Author Topic: Where do I buy LSR or speed rated tires  (Read 14665 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Where do I buy LSR or speed rated tires
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 11:50:49 AM »
SUM,,  you know your gear ratios.. Yes 700R4 built for 600 HP 600 Ft. Lbs TQ.  In a light car with 550HP I hope I am ok.  If I am correct  your tranny and mine both have the same  1 to 1 ratio in third ?  I too a will use 28" tires...If  use only third gear I will need gears around 270,  with 4th. gear I can use 321 to 355 and be ok.

I would like to plan on using 4th gear.

FYI -  TCI has a neat new Constant Preasure Valve Body for the 700R4... If you have a beefed up tranny this new valve body and servo kit will make a world of differance and also keeps high line presure for real crisp shits and prevents damage from a poorly adjusted TV cable..

I would check with the builder and see if they feel good about that 600 HP going through 4th.  B'ville is not near as hard on the transmission as the drag strip and doesn't shock it like there, but still if you need 550/600 HP to run the speed you want to run all of that will be going through the 4th gear clutches and from what I know they are the week link.  I considered getting a better built 700 than what I have now, but since I wanted to make 650 HP I felt it would be marginal.  You might be just fine with the 550 HP level.

I have over 140,000 miles on the 700R4 in my truck now and love it but my current motor is probably a little under 300 HP.  Where I'm going with the motor I'm building now HP wise I felt better about the 4L80E.  I got it free, but the price went up from there with the rebuild/converter and yet to be bought controller.  For my driving I actually like the 700 better with the lower first gear and higher overdrive.  I'll go down from the 3.50 rear now to a 3.25-3.35 to keep the highway rpms where they are now.

I'm aware of the TCI valve body, but haven't talked to anyone that actually has used it.  I like my soft shifts that I have now when I'm not in the throttle.  I run TCI's lockup kit and recommend it all the time.  I have quite a bit of 700 info on my site along with how to install and adjust the TV cable here:

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/techinfo.html

Let me know if you find any V, Z, W, Y rated tires that are 28 inches high for hopefully 15 inch wheels or I guess 16 inch wheels.

c ya,

Sum

dwarner

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 12:22:13 PM »
Using the blown engine in the Alfa we twisted the front drive spine off two 4L80E transmissions. These were not stock being hopped up by John Kilgore. The 7004R worked fine with the smae engine in the Alfa and the lakester.

DW

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 12:51:09 PM »
SUM,  I have found several size choices in a H rated tire using 16" rims and a few Z rated... they are all a bit wider.. General Grabber  UHP  truck/suv tire. nice tread, nice sidewall design. also pirelli scorpions.

For rear tire width, I was told for the pavement keep width  in the 7" to 10"  range (width not as critical on pavement)  but for the salt "skinny" is better,,, somewhere in the 6" to 8" range.

Does that seem correct?
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 01:36:50 PM »
Using the blown engine in the Alfa we twisted the front drive spine off two 4L80E transmissions. These were not stock being hopped up by John Kilgore. The 7004R worked fine with the small engine in the Alfa and the lakester. DW

Dan do you know what year the 4L80E's were??  I've heard about some problems with the early 90's ones.  Mine is a '99.  I had it built for supposedly in the 700/750 hp range with the converter the same.  How much HP were you putting out.  Some guys are putting way over 1000 HP through some of the 80E's now, but they have added aftermarket hard parts that I haven't added.

SUM,  I have found several size choices in a H rated tire using 16" rims and a few Z rated... they are all a bit wider.. General Grabber  UHP  truck/suv tire. nice tread, nice sidewall design. also pirelli scorpions.

For rear tire width, I was told for the pavement keep width  in the 7" to 10"  range (width not as critical on pavement)  but for the salt "skinny" is better,,, somewhere in the 6" to 8" range.

Does that seem correct?

I agree with the tire widths for the pavement and salt you are talking about.  I would probably like the 7-8 inch range myself.  I'll check out the ones you mentioned.  I forgot to answer your other post about the HP and 700R4.  I think with the 500+ HP you are talking about you will be able to pull 4th after the 3-4 shift with no problems.  I wouldn't recommend it for a high speed car as you just don't want that 30 % drop when you are pushing a lot of air.  We are currently setup for just a 7 % drop on the 3-4 shift with Hooley's Stude.

c ya,

Sum

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 01:46:07 PM »
Sum,  yeah the 30% drop is big, should I really get hooked on this LSR deal and get real serios I will switch to a 5 or 6 speed manual with closer spacing.  Right now as I am a big guy along with size 13 shoes, I am staying with the auto tranny in the 33 Vicky as the foot area is small (dont think I have room for a clutch pedal and my big feet too)

I think since the Maxton track is only 2 hours from my house, it will be a good (great) intro into this LSR stuff. I have been there 3 times and the people are just great.  I am certain I will enjoy it and that I will have many more questions as I proceed. 

