "advice". 

Get some cones from George and mark off your path.  It is REALLY easy to lose track of where you are headed out there.  While doing this be sure to look at the course.  It's amazing what a teeeny leetle rut will do to your race car at 130mph.

Don't run your race rubber.  Run high speed street stuff that can stand the occasional nail or broken Bud bottle.

And last of all... COMPLETELY SUIT UP, HAVE ALL YOUR FIRE BOTTLES ON BOARD AND PULL THOSE PINS!!!  What you are doing is more dangerous than racing, even at "only" 100mph.  Even if your entire crew is with you, there are no ambulances or emergency chopping saws available.  A number of times I have seen folks jump into their cars or onto their bikes wearing Levis and no helmet.  Saw one roll once at "only" 80 or so.  Driver had no helmet, just Levis and a shirt and didn't fasten his belts.  He was only mildly shaken up.  And he is VERY experienced LSR guy, and his thinking was he was "just" testing.

Like they used to say on Hill Street Blues, "Hey, hey... HEY!  Let's be careful out there."  There are better ways to chlorinate the gene pool.

J
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline mkilger

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2008, 12:31:18 PM »
What we would do(not saying any names) get 4or 5 trucks  with the lights on, face them so the driver or rider can see them, with cones out also and run down in the middle of them,and run from east to west  not into the sun all this is done at 6:30 7:00 in the AM on a tuesday. Theres something about nitro on a tuesday morning  I think its better than a cup of joe. Right John?? :-D