Thanks again for all your insight and those cool spreadsheets.  (you ever get to NC look me up)

Charles
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2007, 01:49:28 PM »
...........  Right now as I am a big guy along with size 13 shoes, I am staying with the auto tranny in the 33 Vicky as the foot area is small (dont think I have room for a clutch pedal and my big feet too)

I think since the Maxton track is only 2 hours from my house, it will be a good (great) intro into this LSR stuff. I have been there 3 times and the people are just great.  I am certain I will enjoy it and that I will have many more questions as I proceed. 

Thanks again for all your insight and those cool spreadsheets.  (you ever get to NC look me up)

Charles

I glad the spreadsheets are of some use.  I'd like a standard in my truck also, but even though I don't fit into 13's I'm still way short on room.  I plan on being to Maxton for the April meet and sure hope to run my truck then.

c ya there,

Sum

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2007, 02:53:18 PM »
Sum,

Hope to see you in April at Maxton,,, The plan is to have the Vicky done a debut it there in April.  If not I will still be there and get my E license in my 39 Chevy Coupe.  I would rather run my 36 Roadster but it is a glass car and has no roll bar or even seat belts.  I guess I can run my steel 39 Chevy Coupe for Time Only under 125mph for E License? (it does not have a roll bar, but it is a steel car with seat belts too... I am guessing I will keep it to between 100 and 120 ...
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2007, 04:04:57 PM »
Don't kid yourself that the salt is not hard on drivetrain components. The momentum change at shifts is where the shock load comes from.

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2007, 06:47:40 PM »
Sum,

I am not very up on manual tranny's.  If my Vicky tunnel is designed for a 700R4  will a tremec 5 speed fit ? (I may have the chassis dude rig up the brackets for a clutch pedal in case I change my mind later)

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2007, 11:50:43 PM »
Sum,

I am not very up on manual tranny's.  If my Vicky tunnel is designed for a 700R4  will a tremec 5 speed fit ? (I may have the chassis dude rig up the brackets for a clutch pedal in case I change my mind later)

Charles

Sorry I can't help you on that one.  I'd call one of the places that sells them.  They advertise in a lot of the car mags,

Sum

dwarner

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2007, 09:40:39 AM »
Sum,

I am not sure of the year of the transmissions. I do know that John's hop up did include some hard parts.

DW

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2007, 10:28:05 AM »
Sum,

I am not sure of the year of the transmissions. I do know that John's hop up did include some hard parts.

DW

I got a hold of my friend that built mine (I would rather not use his name or the company he works for since he did this on his time).  He builds performance transmissions for a living for a major transmission company.  Here is what he had to say:

the shafts of the L80e probably broke off at the splines in the OD planet.

GM changed the input shaft heat treat process in 96 or 97 as I recall. the trans you have was a 1998 unit.

there is a billet input shaft of 300M material ( I think) . that shaft is about 450 dollars. I doubt these guys were breaking that special shaft.

I got new parts for the rebuild such as the clutches and bands, etc., but not new hard parts.  Hope I'll be ok since I just spent a lot of money on this deal to get something stronger than my 700R4. 

Thanks for the reply,

Sum

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2007, 09:05:15 AM »
Sum,

When do you plan on arriving in NC ?  Will you be staying near Maxton/Laurinburg ?

OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2007, 08:41:18 PM »
Sum,

When do you plan on arriving in NC ?  Will you be staying near Maxton/Laurinburg ?

When I arrive depends on if I'm by myself or not.  If Gary and the Docs take the Buick I might tag along with them from Missouri on and would get there Thurs./Fri..  If they don't get there I'll probably arrive on Thurs. and plan on staying at the track with the teardrop if that is possible.

c ya,

Sum

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2007, 10:07:23 PM »
Sum,

I live about 2 hours from the track. I think they have rookie meetings on Friday afternoon. I plan to be there then. Have not decided if I will stay there Fri and Sat night or if I will drive back and forth.

With the cost of diesel for my truck and trailer, may be better to get a room.

I look forward to meeting you there.

See ya then...

CK
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT